Miscellaneous Life Ramblings

@payn4ward “science/engineering where for the girls “the odds are good but the goods are odd.” Having worked in Mechanical Engineering all my career (except when I was in the Army, stationed at a remote post on the Iron Curtain) that’s a good one! We had the highest percentage of female engineers in our industry: 15%.

How can you tell an extroverted engineer from an introverted engineer? The introverted engineer looks at his shoes when he talks to you: the extroverted engineer looks at your shoes.

Why do HS kids who are good at math become Engineers? Because they didn’t have the personality to become Accountants…

I am taking my daughters to the Olin School of Engineering in nearby Needham, MA because they’ve broken the code and half their Engineering students are women.

It’s Sunday, do you know where your decisions are? It was a very tiring week ( wrote a poem @it on the Revisit advice thread). We took the CC advice and interviewed the schools. We were the Admissions officers for our family.
Based on advice and insights from CC parents over the past 18 months, our final decision is very different. If it were not for the honesty of students and wisdom of CC parents we would have chosen a school based on status, matriculation numbers, scores, and the impressive prime rib carving station [-(

Re the movie Chappaquidick, my wife is an extra in the funeral scene (sitting behind Mary Jo’s parents) and a diner scene (which may have been cut out). She and our dog will probably be in a jogging scene in the upcoming Equalizer II movie, so he A. Has been petted by Denzel Washington, and 2. made $42.

Re relationships, if you are a fan of the movie Clueless, among many hilarious quotes, at one point Cher’s father Mel interrogates her date about their plans. He gives a flippant response, to which Cher’s dad responds,

“Anything happens to my daughter, I got a .45 and a shovel, I doubt anybody would miss you.”

Along with being the source of many a meme, in a HS culture antithetical to New England Boarding schools, there’s many more: school, relationships, HS Gym, teen boys, driving, fitting in, and of course, fashion. [Proposing a makeover to a “fashion challenged” classmate]

“C’mon, let us! Cher’s main thrill in life is a makeover. It gives her a sense of control in a world full of chaos.” – Dionne

Remember this thread that brought out our inner bards a few years ago?

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-cafe/1448644-playful-prep-school-poetry-p1.html

I miss GMT.

OMG @ChoatieMom — that was a great thread and needs to be revived, although @Golfgr8 would likely put us all to shame!

@ChoatieMom THANK YOU! Never saw that thread and it is fabulous.
My favorite from that thread right now is:
There once was a grade known as “B”
That meant “Good, you have learned favorably!”
But now it’s assumed
That a B means you’re doomed
So you need to seek help on CC

Yeah, I thought that one was spot on, too.

Some unsolicited musings from this parent. Prestige would be the wrong reason to choose a school. It would also be wrong to assume that prestige is the reason someone has chosen a “prestigious” school. Which leads me to some thoughts to share: With all the talk about gut feelings, culture, and even channeled universal energy, let’s keep in mind how subjective experiences can be. For every kid that didn’t shake hands or talk with a headmaster, etc, five others did. Where one family experienced coldness, another one experienced one-of-a-kind warmth even in the absence of legacy or financial status. A school deemed healthy and wholesome by one family has changed their tone with another family when asked for more aid or accommodations. So where does that leave us? For sure we can’t generalize our perceptions. But aside from that, I want to bring up a few points. First, the true barometer of a school may be the student body; engaged, enthusiastic, happy students just don’t grow out of thin air. Second, as important as our parental preferences are, it’s our children who will be living there, so it’s best to let them not only make the decision but also let them decide based on what’s important to them (in all likelihood, it’s not what’s important to us). Third, form now on, AOs will play zero role in your or your child life. It will be teachers and fellow students who will shape your child’s experience. Fourth, no matter which BS you choose, expect much less parental involvement than you may be used to, especially if you live across the country. By extension, how nice or obnoxious other parents are becomes irrelevant as you won’t even see them more than once a year. I hope these thoughts are helpful to someone, somewhere. Congrats to all who have made their decisions! May you never experience buyer’s remorse! :)>-

Hear, hear @GoatMama

This time of year has also made me reflective about BS, especially having just completed our own re-enrollment contract and sharing in the journeys of the CC families applying this cycle. Below is from a draft post I had written for another thread which seems more suitable here today. (I’ve got 34 unposted drafts! Had I posted them I would already be a senior member. What I really need is a “biting my tongue” button.)

For those making decisions this cycle, this can be an exciting and scary time. As parents we worry about making sure our kids achieve the best outcome they can achieve. We all bring different expectations to this process and what I hope for the most is that folks get as clear an understanding as possible about how reality will or won’t match their expectations. All that you can do is to gather as much information as you can about what matters to you and your family, try to be clear-headed in assessing your child’s aptitudes and personality and encourage them to do the same.

Many here really have no bad choices. Chances are that the right decision will be made; and I strongly feel that the best choice is the school which you believe is the best choice. And yes, despite the favorable odds, hindsight will show that some will need to change their chosen path. It’s terrifying to think about that happening to our kid, and its agonizing to those for whom this happens. Wins don’t come with every move we make. It’s part of life. But second, third and fourth chances exist. And the opportunity to grow in resilience and determination, and to know oneself better, is invaluable. And inspiring. In making our leap of faith, I have especially appreciated the stories shared here about the students and families who have confronted disappointments and challenges and found ways to move beyond them. They remind me to have hope and confidence when we come across our own bumps in the road.

Love it @AppleNotFar ! Why would this be a draft?? It’s brilliant!

Chin up, @AppleNotFar! It’s not the quantity but the quality that counts… :wink:

Since I feel particularly introspective today, let me add that the big-fish-in-a-small-pond to small-fish-in-a-big-pond adjustment will apply equally to kids ** and ** parents. May everyone transition gracefully into their respective size of reservoir!

I feel so preachy this Sunday… but here is one more L-)

No matter which BS your kid attends, they will have to learn to speak for themselves and self-advocate. Your involvement will be kept to a bare minimum by design, because being proficient in managing one’s own affairs - academic, administrative, emotional, health, and hygiene - is a prerequisite for college success, and college success is a main goal of a college prep school. If the thought of not jumping in every time your kid has an issue makes you antsy, maybe you’re not as ready for this experience as you thought you were.

To second @AppleNotFar, over his or her BS tenure, your child WILL make mistakes, some inconsequential or easy to learn from, others not at all. If and when the latter happens, what you choose to do with that experience will not only speak volumes about who you really are, but will also shape your kid’s response to challenge, conflict, and failure in the future. So beware of that parental instinct that always makes us try to shift blame away from our own child.

And this concludes our daily sermon. Mama is moving on to tending to GoatKid2’s 13th birthday party! <:-P <:-P

Happy birthday GoatKid2!!!

^:)^ Amen, @GoatMama.

Happy birthday Goatkid! 13 is a banner year!!

Happy Happy official teen birthday!! Hey @GoatMama! Is BS on the horizon for GoatKid2? :wink:

@cameo43 I was wondering the same thing…glad you asked the question! And does anyone else notice that @cameo43 has a goat, yet @GoatMama seems to sport a cameo??? Of course, I think @PhotographerMom has a turtle so what do I know…

Hahahahhahhaha “@PhotographerMom has a turtle”. This makes me happy to read. I always thought @goatmama had a Blue Dog painting…

@london203 I think you’re right! Lol. I had always only seen the black parts of it and it reminded me of those cameo pictures from the 70s. :))

Happy Bday. Enjoy… !