Miscellaneous Life Ramblings

<p>I thought that was a girl scout cookie. Just goes to show it’s been a very long time since I bought them.</p>

<p>@neatoburrito: I fear they are no more… <a href=“in the 70s, Food of the Seventies, Nabisco Butter Cookies”>http://www.inthe70s.com/food/nabiscobuttercookies0.shtml&lt;/a&gt;
Apparently someone tried to make them agsin but the concensus seems to be they were not as good…,</p>

<p>Yep, my kindergarten teacher used to give them out at snack time. What a wonderful memory. And I too, used to eat them “petal by petal”.</p>

<p>Last night after dinner, K2 asked the age old question: What’s for dessert? I said, Tonight we have a Build Your Own Sundae Bar featuring three types of frozen yogurt, ten gourmet toppings and freshly whipped cream. </p>

<p>He said, Really?</p>

<p>I said, No. What do you think this is- Boarding School?</p>

<p>I love how they have “Build Your Own” everything now. I’m told the nights they have the Sundae Bar are the best. Borderline frenzy. </p>

<p>( And just so you know I’m not a complete monster, I did share my GS Cookie stash. I couldn’t bear the disappointment :slight_smile: )</p>

<p>@london203- Remember the BS food we had? Elephant Scabs and Pound Cake that could break a window. Just so new parents know- While the food has improved over the years and sounds delicious ( in theory or on paper ), you will be having a different “Dining Experience” than your child when you visit campus. The delicious fried chicken and gourmet cupcake trolley is reserved for special occasions and is probably the only reason kids are excited to see their parents on Parents Weekends. Real food! Woot!</p>

<p>What on god’s earth is an “elephant scab”? Sounds dreadful!</p>

<p>Pounded breaded veal. That’s what they told us. Jury is still out on that one… :)</p>

<p>@PhotoMom: oddly enough, mixed in were some really good meals. Random stuff that should have been terrible but wasn’t (like Chicken Divan and Cheese Omelets). We had these bars called Hermits (molasses-y, raisin things) that we all hated, until Senior year when all of a sudden we loved them. LOL We had no such thing as ANY “bar”. Even salad bar came after we left. Oh wait, we DID have make-your-own something – peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Ah, good times.</p>

<p>And, as my kid doesn’t hesitate to remind anyone who will listen: her school catering company is known for being a big provider of prison meals. LOL</p>

<p>My kid says everyone raves about the order-you-own-omelet dinners, but he’s never gotten to try one-- if you’re not in line BEFORE dinner time even starts, the process is so slow that dinner is over before you get up to the omelet station. The choice on those nights is always the pasta bar. He hates pasta. Then there are the nights when he says, “So they tried to make steak for 650 people. Do you KNOW what happens to steak when you try to make it for 650 people?” The food at BS today does sound way better – and it probably is-- but it’s clearly not quite as great as it sounds. </p>

<p>^^ NOT that they should be complaining…but I guess they’ll all have their own bad-food-stories to tell when THEIR kids are in school.</p>

<p>Hands down Breakfast for Dinner is my kid’s favorite BS meal. It would have been mine, too had they offered it. I still have Turkey Tetrazzini nightmares…half frozen chunks of turkey mixed with over-cooked spaghetti topped off with a delightful brown (and somewhat crunchy) film from being in the chafing dish too long. Yummy. I remember my dad (who traveled a lot) stopping in (surprise!) and joining us (first and last time) for dinner. He was seated next to the headmaster and it took him about thirty minutes to swallow his first bite. I enjoyed every minute… (He never “dropped in” again). </p>

<p>@london203- PB&J sandwiches and orange quarters (after sports) prevented me from starving to death. I remember Hermits, too! </p>

<p>I’ll never forget my husband’s face when they rolled out the cupcake trolley at K2’s school. He looked at me like Aragorn (Lord of the Rings) but instead of saying “They have a Cave ■■■■■”, he just sat there (totally stunned) and whispered: “They have a Cupcake Trolley”… </p>

<p>I had to bring snacks for the hockey game I attended. I was excited about cutting up oranges - only to find out “no one wants orange quarters, Mom. We want clementines”. I was strangely bummed out. HAHA. Must have been more important to my BS experience than I thought!</p>

<p>At my kid’s school, which is quite small, the line for the fabulous Sunday brunch is so long and slow-moving that she has to choose whether to sleep in, or eat before dinner… </p>

<p>@london203- I totally miss powdered eggs- don’t you? </p>

<p>Last year, CK sent me a picture of his plate on “special dinner” night – steak and lobster. Seems many kids don’t like lobster, so he had extra. All I could think was, “so, THAT’S where my money is going.”</p>

<p>And little pats of butter with wax paper on top. And those strange milk dispensers with the bulbulous handles. And Hoodsies.</p>

<p>I had graduated from college before many of you were entering high school, but I’m sure the food there could compete with any of your BS. We had a strange vegetarian dish called Far East Celery that no one would touch, but I loved as it wasn’t like anything I had had at home, and it was very tasty. What I found disgusting was the cream pies that only changed color, not flavor.</p>

<p>Kinda reminds me of the chocolate pudding (or butterscotch or vanilla – all the same really). They were of the “instant” variety. By junior year (we weren’t that smart), we learned that if you mixed the “almost” whipped cream into that pudding, it made it a lot better. We did have chocolate cream pie, but it was just the instant pudding and almost whipped cream in a pie shape.</p>

<p>K2 was standing in line for dinner on the first night and a new kid turns to him and says: I hear the cooks here trained at the Culinary Institute. K2 put his hand on his shoulder and said, Yes… but did they graduate? </p>