Master list of Direct Entry Nursing Programs:

NDSDad - I believe almost every college is more selective for nursing admission than for the general public, with the exception of a couple universities such as U. Penn. and Villanova. Even at Penn and Villanova, the nursing admissions are probably similar in difficulty to the general student body. This selectivity does serve a purpose - it means that nursing students entering the program are likely to finish it and pass the certification. In the old days, it was easier to get into nursing programs, but many students flunked out.

I know it’s off topic, but I just found out that Cal State Fullerton is now direct entry

La Salle is not a direct entry program and should be removed from the list.

http://www.lasalle.edu/nursing/bachelor-of-science-in-nursing-bsn/admission-requirements/

For La Salle, it looks like they admit some freshmen as nursing majors, but then they have to show they have meet certain GPA requirements and not have criminal convictions betore they can officially continue as a nursing major for the junior year. That actually is not that different from some other direct entry programs that require a nursing major to maintain a minimum GPA or they get kicked out of the nursing program.

Please add Regis University, Denver University.

Please add University of Wisonsin, Milwaukee

Should Arizona State University really be on this list as direct admit? The way I understand it, the only difference between ASU’s “direct admit” program and their 2+2 program (a.k.a “competitive” admission program) is that you don’t have to take the TEAS test. Direct admit candidates hoping to advance to the clinical program have to have a 3.75 GPA in 13 prerequisite courses taken freshman and sophomore years. Sounds like this might weed out a lot of candidates. Does anyone have any inside knowledge about whether this is indeed the case?

Entry into LaSalle Nursing can be done 2 ways. Direct entry if HS GPA is 3.0 with requisite curriculum courses and achieving a certain score on the SAT. If you don’t have those, you can take nursing core courses and obtain a certain GPA and pass a test they administer and gain entry to the upper level courses that way.

Does anyone know what grades/scores one needs to get into UVM nursing?

AT Nancy211005 - my d got into Pitt Nursing - freshman entry program - by taking biology, chemistry and anatomy and psy - she is currently taking Psyics now as a senior but when we applied to the colleges - they only saw her transcripts through Junior year. She did have a ACT superscore of a 34 ACT and a 4.1 GPA. She did target freshman entry programs and ones where clinicals are basically walkable. She is from OOS and received a substantial merit offer and is extremely excited for this opportunity. I think it is very important to decide if you want rural vs urban and if you are willing to drive to your clinicals. The suburban schools can have upwards of 50-60 miles commute time for your clinicals. That was a killjoy for my daughter and we wrote those schools off the list.

@RyanG1207 My D enrolled for U Pitt Nursing fall of 2016! We are from OOS and she it beyond excited with her decision! Freshman entry nursing program, walkable clinicals, competitive program, plus city living. She received a generous merit offer and she is looking forward to Pitt Start! H2P!

@Cintimom1 Congrats! Maybe we will see you at PittStart! We are going mid-July. Where does she want to live? My S wants to live in the Nursing LLC.

Georgetown recommends physics, as well.

Only three schools that I know require physics-Georgetown and UConn. As a nurse for many, many years, I do not understand why.

Please look at Case Western. It is a hidden gem. They have partnered with the Cleveland Clinic in a 500 million dollar project; they are building a technologically advanced center that will house the nursing, medical, and dental schools.

Fullerton and San Diego State

@Tobeanurse I agree, Case Western is very impressive. We toured there and loved how the Medicine, Dentistry, nursing and medical library buildings we’re all together. My d IS AT ANOYHER PROGRm in her Freshman year. Question: she says she is getting a BA WITH A MAJOR IN NURSING. Instead of s BSN. I have never heard of this before. Thoughts?

I’m guessing different states may use different terminology. The main question is: is the program properly accredited so that you are eligible to take the RN exam. Also, it is good to know if the program is on probation or a warning that it may lose its accredition.

In any case, be wary of some of the for profit colleges that may not be fully accredited, and which may not provide college credits that can be transferred to a real college, and which may have absurdly low pass rates.

@Charliesch I just checked the college’s nursing page and this is what it says, “The baccalaureate program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education”

http://www.aacn.nche.edu/ccne-accreditation

That is one of the legitimate nursing accrediting organizations. There may be some other organizations with official sounding names that are not legitimate.