Just got accepted!

<p>Just got admitted to VT.Not sure about the major though. I was planning to study petroleum in but since I have got no reply till now from texas A&M , I think I will study civil eng here.Heard that civil eng here is one of the best in the U.S.</p>

<p>Congrats to all who have been accepted so far!</p>

<p>dustaatma, yes VT has one of the top civil engineering departments in the country.</p>

<p>DS has not heard whether he is accepted or not but he did receive notification of financial aid awards. Does that mean he is in?</p>

<p>^No, it says in the email that a financial award notification is not the same as an admissions decision. Your song hasn’t been accepted yet, sorry.</p>

<p>On that note, did anyone else get a really bad fin aid offer? I know I’m out of state but I was expecting a lot more than what I got.</p>

<p>Out of state students usually do not get much financial aid. In state students get priority when it comes to financial aid.</p>

<p>It is so weird but we dont get any communication from thme. Found the fin aid awards info on the admissions portal, did not receive an email notification about it, so nothing to indicate the financial aid awarding is unrelated to admissions. Glad SOMEONE got an email telling them that and thanks for sharing!</p>

<p>Same for me. No email notification but when looked on admissions portal found the famous Hokie Bird with financial aid information with the statment “We are pleased to offer you the following financial aid listed below” along with extensive details. Have to quit looking at all these hopeful indicators/signs and wait for the decision line to light up.</p>

<p>I was accepted a few days ago, and I logged on yesterday to find my financial aid offers were available to look at. I’m also put of state ¶, and I actually got a pretty hefty amount of aid.</p>

<p>Why would a school go thru the process/trouble of reviewing a students Financial Aid prospect, put together a package, post it on the ‘admissions’ portal if they did not intend on offering that student admission??? I find it hard to beleive they would go thru all that work with EVERY application sent in first, and then make an admission decision after that. Applications that they know will be in the denied pile surely wouldn’t be looked at any further for Finacial Aid packages. I realize it is not a formal notice of acceptance into the school, but surely it means something positive is forthcoming?? Anyone have expericence in past years with this situation of being shown a financial aid package only to be denied admission a few weeks later?</p>

<p>…and, reviewing and scoring Honors application - but no admission decision?</p>

<p>According to the website, each department seems to do its own thing. I would just wait for the admissions office before relying on any of these other areas.</p>

<p>I got accepted to VT TECH. And after about a week , I received an email from the College of Engineering.</p>

<p>SO yeah . Every college does its own thing. Wait for the email from the specific colleges.</p>

<p>Plus, I have a feeling the majority of notifications are going to be made around April 1st. I’m pretty sure (other than Early Decision) this was only the first wave of acceptances to go out.</p>

<p>S is not going to qualify for any financial aid, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for a significant “recruitment” (aka merit) scholarship. Anyone know when those will be given out? Are they going to come from the individual schools and/or the Honors College?</p>

<p>I’m thinking perhaps some people are not getting emails because of spam filters, etc., so I want to be on the lookout!</p>

<p>Went on the Admissions Portal last night and saw my son had the Hokie Bird next to his Financial Aid Packet. Did not receive an e-mail on this, but also did not check son’s spam filter box. No official notice of admissions, but I would bet money this is a very good sign of impending admissions offer. He has been accepted into VCU and George Mason (engineering), but has little interest in these. Really wants Tech., and has to stay in-state. Still waiting on Tech and JMU, but he’ll be going somewhere this fall!! :></p>

<p>We are in-state and only got offered less than 3,000 in Federal Stafford Loans. I fully expected this based on our family income (athough we had no reportable assests).</p>

<p>We are fortunate in that we opened a pre-paid VA 529 plan when our boys were toddlers, so we’ve got tuition and fees covered. Just have to manage R&B.</p>

<p>With the exception of the Dean/Davenport in the e’school (which has it’s own application), and merit given during the honors interview weekend, VT does not give a lot of merit and/or preferential financial aid packaging (ie grants over loans for ‘higher rated’ students). It’s not uncommon for OOS students to see a $5k merit award. VTs COA is less then many peer institutions instate and OOS and they don’t rely heavily on merit awards to attract top talent beyond what I mentioned above.</p>

<p>@gigagirl Does the hokie bird next to the financial aid actually mean something?</p>

<p>If you search this forum for ‘hokie bird’ you will see many posts with people making reference to having this ‘hokie bird’ show up on their admissions page (especially transfer students) as a good sign. I have no direct knowledge of it’s meaning, just what I’ve researched on this forum.</p>

<p>@gigagirl Since posting I’ve looked around and saw it means you usually get in. However I think that’s for transfer students only. This one could just be a graphic to compliment financial aid, because that’s when my showed up.
So i’m wondering if anyone doesnt have the bird next to their financial aid information?</p>

<p>I am a transfer student, and when the Hokie bird appears on your actual application status page, it says something about “credit evaluation” next to it. Therefore, that particular hokie bird (I am almost certain) only appears for transfer applicants. This hokie bird is a good sign of acceptance. The hokie bird next to the financial aid letter I would assume is also a good sign because I am not sure why they would offer you financial aid if they were planning on denying you. Of course, I can’t be sure. I was accepted after the transfer Hokie bird appeared (found out Monday), and on Tuesday the financial aid letter showed up.</p>