Miscellaneous Life Ramblings

<p>Creedence Clearwater Revival at the Philly Spectrum sometime in the mid 70’s.</p>

<p>This has been such a great thread! I don’t remember downloading more music in one day! I see a Prep School Parent Playlist forming…</p>

<p>Three favorite songs of all time ( with SevenDad’s permission, of course). If you put down more, you’ll get a cyber- cabbage thrown at you. I’m going to put another log on the fire and think about this one…</p>

<p>@PhotographerMom: The thread has taken on a wonderful life of its own…and I’ve loved all the different directions/uses it’s had so far.</p>

<p>Three Favorite Songs?

• “My One and Only Love”, John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman
  • “Prelude: Cello Suite No. 1”, Bach (pick your performer, but I’m most familiar with Yo-Yo Ma)
  • “Protection”, Massive Attack</p>

<p>If we were going for just pop/made in my lifetime music, I’d probably say:

• “Protection”, Massive Attack
  • “Isn’t She Lovely”, Stevie Wonder
  • “Night Swimming”, Ingrid Michaelson cover of REM</p>

<p>These are all songs I could (and have) played over and over and over and never tire of/take comfort in or inspiration from.</p>

<p>Okay, everyone who graduated college in the mid 80s to mid 90s and liked British music of that era, watch this:
<a href=“Massive Attack - Protection - YouTube”>Massive Attack - Protection - YouTube;

<p>Tracey Thorn (from Everything But The Girl) is so amazing…and the video is great, too.</p>

<p>7dad, Yo-Yo Ma’s Bach suites are very different from others in many ways. Just for fun, listen to Rostropovich. Also, look into Ma’s soul of the tango disc. You might like it. I’m partial to his Bach suites as well, mainly because I think more performances of Bach lack the improvisational nature of baroque music. I’ve had the good fortune to hear him perform almost every summer.</p>

<p>I couldn’t begin to list three songs. I listen to just about every genre from Palestrina onward. Utterly impossible. I’ve been known to go from the Sex Pistols to Beethoven in ten minutes so yeah…</p>

<p>I have three very simple requirements for everything I choose to put into my life. It has to be either beautiful, interesting or fun. I’m listening to the Ramones as I type but I’m gonna lock myself in the music room after dinner to play Chopin for a few hours.</p>

<p>I love this thread! For the record, I was probably at the same concert with MA2012 in Worcester. My friend who worked in the biz took me for my 19th birthday, and we had backstage passes. John Taylor wished me a happy birthday. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>I have also seen such 80’s greats as J. Geils Band, The Police (twice), Flock of Seagulls, Bruce Cockburn and Michelle Shocked, REM, Wang Chung, 10,000 Maniacs, and INXS. Music used to be such a huge part of my life- I wonder what happened to me!</p>

<p>Neato: at Tanglewood? We should have a CC meet up this summer (we have friends who live in Lenox)!</p>

<p>Note that Yo-Yo was my “gateway drug” for the Bach Cello…so I have Dupre, Rostropovich, Casals (on vinyl), and both Ma recordings…I prefer his earlier “Red” recording with Sony, btw. I actually love them all, but always come back to the Ma “Red”.</p>

<p>Rellielou:
Music was huge for me, too. Not so much live music but one of my first (and only) extravagances was buying a nice “hi-fi” with a bonus I got many years ago. Wife and I used to spend hours just listening to music.</p>

<hr>

<p>Since this is the misc. thread, can I ask if there is any merit to starting or reviving (if one exists) “College Search for BS students” thread? Now that BS apps are done for 7D2, we will be getting started with college for 7D1 and while I’ve lurked the main threads, I consider the BS sub-forum home. I know there are a bunch of parents of the class of 2015 here…</p>

<p>Nobody else was at the Merriweather Post Pavilion for James Taylor? Seems you’re all north of the Mason-Dixon, though NE was indeed the home habitat of Sweet Baby James.</p>

<p>A look straight into the camera from 7D1, who said, “Hi, Family!”, at the show tonight. Have you already seen that on the livestream, 7Dad?</p>

<p>I think I saw James’ brother Livingston once, at a free outdoor concert in Cambridge. There used to be a lot of those.</p>

<p>@Charger78: Haven’t tuned in yet…will probably watch later with wife.</p>

<ol>
<li>SevenDad: LOVE Everything But the Girl</li>
<li>PhotographerMom: totally working on my 3 songs. Do you realize how hard that is? I have way too eclectic taste… be back later! :)</li>
</ol>

<p>OK here goes:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Talking Heads “Nothing but Flowers” (how far ahead of his time was David Byrne)</p></li>
<li><p>The Supremes “Love Child” (a tragic tale, a classic “storytelling” song)</p></li>
<li><p>Jimmy Cliff “Wonderful World, Beautiful People” (I grew up with all manner of reggae/soca/calypso etc.)</p></li>
</ol>

<p>Honorable Mention: Dan Fogelberg “Part of the Plan” (1970’s boarding school music at its’ finest).</p>

<p>While these are no means my absolute favorites (since that would be truly impossible), they all qualified based on the fact that I can listen to each of those songs over and over again (and sing along at full volume) and never tire of hearing them.</p>

<p>I’m impressed SevenDad. It is close to impossible to name three songs and you did it effortlessly- and fast!! I thought I could settle on at least one from The Band/ Last Waltz Album… but nope, I couldn’t do it…</p>

<p>Here goes nothing:</p>

<p>Tangerine- Led Zeppelin</p>

<p>Wish you were here- Pink Floyd</p>

<p>Lola (live) The Kinks</p>

<p>That was hard!</p>

<p>London: Dan Fogelberg!!!</p>

<p>If we’re doing Honorable Mentions (cough) I’ll add Tiny Dancer- Elton John!!!</p>

<p>@Charger78: Just watched the intro…too funny.</p>

<p>Okay, just going with my 3 biggest time warp songs: you know, the ones that when you hear them, transport you almost bodily back in time.</p>

<p>1) Vienna, Bill Joel (lying on my bed, playing it in endless repeat, full throttle teenage angst)</p>

<p>2) Red, Red Wine, UB40 (freshman year of college, blasted from some anonymous guy’s stereo speakers facing out from his dorm window into the quad, every Friday afternoon)</p>

<p>and the one that stops time for me right now:</p>

<p>3) Stars, The Weepies</p>

<p>Okay, I get an Honorable Mention if PhotographerMom does:</p>

<p>The Way You Look Tonight, Sinatra</p>

<p>Hey I know this is probably rude, but could someone tell me how to post my own question? (Maybe I shouldn’t even be looking to go I college, can’t even figue this out)</p>

<p>Got to the particular discussion board where you’re interested in posting, rather than clicking on a thread. Just above the posts, you’ll see a button that says New Thread.</p>

<p>I can’t do three all time but I’ll give subgenres a shot.</p>

<ol>
<li> Leader of the Pack 1964 - The Shangri-Las — Best opening line award “I met him at the candy stor-or!”</li>
<li> Johnny Get Angry 1962 - Joanie Sommers — Don’t be a wimp, fellas “I want a brave man, I want a cave man…Let me know that you’re the boss.”</li>
<li> That’s the Way Boys Are 1964 - Lesley Gore — c’mon girls, you can put up with a little philandering and a little verbal abuse </li>
</ol>

<p>And then, just a decade later a major shift has taken place and we get some wonderful stuff from women </p>

<p>1.At Seventeen 1974 - Janis Ian — This deserves a link to the lyrics [“At</a> Seventeen” Lyrics](<a href=“http://www.pbs.org/inthemix/educators/lessons/selfimage2/atseventeen_lyrics.html]"At”>"At Seventeen" Lyrics)</p>

<p>and this absolute jewel of a song
2.The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face — written in 1957 but given life in 1972 by Roberta Flack. This deserves a youtube link.
[Roberta</a> Flack - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face [totp2] - YouTube](<a href=“Roberta Flack - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face [totp2] - YouTube”>Roberta Flack - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face [totp2] - YouTube)</p>

<p>And I can never get enough of this one, especially the strings behind the ukulele.
3.Ode to Billy Joe 1976 - Bobbie Gentry — “Well, Billie Joe never had a lick of sense, pass the biscuits, please”</p>

<p>So sorry, but I really can’t do favorites in general. Utterly impossible. I need parameters :)</p>

<p>Was clearing off the car this AM, and this song popped into my head. A cover, but hey, General Public:</p>

<p>[General</a> Public - I’ll Take You There - YouTube](<a href=“General Public - I'll Take You There (Video) - YouTube”>General Public - I'll Take You There (Video) - YouTube)</p>