Just got accepted!

<p>@blueiguana… any idea when those $5k OOS awards go out?</p>

<p>@mcresse19 That makes sense. The official "hokie bird’ is only for transfer students like I previously thought. But the one next to financial aid could also act as the same thing because why would they tell us how much they can give us and the deny us.</p>

<p>@blueiguana: Uh-oh, that’s not good news. S really wants to stay close to home (Tech), but it’s hard to ignore the substantial cost difference!</p>

<p>@granipc - Based on the last two years they are announced via snail mail and arrive around 3/30-4/1.</p>

<p><a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/1112809-virginia-tech-merit-based-scholarships.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/virginia-tech/1112809-virginia-tech-merit-based-scholarships.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>@ Dominar - Things certainly change year to year and there are always exceptions, so obviously wait until your son gets all information from VT. I would have your son speak with his intended majors department. Often there is scholarship funds available for upperclassmen. I certainly understand following the money. My hs 2011 grad had an OOS full tuition scholarship, however once you added room, board, travel, ‘fees’, etc, the difference between that and a Va in-state public was negligible. We gave our son the choice. He is in-state and very happy.</p>

<p>@gigagirl, my son is in the exact same situation with the “hokie bird” and the financial aid award letter on the guest account. It is interesting to say the least. Financial aid office just says that they put packages together for everyone that fills out a FASFA, and uses their school code. But I, like you, wonder why they would bother to put it together, and then post it early without admissions offer. I know we will find out certainly on March 22, but has anyone ever heard of earlier admissions notifications (new, incoming freshman, not a transfer)?</p>

<p>DS has applied as an entering freshman, not as a transfer student, and he has a Hokie bird next to his FA notification. We still don’t know if he has been accepted. We have never received a financial aid notification before an admission decision with other schools, and only after having been accepted, so this is very frustrating. Really hope we dont have to wait all the way to the 22nd or even later. The concept of rolling admissions is also frustrating, knowing folks have been hearing but we have heard nothing. Can we get a decision, please?!!</p>

<p>No Hokie Bird for my D. So, that is probably good news for you and S. Best of luck.</p>

<p>The Hokie bird is next to financial aid notification link. Does your D have financial aid notification?</p>

<p>No. The only thing on the “Application Menu” screen is a link for “Scholarship and Financial Aid Information” that when clicked on, sends you outside the application directly to a webpage on the regular VT website. No birds. I’m sure I would have found it.</p>

<p>The bird may not signify admission; it may just signify a financial aid package, if you dont have a financial aid package. Those of us w the bird, have it next to the link to our fin aid packages. Did you apply for fin aid?</p>

<p>Yes, we applied for financial aid and we’ve also received a financial aid package award with our acceptance to University of Kentucky, so I must’ve done it correctly.</p>

<p>There is no fin aid packages, only the link on screen I mentioned.</p>

<p>Then I dont think your lack of a bird is significant. It seems to be the bird indicates the FA package is listed.</p>

<p>Portal changed today.
D-OOS just received in her portal a financial aid award letter of $12,500 loans, grants, work-study on a $40,000 tuition, room and board. Hokie bird attached. No mention of admittance yet. Unsure what that means…</p>

<p>A financial aid award most likely means acceptance. The next round of official announcements will probably be late march. Best of luck!</p>

<p>I got accepted as well!</p>

<p>But did any of you guys get an acceptance letter?
Like a soft copy or something? I haven’t been able to get mine.
Just shows offered admission and some other stuff on the portal.</p>

<p>My acceptance letter came in the mail a little over a week ago.</p>

<p>Do international students also get an acceptance letter via mail?</p>

<p>@indianstudent
I am an international and i got it through ups mail.It took about a month after my acceptance to get a hard copy.The office will probably contact you soon about this.</p>

<p>Sent from my GT-I9100 using CC</p>

<p>That’s awesome. They email us regarding it?
I got in a week back. No email yet. But that’s good news.</p>

<p>Sent from my Nexus 4 using CC</p>

<p>Is this Friday the date they let you know? I’ve been hearing that lately.</p>