Mixed and Confused...

<p>I am a mixed student, Black and White. I was wondering if any of the AA applicants think that my status should allow me to consider myself an African-American not only in the college application process but in life as a whole.</p>

<p>I’d choose to be called “multi-racial” or “black and white” if possible. But, seeing as everyone is calling Obama the first black president, I guess you can just go with AA.</p>

<p>I get that. It’s just I am tired of having to deal with people asking “What are you?”. I am too light to be AA, but too dark to be white. Just a difficult question with no cemented answer that I am trying to take the easy way out.</p>

<p>What’s wrong with saying both? I know it may sound weird, but sometimes I wish I could be both white and black.</p>

<p>There is nothing wrong with saying both but out here in the Midwest it isn’t really common, and not many people understand why it would happen. I guess if I got to a region where it was more common then they question would be much easier to answer.</p>

<p>I guess I would go with both, but in a similar sense(since i’m not black or white). But I know how you feel.</p>

<p>By the way, can anybody tell my how to post/start a new thread?</p>

<p>

I’ve gotten the same question many times … at school, work, getting off the streetcar (seriously), etc. Honestly, some days I just feel like being more specific than others.</p>

<p>What’s even stranger is when your entire, extended family, for the most part, has that ambiguous look, and you unequivocally identify with being black, but it’s just too confusing for some people. Never mind about me, but yes, I’d say that you can identify as being black if you feel black (I know that sounds kind of strange).</p>

<p>Here’s my sort-of-cynical answer: white people won’t ever consider you white unless they’re somehow [fooled</a> into thinking you don’t have black ancestry](<a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_(racial_identity)]fooled”>Passing (racial identity) - Wikipedia). I don’t think [url=<a href=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_drop_rule]one-dropping[/url”>One-drop rule - Wikipedia]one-dropping[/url</a>] is right, but it already influences how a lot of people interact with each other, so if you had to choose one racial description, you could only really “get away” with putting black.</p>

<p>I know that I certainly can’t say that I’m white. But that’s probably because if I went to where my family has come from historically (Louisiana), I’d be called on that pretty quickly. That being said, the whole culture within my family is more black than anything, so how I choose to identify isn’t really up for much debate in my mind (though, hypocritically, it has been). If I had one black parent and one white parent, it’d certainly be different, as I wouldn’t want to - in my opinion - effectively disown either.</p>

<p>Man, I could probably write a really long essay on this kind of stuff if I had to.</p>

<p>

The “new thread” button is right above all the threads in a given forum, on the left side. If you’re signed in, it’s below the “My Control Panel” and “FAQ” links.</p>

<p>I have one black and parent and one white parent and the truth is I integrate with both families quite easily. I am a hybrid. Both sides of my family are in a much lower socioeconomic group than my direct family is. This caused the major disconnect from the race mainly from the African-American side. They believe that the societal standing leans much more towards the Caucasian. </p>

<p>The one-drop rule doesn’t fulfill my soul’d desire to know what I truly am, but that answer may have nothing to do with race. I know people say that we shouldn’t see color, but that is the first thing we see about a person. The rule is a simple way to classify people. I don’t believe it is “politically correct”, but it does the job (only if both parties accept it though). </p>

<p>I guess this could be a wonderful college essay. It could reach much deeper than any box I check on an application.</p>