Miscellaneous Life Ramblings

I got to play security for a John Michael Montgomery concert recently. Not a fan of the music, but I did get to search bags, confiscate beer people were trying to bring in, and “dispose” of it. The job got more fun as the night went on…

@carpoolingma: How was Axle? In good voice?

Going to Bruce Springsteen Thursday and plan to sing my heart out after all the pre drop off tears (first 9th grader…). I had cried so much before that the actual drop off today did not seem so bad…

@SevenDad Yep. It was a great concert (and I am not the biggest fan!)

I need a 12 step program to stop refreshing facebook, instagram, Flickr and the school website.

Who uses bribery for grades? I am being relentlessly bugged for the most current video game console. (when he’s only home like 3 months a year? Why?) We made a deal. 4.0, and Santa will bring one. I want to see how bad he wants it…last year he had like a 3.88 or something, so I wouldn’t think it would be that hard…

Mine is asking to take his PS4 to school with him. I think I’ll try your trick and tell him if he bring home a 4.0 then we can discuss it.

I told mine that if his grades slip, the gaming desktop PC which he built and took to school is coming home mid year.

We are into bribery & blackmail =))

Bribery & blackmail works. It’s called encouraging.
But how much video game do kids play at boarding schools? I have been hoping that dd would stop playing FTL when the school starts because she would be too busy.

@SculptorDad First few months at boarding school as a freshman, DS did not play games at all. He was busy with activities, homework and mandatory study hall without electronics. He also had a Macbook Air that was not useful for games. He binge played during breaks at home. At some point, he installed Windows on the Mac Air and tried some games in a painfully slow mode.

Really addictive ones are browser based MMO games that can run anywhere. I wouldn’t mind occasional playing of shooting games. DD’s schedule seems tight. I will hope for the best. :slight_smile:
DD uses Microsoft Surface Pro as she believes that it is the only affordable platform with decent enough touch screen for her digital art. Fortunately it can never be a good gaming machine either.

NOW I can say I have found my people! Bribery, blackmail and threats in general have always worked for AppleKid. I have said that if Netflicks, YouTube, gaming get crazy, I am jumping on a plane to switch out the new computer with the 3-line screen radio shack word processor I used in grad school!

“I have said that if Netflicks, YouTube, gaming get crazy” But how will you know? :wink: Or is it all good if the grades are good?

Good point @doschicos --we really don’t care as long as grades are good and no disciplinary action is taken :smiley:

“I have said that if Netflicks, YouTube, gaming get crazy” But how will you know?
-> Netflicks family account lets me monitor what she watches. Although, she will make it impossible once I used the knowledge against her.

Not to be pedantic, but once is a typo, 3 times calls for a correction. It’s Netflix. :slight_smile:

Speaking of Netflix…I generally don’t “binge-watch” anything, but I cranked through Stranger Things over the holiday weekend, finishing with the finale last night. Great show…though I’d argue that Winona Ryder may be weakest link. I do love her (once saw her in person loading shopping bags in to a Town Car at Barney’s…I guess pre-shoplifting days) but felt she overplayed many of her scenes in the series…even considering that she played a mom in crisis.

Does anyone else do this, or is it just me (due to too much influence from my son and husband). I’m sitting in a boring seminar, and the speaker just mentioned that he “slammed an extra strength 5 hour energy” and I almost blurted out “invented by however you spell his name, Hill School, Pottstown, Pennsylvania.” I quickly realized that no one here would appreciate that comment so I kept my mouth shut. Do YOU feel the need , even in just your own family, to point out famous/known alums from your school?

@SevenDad We also finished the season 1 finale this week. I agree with your assessment. I also think they did a fabulous job recreating my childhood…I mean the 80s. I’m looking forward to season 2!

@gusmom2000: Since SAS grad Maggie Rogers has a song currently in rotation on Sirius XM “The Spectrum” channel, I have a lot of occasion to do this lately…which often takes the form of me taking a phone-cam shot of the screen and sending to my family.

@carpoolingma: One glitch I caught was that they had the wrong size front chainrings on the “vintage” BMX bikes the kids rode. Back in the day, the convention was a 44T front chainring…not the “micro drive” they use these days (which at least one of the bikes had). I was surprised…since so much of the show is pitch perfect when it comes to period details.