Is nursing still right for me?

<p>I am going to be a sophomore next semester. My first semester was great! The seconded semester not so much. I took a chemistry course because I did not pass chemistry with a c or better in high school. To get in to the IU school of nursing you must have a c+ or better. So, I took this college chemistry class and it was very hard for me. I got a tutor and worked my but off. Still I ended u with a F in the class. Dropped my GPA to a 3.0. I really don't think I will ever be able to get a c+ in any Chemistry course. I don't know what to do now. Should I try a different path that doesn't require science... which is the hardest thing for me. I am great in liberal arts but I don't think there is really a good outlook for a liberal arts degree... help!</p>

<p>Take a look at the curriculum at a few nursing schools where you might want to attend.</p>

<p>From what I’ve seen, they do require chemistry in high school, as well as college level chemistry, plus lots of biology and anatomy.</p>

<p>Don’t worry about that. Just push harder.</p>

<p>Who knows? Maybe your not really trying like you say you are or perhaps you just need an easier professor to help you better understand the subject. Try checking [Rate</a> My Professors | Find and rate your professor, campus and more - RateMyProfessors.com](<a href=“http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/]Rate”>http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/) if you decide to take Chemistry again. Second try may be just righhhhhhhhhht ! </p>

<p>Good Luck!</p>

<p>The F and 3.0 are probably going to be problems for nursing. Even in nursing programs that may not require chemistry as a prereq, there are going to be other classes in the sciences and the F is going to show up on your transcript. </p>

<p>You are actually lucky that you found out that nursing may not be right for you this early. Changing majors is very common. It doesn’t mean that your only option is a liberal arts degree that won’t be of any value. It’s just time to research other careers. Browse the jobs at Monster Board to see if something looks interesting. Go through the list of available majors at your current school, and majors at other schools. Some school web-sites have a list of possible uses for degrees, so you get to see what graduates have done. </p>

<p>For example, you may want to think about health care administration, a business degree with a focus in human resources (if you’re a “people person”), education/counseling, social work, etc. If your current school doesn’t offer a particular major, you may have to be open-minded about transferring as a Junior or even as a 2nd semester sophomore. If that’s necessary, try to take classes that will transfer with you and that would be required prereqs for your new major. </p>

<p>One of my kids ended up transferring to pursue a new major, after he discovered he wasn’t a science kid too. Yes, it was stressful and he felt bad for awhile when he realized that he couldn’t earn the degree that he had originally wanted. He spent a few months researching new majors and meeting with advisors. He wasn’t happy about transferring, although he accepted that it was necessary since his first school didn’t offer his new major. It turned out great though. As soon as he was studying something that he liked, his grades skyrocketed. He managed to graduate in 4 years - in fact, he even picked up a minor. </p>

<p>So don’t panic. Right now there’s probably a liberal arts kid out there with an F in a writing class, who is depressed and trying to think of a science major.</p>