MIT Early Action for Fall 2022 Admission

Help please

How is the MIT interview like? What do they discuss?
My child got a interview scheduling request yesterday and we are totally clueless.

1 Like

My daughter had hers last week. Based on her experience and that of her friends:

• The interview usually goes pretty smoothly. The ECs are trained to put the interviewee at ease and make it feel like a conversation rather than an interview. So no “gotchas” or trick questions.
  • Be prepared to talk at length about activities and extra-curriculars. They tend to spend a lot of time exploring these.
  • Read up on MIT so you can talk about MIT specific stuff.
  • Finally, just be your authentic self and relax :). The interviewer can cover a broad range of topics and you can’t be a 100% prepared. They just want to understand who you are as a person.

Best wishes to your daughter/son.

5 Likes

Thank you very much.
This is helpful.

1 Like

FAFSA and CSS Profile have been submitted. Financial Aid status now shows tax return and forms are pending and required to be uploaded through IDOC. Do we upload those now, or wait until any admission decision later? Will delay in sending those tax documents impact your chance of admission, although school says they are need blind. Any experience? Thank you.

Just to add to DadOfJerseyGirl, my daughter had a chance to present her learning in graph theory that she made for her math club and talk about it at length, her interest is to do a graph theoritical research for neuro disorders. The interviewer happened to be a math major coincidentally. If your kid has any specific interest, it doesn’t hurt to be prepared to talk about it.

3 Likes

Any recruited athletes here? Do they pair with former athletes or is it more random?

My daughter was a recruited athlete and they didn’t pair with a former one. I don’t think it’s random. I believe it’s more by region.

Is there a last date for interview for EA cycle? My son hasn’t been contacted yet for the interview.

The interview requests should wrap up this week I believe.
If they don’t have an EC that covers your region + has availability then they will not be able to offer your son an interview. In this case it will not affect his admission chances, so don’t worry.

My daughter’s forms say “Packaging” under the “Required for” column for all of her IDOC forms. The intro paragraph says “”Packaging" means we will not review your application until it has been received,”

1 Like

Upload those in the CSS IDOC system now. They need all of the items submitted to move forward.

When MIT makes their admissions offers their financial aid packages are included.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. My student’s Aid Status says that as well. However, I think “we will not review your application” should mean aid application, not admission application? Has any student been admitted, but did not upload any of aid paperwork prior to the decision - any prior year experience?

1 Like

Quick question: the FAFSA/CSS are not mandatory for MIT admissions, correct?

I am not planning to submit these as we won’t qualify for aid, but want to be sure it won’t hold up the admission decision if these haven’t been filed.

1 Like

I don’t think it mandatory. I believe application portal should show something about checklist.

1 Like

Thank you very much.

Thank you so much.

1 Like

Thanks a lot. The checklist doesn’t show anything missing. So I guess we’re good then.

1 Like

Actually, when my daughter got her admissions offer last year for EA, the financial aid packages were not included. I believe that came out around the 3rd week in Jan.

2 Likes

Early Action applicants must submit their required documents by November 30 in order to receive a financial aid award by mid-January. Regular Action applicants must submit their required documents by February 15 in order to receive a financial aid award by mid-March.

1 Like

Congrats and thank you for sharing. Did her admissions offer came in mid or late Dec? I assume all aid documents had been submitted before the offer came.

1 Like