Miami Class of 2017

<p>Linymom I also placed the sticker in a visible place to see if DS picks it up.</p>

<p>We got the car sticker too!!! But I told my S I wanted the big fat envelope with money info, not the little postcard with the UM decal…LOL!!!
Not jinxing things by putting it on his car until we know for sure</p>

<p>Hmmm - no car sticker here!! Yes, I’d rather money too…LOL!!</p>

<p>Did anyone else receive the Coral Grant? Mine was for $16,100! Are these renewable for 4 years?</p>

<p>It’s nice to get at least a grant because they didn’t give me any merit money! (3.9 UW, 32 ACT, Super strong ECs)</p>

<p>hahaha i got a coral grant too but it wasnt much. I dont even know what it is?</p>

<p>Does everyone have their full FA package by now?</p>

<p>FA is online on Cane Link. DS got Coral Grant for $6600 which is a nice addition to the Pres Scholarship of $15,000. Everything helps!</p>

<p>He has me holding the sticker till he decides :)</p>

<p>Yikes they make the music majors wait forever!!! They told me last week to wait for a big package in the mail. I’ve become a mailbox stalker!!!</p>

<p>I also got in!!
I’ve got tonnes of ECs, Leadership stuff, etc. Is it too late to get a scholarship now?</p>

<p>I got the sticker also lol. I’m heading up there today, then I’ll see if it go on my car.</p>

<p>@natalie what did u think if u of Miami when u visited? :)</p>

<p>Selecting an undergrad business school. Down to:

1. Villanova, Bloomberg rank 15, ave salary $55,000, 94% job placement, $57,000 cost
  2. Penn State, rank 26, ave salary $56,000, 100% placement, $32,000 cost
  3. Georgia, rank 44, ave salary $46,000, 80% placement, $39,000 cost
  4. Miami, rank 70, ave salary $47,000, 67% placement, $50,000 cost</p>

<p>Like a lot about U of Miami. Struggling with cost / value. Any helpful comments in comparing these four?</p>

<p>I will be suspicious of the 100% job placement anywhere, that said, debt is something to be considered. My son is going to UM because he lives in Miami. My niece got into NYU and is at UM business school because she could live at home. The only benefit to UMiami are the South American contacts if you are fluent in Spanish or Portuguese ( and yes, we are a Cuban/Brazilian household).</p>

<p>Yes, 100% from Penn State is impressive. This is the placement “within 3 mos of graduation” stat. The same stat for all 4 schools mentioned. Penn State as a whole has 76% placement, but the B school has 100%: 90% by graduation, and the other 10% within 3 months. The business school is one of their more competitive schools.</p>

<p>Miami has an overall university rank higher than Penn State and Georgia. But the B school is ranked lower, and the job placement numbers for the U of M business school (67%) is lower then the overall numbers for U of M (76%).</p>

<p>that’s interesting that you say that… a brief bit of googling produced some different results
[Best</a> Undergraduate Business Schools 2012 - Businessweek](<a href=“Bloomberg - Are you a robot?”>Bloomberg - Are you a robot?)</p>

<p>Villanova, ranked 13th
Penn State, ranked 22nd (it did get the top ranking in the recruiter survey)
Georgia, ranked 50th
UMiami, ranked 53rd. the one thing that seemed to be keeping back the UM score (the Canes were overperforming to their score in student satisfaction surveys, MBA feeder placement, student-to-faculty ratio, incoming SATs, facilities and resources, and teaching quality) was the poor reputation with recruiters, standing at 120th on the list. This would also help explain the lower job placement numbers. to this I would suggest two points for consideration:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Rankings are a good way to get a generalized look at a program, but not a student. College is largely an experience that is defined by what you make of it, and a hard-working, enterprising student receiving a top-quality education will find success regardless of alma mater, within normal limits. Obviously a dull student at Notre Dame will do better than a great student at FSU. </p></li>
<li><p>Job recruitment is largely based on reputations and relationships between employers and schools. As such, there can be a lag time between the quality of the incoming class, or the university’s current programs, and the experience that employers have with alumni. I have no doubt that by the time 2017 rolls around, we’ll be doing at least reasonably better in employer relations. UM is a well known brand in Miami, and as such, Latin America and to a lesser extent Europe, but getting our name out across the United States is an ongoing process for a young, rising school like ours.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Skooled: Those placement stats seem to be a little unrealistic. I have known many recent Penn State Business School graduates who either not found jobs or have taken jobs outside their major. If you take the latter into account, there is no way they have 100% job placement. The same may be true for Villanova as well. </p>

<p>Miami is at 67%. This does not include the students that either go to Law or Graduate School. If you factor in these students, I believe the percentage is in the high 80’s to low 90’s.</p>

<p>Villanova offers 6 majors and Penn State offers 7. Miami offers 13 majors. </p>

<p>I met with one of the business school’s top academic advisors and was quite impressed with the program. The only advantage to Penn State is their Alumni network. It is strong and they hire their own.</p>

<p>Kid and rightofway: Yes, those results kid notes are the results from 2012. I was quoting the more recent 2013 results.</p>

<p>UofM dropped from 53 to 70, Nova dropped from 13 to 15, Georgia improved from 50 to 44, and PSU dropped from 22 to 26. All pretty consistent, UofM having the most change.</p>

<p>Although there probably are differences in counting and I’m sure stats aren’t completely accurate, I’m more interested in the value consideration. There appears to be a valid comparison to consider taking into account all three: ranking, placement, and salary.</p>

<p>There is certainly more to consider. There are advantages and disadvantages in public vs. private. There are learning and development considerations other than future job placement and earnings. And the future job and earnings are also an important consideration.</p>

<p>UofM is not ruled out at this point and I’m not trying to paint a negative picture. I’m very impressed with UofM. Just struggling with the value as we consider the options. In a sense at UofM we would pay the Villanova cost and get the UGA job placement and salary results. At PSU, pay the UGA cost and get Villanova job placement and salary results.</p>

<p>I know it is not that simple. And “fit” and class size and diversity (of ethnicity, wealth, culture, ideas) and practical application are all considerations. I’m interested in additional opinions on the value consideration. Anyone else making a similar consideration?</p>

<p>[Top</a> Business School Rankings: MBA, Undergrad, Executive & Online MBA - Businessweek](<a href=“Bloomberg - Are you a robot?”>Bloomberg - Are you a robot?)</p>

<p>2013 business school rankings link</p>

<p>Skooled: You are placing too much emphasis on the Businessweek rankings. 30 percent is based on student surveys. Another factor in the ranking is accreditation. Accreditation is tied to the number of tenured professors and professors with PHD’s. As their focus is on academia, schools in the Midwest tend to have more PHD’s. Whereas schools in major cities tend to have more professors that are actually working in their area of expertise and experience real life in what they are teaching. There is a lot to be learned from these professors. </p>

<p>Also, there is no guarantee that graduating college will get you a job. What is your major?</p>

<p>Interest is School of Business Administration. Management.</p>

<p>Likely no scholarship $ at UofM (average test scores), so really considering full cost.</p>