Withdrew from semester - question about scholarship

<p>I’ve already posted about this before so I will spare the details. I have been struggling in recent semesters and it culminated in having to withdraw from fall 2014. I started the withdrawal process on mybama and got an email saying it has been approved, but it is not finalized until i finish the exit counseling. I did not apply for a medical withdrawal (i am not sure if that makes a difference either way)</p>

<p>being on scholarship probation, I do not know whether or not I will lose my scholarship (i am waiting to hear back from financial aid on that) and I cannot confirm my schedule for the spring because my scholarship is not yet renewed.</p>

<p>I am trying to dig myself out of this hole, because obviously this has been my own doing. I feel as if I am out of options if I do lose my scholarship. I did not get the chance to speak to someone at the university before I left for winter break, but have been reaching out to the financial aid people to see what my situation is. I am very unsure who at the university to actually contact about this. I just want to know what my situation and options are at this point.</p>

<p>edit:
I plan on meeting with UA counseling as soon as I get back this spring to discuss my issues in and out of class. i have had spells of anxiety and depression and even more stress recently due to starting a job.</p>

<p>There is a significance between a withdrawal and a medical withdrawal. The latter requires more documentation and is much more forgiving in terms of grades and scholarship options. Do not complete any exit counseling before talking with people from UA.</p>

<p>You really should’ve talked to an academic advisor before initiating any withdrawal on your own. It was as simple as walking into your college’s advising department and asking for someone to talk to about initiating a medical withdrawal. UA employs many professionals who are trained on how to help in this situation.</p>

<p>While some people do improve their time management skills when starting a job, it’s very important to know that school comes first. If one is having trouble in school, the answer is not to get a part time job or to take on more hours at said job.</p>

<p>UA is open at 8:00 am Central on Monday morning. Be ready to call then. You need to contact your academic college, possible your major department, and a licensed medical professional who can certify to UA’s requirements that you need a medical withdrawal. </p>

<p>In the event that you are able to return to UA with a scholarship, you need to call this Monday to schedule an appointment for the spring semester. If you haven’t done so already, check with your insurance to get a a list of mental health insurance professionals in your area. Once you get that list, call and find out who can see you the soonest and specializes in the issues you’re facing. Do note that not all mental health professionals can prescribe medications. </p>

<p>Also, where have your parents, guardians, or trusted friends/family members been during this process? Even if they aren’t allowed to discuss your academic performance without your permission, I can’t imagine someone spending many thousands of dollars to send someone to college not wanting to practice due diligence and make sure that said student is doing all they can to keep a large scholarship. They are here to help you and will provide support while you work on fixing this situation. </p>

<p>I don’t know the details of your situation but I wholeheartedly agree with SEA_tide, you may need someone such as a parent to advocate for you and find out the particulars of keeping your scholarship. If this is due to a medical/mental issue, then you should be asking for a medical withdrawal, perhaps it is not too late to do so. </p>

<p>i think you need to get some kind of medical note so that your withdrawal will be a medical one. Can your parent help you with that?</p>

<p>Please know that you are not alone. My DD is at another school and has suffered from unexplained episodes of anxiety and inability to do school work. Her professors have been flexible because she is documented with her condition. Seek help. When your brain chemicals become imbalanced sometimes you need professional advice on the best way to handle your situation. With a diagnosis from a doctor or counselor, then the University can help you be successful.</p>

<p>I hope it all works out in your favor, @telekinesis . You have been offered good advice on this thread, I hope you follow it. </p>

<p>@telekinesis‌ if you are up to it, let us know how you are doing and what the resolution for your scholarship was.
Best of Luck to you, be well.</p>