Is UA open on Martin Luther King Day?

<p>My S and I are planning a visit to UA January 20th. I want to be sure he sees the campus when students are present. Anyone have an answer for us?</p>

<p>No classes that day. It’s when MLK Bday is observed.</p>

<p>There won’t be many/any kids around campus during the day.</p>

<p>You’re coming from OOS right?</p>

<p>Can you spend the night Monday and tour on Tuesday?</p>

<p>Are you ACThater’s mom?</p>

<p>Because that is a 3day weekend, kids will not likely actually return on campus til evening.</p>

<p>For 3 day weekends, kids take off to go skiing, beach (warmer months), visit friends, do community service projects, etc.</p>

<p>Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday is one of the few holidays where UA is closed. Many students will still be on campus, but they’ll likely be in their dorm rooms. </p>

<p>Is your son a current high school senior eligible for the Honors College? If so, Capstone Scholars Day is that Saturday (January 18th). There will be a lot of prospective students on campus that Friday, meaning that it might be harder to schedule visits with professors and such, but one will get to meet a lot of their future classmates and find potential roommates.</p>

<p>Yes, I’m ACThaters mom, and he got a 31 on the December test. I wasn’t aware of the events going on January 18th. Maybe I should plan to come down for that and visit the campus on Friday the 17th. Do you think it’s too late to set up?</p>

<p>The Honors College is in charge of Capstone Scholars Day. Call them to see if there’s any availability and to see if they can schedule some professor/class visits as well. You can also have your son call his intended major department and ask if there’s a professor he can meet with to discuss course options. If there’s a class he’d like to visit, contact the instructor.</p>

<p>Congrats on your son’s score. :)</p>

<p>Contact Allison and Susan in the Honors College and ask if you and your son can attend that.</p>

<p>And ask them if they can help you set up Friday. See if there are any tour spots left on campus (probably not at this late date since many are coming early to tour on Friday). If there are no campus tour spots open, ask them if there’s something else that can be arranged for that Friday. </p>

<p>I have to warn you…lots of OOS people come for that weekend and will be there on Friday. The HC will be overwhelmed with all of these visitors on one day so things can get hectic. Susan and Allison are very organized, but with 1000 people coming there’s going to be miscues.</p>

<p>Allison Verhine
Coordinator
269 Nott Hall
205-348-5534
<a href=“mailto:allison.verhine@ua.edu”>allison.verhine@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Susan Alley
Assistant Coordinator
270 Nott Hall
205-348-5599
<a href=“mailto:susan.alley@ua.edu”>susan.alley@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>provide name stats major and any other interests. Date of visit. If you were able to reserve a campus tour time (try onlne now), then provide that for Allison and Susan. If not, then tell them that as well.</p>

<p>Email both of them Follow up with a phone call in case your emails go to their spam folders.</p>

<p>I need to clarify…Capstone Scholars Day will be highly organized. However, that Friday the day before will be crazy because of all these students coming and going in different directions on campus.</p>

<p>I’m guessing that you mean to come on Thursday and spend Friday on campus to see students and profs?</p>

<p>Mom2ck, I’m very proud of his hard work and he definitely is psyched about visiting the campus. Capstone day won’t work for us because of a previous commitment but I’m definitely trying to get another date set up. Thanks for all your information. You are a wealth of UA info!</p>