Scholarship Probation Question

<p>So I’m a sophomore at bama right now, with the presidential (full tuition) scholarship, and my first year did not go very well academically. 1st semester went really well but 2nd semester I failed one class and got a C- in another. I ended up with a 2.89 GPA for the year, so this year I’m on scholarship probation. I’m pretty confident I’ll easily make more than a 3.0 this semester, especially since that failed class was totally avoidable and my fault.</p>

<p>However, in the letter I got over the summer, it stated that my scholarship will be withheld for the spring semester until grades are in. Checking the payment schedule, payment is due on December 13, 2013, while grades are due December 17.</p>

<p>Does this mean I’ll have to pay for Spring 2013, and then wait till grades are confirmed for a refund? Since I’m an out-of-state student, that’s $12,000. That’s quite a bit of money for me to come up with, especially since my family isn’t very wealthy. Does anyone know what would happen if you don’t pay by the December 13th deadline?</p>

<p>the best place to get this answer is at UA … contact the bursar’s office and ask … they have dealt with this situation many times and know the correct answer.</p>

<p>I am not sure how they would handle this, but if you have to pay (till your grades are in), see if you can defer the spring semester payment. Perhaps you can put yourself on a monthly payment plan, so you would only have to pay a smaller portion upfront.</p>

<p>I know that you now realize that school must be your First Priority this semester to get your GPA over a 3.0 However, try for an even higher GPA to give yourself some leeway for the following semester.
I would suggest that you take a good look at your class schedule to make sure that you are not overloaded with difficult classes or too many credits this semester. Remember the goal is to get that GPA up and save your scholarship. I am presuming that you will not be able to stay at Bama without the scholarship. Do everything in your power to succeed. Study, study, study, sleep, eat right, take vitamins, exercise for energy, stay away from ANY distractions, and use the library and tutoring services. Avail yourself of office hours and be proactive about your grades, stay on top of your homework and reading assignments. Keep a calendar of things to do and stick with a schedule.</p>

<p>Might I inquire as to what went wrong? I am not trying to be intrusive but you can help current and future students here if you can give them some insight and details on what not to do. Perhaps they can learn from your situation.</p>

<p>I will definitely be a perfect student this semester. I had a 3.7 or so the first semester, so I should be able to do it. Last semester was really just a series of unfortunate events, from oversleeping tests to forgetting homework. The F and the C- the 2nd semester were both in pretty difficult classes (Organic 2 and Differential equations). I failed a test, then did poorly on the 2nd one, and then overslept and missed a test (8 am classes). That missed test was, from what I heard, the easiest test the semester, so I basically ended up wasting my dropped test. I just did poorly in general, kinda gave up after missing a test after the withdraw date passed and just accepted that I would fail the class. I didn’t realize I would end up below 3.0 for the year.</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing all of this - this info is very helpful for students in this situation (or to help avoid this situation in the future). Please post back what answers you received from the bursar’s office and how they were able to help you.</p>

<p>Thank you for sharing. I STILL have the common nightmare about oversleeping for an exam, and I’m 49! The lesson to be learned obviously is that letting your work slide or suffer because you think that “oh well” it’s already a lost cause so “whatever” can have a BIG impact if you’re not looking at the bigger picture. I’m sure you’ll be just fine with the right focus. Valuable lesson learned. When you touch the flame and find out it’s hot, you don’t touch the flame again! Keep that weekly assignment journal … I bet there’s an App for that, so that you don’t miss an assignment. And I know that alarm clocks are a dime a dozen. Good luck, and RTR!</p>

<p>Okay, well thank for you for sharing and being honest. I wish you the best of luck this semester.</p>

<p>Don’t be embarrassed to ask for a wake up call for an important test, sure you can set an alarm but sometimes we can sleep through an alarm. Set two, three, four alarms on your cellphone. Put the cellphone across the room, so you have to get up to answer it. Whatever it takes…do it!</p>

<p>Also go see your professors right away, get to know them, let them know that it is very important for you to get a good grade. Right away, ask if there are any extra credit opportunities. This can help to insure a good grade.</p>

<p>Don’t be afraid to drop a class. If you are passed the deadlines don’t give up.
NEVER give up after a bad grade, buckle down and study, go for tutoring, join a study group, heck, join two, talk to the professor. Ask for help.</p>

<p>Watch those classes, balance your semesters.
If you are not an early morning person, don’t take an early morning class.</p>

<p>What is your major? Are you pre- med? It sounds like you might have to think about lightening your load each semester to get through the hard classes. Perhaps you are rethinking your major…that happens a lot. If you are not happy with the class material that often reflects in your interest level and grade for the class. Don’t be afraid to explore a new avenue of study.</p>

<p>Bless your heart. We all have bad semesters. And the problem with college, with one bad test, there are not many opportunities to make up that bad grade. Been there, done that, son doing the repeat. </p>

<p>I do know that Bama is very generous in helping kids correct these mishaps and I think it would be in your best interest to talk to people at the Honors College for advice and guidance. Remember, they offer these scholarships to lure people like you to their school, and they want to keep you there!</p>

<p>Will keep you in my prayers and hope you have a successful semester and rest of your college days.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>It happens. Son had to drop a class he was doing well in because he slept through a test. He had to take it over the summer. Also on the presidential, his gpa dipped below 3.0 fall semester sophomore year. He ended up deciding engineering was not for him, changed his major, and got a 3.98 spring semester.</p>

<p>Quickquestion123: Are you still with us? Listen, things happen…we are happy to see you being proactive and reacting positively to the situation. Hope all the advice is helpful, it is the same advice I would give my student. You will succeed by taking one step at a time and continuing on your journey. Everyone stumbles, but you have already done the hard part, you’re up and ready for the new semester. :)</p>