McGill Decisions Class of 2027

in America, one would have said the difficulty of his course load and school were evaluated, but that is certainly not the way Canada works. In analytical truth, the only possible “barriers” for him would be his nationality/foreign status and the absence of SAT scores.

it is not his first choice, but if it were, one would suggest submitting SAT score and letter for reconsideration.

Was the 4.0 the unweighted GPA? When did he submit his applications?

My daughter got rejected from Bioengineering a few days ago. 94% from a competitive NYC specialized high school. 1580 SAT. Since Canada is " black and white " and not " holistic " a few of her grades in Math and Science ( all honors , AP and Post AP ) were not up to mark.

Yes 4.0 unweighted. He submitted in November, but was required to submit proof of english proficiency (because his freshman year was spent abroad in France) and his semester grades at the end of January. He was RDP from early February until now. It was better to not submit his English SAT score that was just below the cutoff because that would be an automatic rejection. At least applying TO we thought he’d have a chance. There must be enough applying with scores and equally high GPAs that he was ranked lower.

1 Like

is the general SAT cutoff 1500 across all major/colleges?

bioengineering is one of the most selective majors, so he most likely didn’t make the cut off with 94%

1 Like

That rejection doesn’t make any sense at all (especially for Arts-which has lower cutoffs)…I would wonder if there were some sort of clerical error. As you said he wants to go to UCSD so it doesn’t matter-but if he actually did want to attend McGill, that’s definitely worth a follow up phone call.

2 Likes

I too am at a loss to explain the rejection, especially for Arts. I agree with @MarieMargaret that a call to check on an error would be good.

1 Like

Agreed, if McGill was his top choice, I guess we could call. But we are now happily committed to UCSD. Getting a yes from McGill would only feed his ego. He’s okay.

1 Like

UCSD is TOUGH to get into so contracts to him!

1 Like

Yes, the Wednesday before Easter was a complete mess. Flew into Montreal that day. God bless Candian pilots who can land on a sheet of ice safely. Most of Montreal was without power for days.

I am tired of waiting for the major scholarships. I do not know why they are taking so long. Truly messy application process for absolutely no reason. They cannot just leave us with one week to decide whether the finances work out, it is borderline disrespectful. In the US, the minimum you get is one month to decide.

Remember that McGill is a Canadian school and their process is geared primarily to the Canadian system…

3 Likes

I called and was told that all major scholarship decisions for international students have been made, se we will hear this week.

I have been “Ready for Review” since October 3rd. US student applying for computer engineering. There’s probably no problem, its just a little bit crazy.

She was " Review Decision pending " for a few weeks and then she got rejected. Yes , Bioengineering has the highest cutoff .

I’m wondering if most of the acceptance offers have been made already-next batch will be after May 1st when at least for the American students they have to commit to a college…

It is college specific. Last year’s cutoffs are all posted on-line. Most colleges had a 700/700 as the testing cutoff (my sense it is important that the student meet or exceed the subsection scores as opposed to getting a higher overall score where one subsection is lower). The grade cutoffs are listed as well - not only do you need a A/A- average, but some majors require that you haven’t gotten less than an A in any individual major-related course.

thanks for outlining the 700/700 SAT cut. Do they accept Superscore (say someone scored 690/710 and 720/680, would that applicant qualify?)

Since it’s test optional, can any applicant without 700/700 not submit and Saturday their other requirements? what would be the d’avantage?

Which schools outline higher SAT cuts? For the School of Arts & Science, only see 700/700.

US Athlete recruits are assigned certain avantages : would an athlete with 640/750 SAT qualify, or should he/she apply test optional?

Here are the cutoffs for 2022 by faculty. Click on each faculty. McGill emphasizes that meeting the minimum does not guarantee acceptance.

Requirements for U.S. applicants | Undergraduate Admissions - McGill University

1 Like