Is Purdue good for ALL engineering majors?

I know some majors are ranked higher than others, and no campus can be good for all majors. I’ve heard that Purdue is great for well-established majors like mechanical, electrical, and computer engineering, but it is not as strong for majors such as bio or biomedical engineering. Is this true? Will a BME major get the same opportunities as say a ME major? How are research, co-op, and internship opportunities?

Purdue biological engineering is #1 in the country as part of the ABE department. And I know BME isn’t ranked as well as the other departments, but it’s a top 20 program. So as long as you’re in a pre planned major (aka not IDE or MDE), then you’re in a top 20 program. Plus, with a number 9 overall engineering undergrad ranking, you can’t go wrong.

As for opportunities, you won’t have the same as ME since BME is a more narrow focus. But if you’re looking into medical devices, then I know people who have cooped and interned as BMEsat these companies and a person who does coop with a medical device company as an ME. The opportunities are there for research too.

@naturaldistaster thanks for your reply! One more question: how cut-throat is engineering at Purdue? Do students genuinely help one another or is it an “every man for himself” mentality? Also, once accepted into engineering and completing the FYE courses, is it easy to get the major you want (BME in my case)?

Engineering is generally collaborative. I’ve been waiting in ME 270/274 help rooms and gotten help from other students instead of the busy TA. I mean there’s some people who are paranoid that helping one person will destroy the curve, but in my experience that’s the exception and not the rule. BME is now a lot easier to get into now than when I was a freshman. There used to be an exam, and they only took like 40 kids. I think this year’s sophomore BME class is like 80 kids or they’re looking into that being the class for next year. I forgot. But all people I know who tried got in. I think part of the reason tht they’re increasing the amount of admitted bmes is because it has a high transfer out rate since sometimes people decide they would fit into me or EE better.

@naturaldistaster Thank you!