Miscellaneous Life Ramblings

It will be interesting to see if schools adapt to the new CDC isolation / quarantine guidelines: CDC shortens recommended Covid-19 isolation and quarantine time - CNN

3 Likes

I saw that today and was wondering the same thing. Especially for the asymptomatic positive cases.

3 Likes

I hope they adopt these new guidelines. I think that many schools are going to be dealing with high positive case counts in January. Would be really nice if they would recognize and follow the new guidance.

3 Likes

Would also be nice if they would allow OOS boarding students who test positive to quarantine at school for the 5 days.

4 Likes

Is OOS out of state? Do you mean some boarding schools make sick kids travel potentially infecting others along the way? I thought most DO quarantine at school.

Our school requires an emergency plan with a local person/address. That is where your child is supposed to go if they are COVID+. That sounds nice on the surface, but is completely impractical for OOS boarders who do not have family or close friends who live within a reasonable drive of the school (i.e. nearly all OOS boarders). And even among those who are fortunate enough to have resources near the school…how many extended family or friends are excited about taking in your COVID+ child for up to 10 days?

3 Likes

Oh wow, that’s awful. My daughter’s school has dorm rooms allocated for kids who need to quarantine.

Yikes- that sounds terrible.

That stinks.

Glad that isn’t everywhere. Fwiw, Cate brought in temporary buildings for isolation for positives. They are pretty plush compared to some of the dorms rooms. They have a whole quarantine and testing system that I don’t completely understand. So far the system has been holding.

Have any schools announced that they will be going remote when we return from the holidays?

1 Like

Good to see you! How has Westover been treating you?

1 Like

Deerfield had some kids staying in quarantine at the Deerfield Inn - nice digs!

1 Like

@Altras - I have an idea for you. The next time a development or annual fund person calls you from the school asking for a donation (including class parents wanting a senior “gift”), tell them you will make the donation if your kid can stay at their house if quarantined for COVID.

See what they say!

4 Likes

Ugh. Too late. Gift has been made. Guess we’ll be staying at the Fairmont Inn like fugitives.

1 Like

Kiddo was boosted today!

1 Like

What is the story with Andover being remote the first week? We just had our game canceled and this was given as a reason. Anyone knows?

Email has other details, but specifically regarding athletics:

"All winter athletic programming will resume on January 10. Our first winter 2022 interscholastic competitions will be January 12. Consistent with Massachusetts and Connecticut high school interscholastic policies, we will require masking for athletes (competing and practicing), as well as game officials. This policy does not apply to wrestlers and swimmers when they are actively competing, but all other athletes, coaches and officials in those venues must wear a mask at all times.

Until further notice, there will be no spectators/fans at home athletic contests, and only personnel approved by the athletic department will be allowed in venues during competition."

1 Like

Not sure if we should have a separate thread for all of this covid talk, but here is the newest info from Lville:

Online start with those flying in arriving on time, and day students and those within driving distance staying at home for the week. (We received this news last week)

Mandatory boosters for those eligible.

Mandatory masks, including during athletics, must be N95, KN95 etc or double surgery or double surgery and cloth.

Isolation and quarantine time dropped to 5 days given no symptoms on day 5.

1 Like

Update from the bubble. DA is starting on-time. Kids return Monday with pre-arrival and arrival testing protocols. Wednesday athletic events are cancelled. Masking inside for a week or until what the testing finds.

3 Likes

Choate doing pretty much the same.

1 Like