Miscellaneous Life Ramblings

<p>I’m attempting to combine the single line entries into the master list. I’ll post it when it’s done</p>

<p>Done. There wasn’t much as it was already done for earlier posts. </p>

<p>A very miscellaneous ramble: my 4000th post</p>

<p>@GMTplus7 There should be something above Senior Member!</p>

<p>Interesting article here: </p>

<p><a href=“For Boarding Schools, an Evolving Financial Aid Philosophy - The New York Times”>For Boarding Schools, an Evolving Financial Aid Philosophy - The New York Times;

<p>Today is school notification day where I live. I have a 7th grader so one year from now this will be a very big day for us. It’s on my mind more than M10 was because I don’t think we’ll be doing the boarding school thing with him. Our k-8 school tries hard to keep school results under wraps until everyone is “settled” - there is only one week between the notifications and the contract date here. Things get very squirrely in a city like ours where everyone is trying to get into high school, public or private.</p>

<p>Where I live, M10 is like an arms race. My biggest takeaway so far : Taft is fast becoming the new Groton. It really seemed to be everyone’s “Dream” school this year. If you were accepted to Taft or know someone who was this year- Wow! Congratulations!! Also- All-boy and all-girl schools seem to be becoming a trend now and I thought that was cool development . What was old is new again :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Great article in NYT on FA; thanks. Why does the consultant say that private school FA is “totally different” from college FA?</p>

<p>@charger78: not too sure. It was interesting how they apply different rules and dig a bit deeper than a form…</p>

<p>Perhaps they meant that bs money is all private money, whereas colleges have things like Pell grants and work study??</p>

<p>I think it could mean that college FA is more about affordability to all admitted students while PS FA is about using the school’s limited resource to make it accessible to the students they want most.</p>

<p>I can start a thread devoted to wet towels left on the floor… but I won’t. </p>

<p>At least your towels are on the floor. Mine get put on the bed, in the hamper (to mix with clean clothes put there to pretend they were put away combined with actual dirty clothes), or stuffed in the bottom of the closet. I’m pretty sure you can guess how room inspections go at school…</p>

<p>New ramble: I can’t believe it’s been almost a week since March 10, but at the same time it feels like years have gone by… I’m graduating from college this spring!</p>

<p>@london203- I don’t want to look under their beds. Deep down, I know what’s there. It takes forever to get the dorm smell out of their clothing… and then you realize they’re the dorm smell. Seriously, I opened K2’s sports bag the other day and I thought I was going to need someone to hold my hair. It was that gross. Half the stuff in there was beyond hope… especially his socks. No amount of bleach and hot water would have saved those… it was either throw them away or burn them. </p>

<p>@PhotographerMom Don’t you hate it when socks get crusty?</p>

<p>@stargirl- You can break a window with K2’s socks! For crew he walks around in socks all day (no matter the weather) so that’s part of the problem. I have to buy them in bulk! :slight_smile: </p>

<p>@PhotographerMom My mom does the best impression of my brother kind of flinging his socks into no-man’s-land as he sits on the stairs and peels them off his feet… he doesn’t do it quite as much as he used to. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>@stargirl3 it really does feel like its been forever.</p>

<p>@PhotographerMom: be glad they aren’t hockey players. As much as you enjoy watching hockey, there is nothing that compares to hockey bag smell. Oddly, I kinda miss it. :)</p>