I've Only Taken 3 Science Credits, Virginia Tech

I’ve only taken 3 science credits(Bio, Chem, and Physics) and I want to early decision Virginia Tech. I haven’t taken any AP science courses and am currently not taking a science course senior year. However I’ve taken 4 Engineering/Technology Courses and 7 Math Courses. I’m currently take 4 other AP classes. My gpa is a 3.78 and I got 1950 on the SAT. I’ve done plenty of volunteer work, I am a national honors society member, scholar athlete, varsity letter, have a current internship with an engineer, and am currently researching and developing a product for a humanitarian cause. What would you say my chances are of getting into Virginia Tech?

Why is this an issue?

http://www.admiss.vt.edu/apply/what-we-look-for/

Read the Admission Requirements on the Web Site!!

Yeah but since it’s a really good engineering school don’t you think they would choose a kid who took an AP science over one who didn’t? Or is it looked down upon to not take a science cour

During the admission tour that we took last year. The admission counselor said that they prefer to see AP Physics on the engineering students applications. Hope that helps!

Okay thank you! What would you think if I declared as an undecided major student instead of going straight to engineering. I guess that way it wouldn’t look as bad as me going into Engineering without AP Physics.

If you are interested in Engineering then apply for Engineering. If they like you but don’t think you are ready for Engineering they will offer admission to University Studies. Admissions likes to see that applicants challenge themselves. So, yes they would prefer AP Physics over Honors and Honors over Regular. On the other hand if you have taken AP Calculus that’s a big plus.

You mentioned your combined SAT score. VT Engineering looks most closely at your Math score. Best is in the 700s and it gets iffy with Math SATs much below 650. It’s not impossible to gain admittance with a Math SAT lower than 650 but they take fewer in that range and your goal is to graduate from Engineering not just get in.

Good luck

Okay, thank you! That actually helps a lot. :slight_smile: