It's okay UW, I don't want you either.

<p>I was rejected after being waitlisted from Madison, but somehow got accepted to NYU with scholarships. NYU seems to be a lot more selective and at the same level as Wisconsin. Oh well, I'm off to NYC! Maybe it's because I didn't apply until December. Does anyone know if UW's process is more numbers-based than NYU's?</p>

<p>Congrats! I am glad you got a full ride @ NYU. All the best in the Big Apple!</p>

<p>UW uses a holistic approach but seem to always weight more on quantitative aspects. For in-state students, you have to be extremely competitive (along the line of top 5%).</p>

<p>It isn't a full-ride. I have 12,000 in loans per year. It'll be worth it, though, and not a huge amount more than Madison would've been.</p>

<p>Congrats on the NYU acceptance. I would've applied their as a first choice but NYC would've probably been too much for me personally.</p>

<p>Awesome job with the scholarship too!</p>

<p>Good luck next year, NYU is awesome :)</p>

<p>Best of luck and if NYU does not work out so well, it's a lot easier to transfer back into UW.</p>

<p>
[quote]
Does anyone know if UW's process is more numbers-based than NYU's?

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Based on anecdotal evidence, as well as my own experience, HELL YES, to a huge fault I think. Madison is one of the most numbers-oriented top schools around.</p>

<p>case in point:</p>

<p>I know someone who had loads of awesome ECs (8 years violin, varsity soccer captain, national writing awards, editor of school newspaper) and had a 29 ACT composite, tons of AP and honors, but was just barely out of the top 20% in a very competitive school near Madison. </p>

<p>She was waitlisted and eventually rejected, which is ridiculous considering the following cases:</p>

<p>1)A girl with one AP and three honors courses her entire high school career gets in by being in the top 15%. Few ECs, same ACT score.</p>

<p>2)A guy gets in by being in the top 17% (top 20% seems to be the cutoff for most in staters) and a 26 ACT with few ECs gets in.</p>

<p>Go figure!</p>

<p>so is UM Ann Arbor</p>

<p>Except in Texas. If you are in top 10% of your class, you can name any in-state college you like. The real unfortunate downside is if academy isn't one of your talents, good luck getting to Austin/College Station.</p>

<p>hm.... who needs a drink .....</p>

<p>One girl from my school had a 32 ACT but fair EC and lowsy GPA (just barely top quarter) was waitlisted and accepted. It was probably the ACT in the end but I really thought you couldn't get in without being top 10-15%. Guess not.</p>

<p>Getting in with a 32 and that class rank is not surprising. Anything over a 30 will give you a decent shot if you're in the top quarter of your class.</p>

<p>However, yet another one of my friends was waitlisted then rejected with a 31, top 20% and awesome ECs. Go figure. I'm just glad I got in.</p>

<p>does anyone have the statistics for which programs at madison are rated?</p>

<p>Is there anything published about where madison sends its undergrads...how many go on to graduate school, what schools do they get into?</p>

<p>I have never came across a comprehensive listing of every rated/ranked programs at Madison. For L&S majors, see pg 13 of the annual report: <a href="http://www.ls.wisc.edu/2005AnnualReport.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.ls.wisc.edu/2005AnnualReport.pdf&lt;/a>
Also a recent press release. <a href="http://www.news.wisc.edu/13625.html%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://www.news.wisc.edu/13625.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>
[quote]
Is there anything published about where madison sends its undergrads...how many go on to graduate school, what schools do they get into?

[/quote]

I think these particular stats are only tracked at departmental level so you best bet is to contact the dean office of a particular department that interests you. Also check out previous threads about pre-law and pre-med. </p>

<p>In general, a good number of undergraduates attend graduate schools at UW. This is hardly surprising given the number of top programs at Wisconsin and their pre-existing relationship with faculty members. </p>

<p>Others have gone to the top places, including the Ivies. Within my circle, quite a few went to grad/professional schools at Harvard. Interestingly, two went to Harvard College and later Wisconsin for grad school (biochemistry & CS). Not sure if this is norm or exception.</p>