JMU MT Notifications

Does anyone know when and how JMU will notify you about whether you were accepted into the program or not?

1. must be academically accepted first
  2. shows up in the portal
  3. letter
    @KatMT can answer more thoroughly :wink:

Thanks, CD was already academically accepted through the portal in January, just wondering if that is also how the MT notifications are sent. But received a PM from another member with some answers thank you.

Notifications should be sent to EA academic admits by the beginning of the second week in March, if not earlier. We are working to get everything ready to go out before we go on spring break March 5.

For RD admits notifications will be sent after JMU releases academic admissions decisions… usually sometime between March 21 and March 28. Our decisions are sent by April 1.

All students will receive a letter, some will receive an email or a phone call.

Kate

Thanks Kate, @KatMT. The academic admit was through the mymadison so I was wondering if we had to keep checking that. I am sure you have your hands full and I appreciate your checking in on CC to respond. :slight_smile:
Patience is a strong virtue required in this MT world!!

We are working towards in the future for all admissions decisions to be available though the mymadison portal, but at this point the artistic admissions decisions are through snail mail and email.

@KatMT I am old fashioned I guess, I like the snail mail. It didnt feel the same seeing her academic acceptance on mymadison as getting a big envelope in the mail like the other schools. I guess I have to get with the times. lol

@Joyfulmama - I completely agree with you, if I had my “druthers” all schools would use the big envelope :slight_smile:

@toowonderful…back when more schools still sent snail mail envelopes, my MT D got into Ithaca and the acceptance came in a small envelope. @-)

Ours are in small envelopes… but I get the excitement of the big envelope. :slight_smile:

Big envelopes can have their drawbacks too, at least in my experience…true story:

When my MT daughter applied to college, she applied Early Action to Emerson, in order to get one audition under her belt before the holidays and to get one decision on the early side. She had one friend in our HS who also applied for MT (only one other in the whole HS), and she also did EA to Emerson. The EA decisions come out on a certain day in December for Emerson. In our family, the parents don’t open any admissions decisions online or in snail mail, as it is for the kid to do themselves. On that day, I drove out to our mailbox (we lived on a dirt road with a LONG driveway) and the mailman was just delivering our mail and there was a big envelope from Emerson. I even said to the mailman excitedly, “my daughter just got into college!” But I did not open the big envelope.

Daughter calls me from HS at lunch time on a pay phone (our cells did not get reception in our rural mountain community). Her good friend who applied EA for MT to Emerson had driven home to check her mail during the lunch period. My D did not have that option because she had just turned 16 and didn’t yet obtain her license. Friend returned to school saying she had gotten into Emerson. D tells me to open the envelope while she is on the phone as she can’t wait to find out. I’m smiling because it is the BIG envelope and I’m all excited! I open it and start reading the cover letter in a big packet that has all the bells and whistles in it and it says how she is accepted, yadda yadda, and my voice is full of enthusiasm and then halfway down the letter, I continue to read that while accepted to Emerson Early Action, she is deferred for MT until Regular Decision. At the time, we didn’t realize this was a possible outcome. We thought it was all or nothing (or deferral overall), and so were mistaken to get so excited that she was accepted (I realize that is a nice thing too, but she would never consider Emerson without the BFA in MT acceptance) and obviously a deferral on the MT program to RD was also pretty positive, but it just was not an outcome we knew as a possibility and so the BIG ENVELOPE felt very deceiving. I wish I had known this and had played down the big envelope!

Turns out the friend also was academically accepted to Emerson but deferred for the BFA in MT until the regular round, but that was not clear at first with that friend either. Postscript…that friend only applied to TWO schools (yes, I know!!) and eventually got into Emerson for the BFA in MT in spring. She had applied ED to NYU/Tisch (an all or nothing school) and was denied (not on the academic end, I am sure since she was salutatarion of the class). My D was denied the BFA program at Emerson in the spring RD round, but got into Tisch (and others), and that is the nature of the beast. D attended NYU and friend attend BFA in MT program at Emerson, though later switched out of the BFA program, though stayed at Emerson and is now a singer/songwriter.

Oh boy! That must have been so disappointing! when my son applied, a couple of the schools said be on the lookout for the Big Red envelope or similar,so that was wonderful when that envelope came we knew what it meant. My D did EA for every school so academic acceptances came early most by mail, but waiting for the MT side is a killer! We printed the online academic acceptance from JMU to have something tangible lol!

Waiting for the envelope was a lot more fun back in the day before social media would make it obvious that students who lived geographically closer to the school knew their outcome. In my geographically far mind, “mymadison” or the equivalent is a big improvement plus it also means the student can know before the parent as it should be.

I accidenly flipped the notification details for JMU…

Everyone will receive an email with program admissions results. Some may receive a phone call as well. Scholarship offers, which will go out a little later than EA admissions decisions will be emailed and snail mailed.

The timeline mentioned is the same.

EA decisions will start being emailed this week, and continue through early next week. Each is sent as a separate email, so they will go one at a time. No mass email blast.

Thanks @KatMT for clarifying!!

Hi @KatMT Thank you for providing information to anxious parents and students on this forum!
Should regular decision students also expect to see email audition results this week or just those that applied early decision? Thanks again!

Hello @SingerDancerMom,

JMU does not release it’s RD academic decisions until middle to late March. We let RD academic admits know whether or not they have been admitted to the program immediately following the academic admissions decisions.

We only let those admitted to JMU academically know if they have also been admitted to the program. If a student is not admitted academically they will not here from us whether or no they would have been admitted to the program if they had been admitted academically.

Last year JMU posted their academic admissions around March 27, and we started sending emails March 28. All notifications were sent by April 1. I anticipate a similar timeline this year… so only a few more weeks of waiting for RD admits.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any additional questions you may have.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! This waiting is a killer. It’s really helpful to have a time frame. Saves us from the constant checking.

What JMU does (and many other schools do) with one concrete date…is MUCH preferred in my view. No guessing. It is stressful enough but you know when you will find out and don’t need to focus on that until that day. You don’t have to wonder what to expect or why some heard already and you didn’t, etc.

JMU regular decision academic acceptances were posted to the My Madison portal this afternoon. hopefully MT decisions will be out soon!