National Hispanic Scholar NHRP Class of 2019

Do any of you know if these cut off are higher or lower than last year?

@exhausted123 Some students may not be included in the list if they do not mark they would like to join the Student Search Service when they take the PSAT.

I’m new here, but curious to join this thread. My daughter did receive a letter inviting to apply for the NHRP. I don’t know what the cut-off is in NY. She scored 1450 on PSAT, and marked she was hispanic. She plans to apply by June 30th to be a NHRP Scholar, if she still qualifies by GPA. We’ll have to wait and see.

Thanks so much for the info BriTexan! Since we are new to this I’m wondering if you could tell us more about the process of hearing from schools about what they offer. I believe I read somewhere that colleges are provided with a list of all those students who qualify for NHRP in September and that students will start receiving letters from schools about that time with more info about what they offer to NHRP recipients. Is this how the process worked for you? Any info you can give will be greatly appreciated!

Also I believe I read somewhere that either University of Arizona, or ASU sent someone a special invited to come visit along with hotel covered or something like that. Was that offered to you? Trying to gage when to visit those 2 specifically.

Thanks in advance!

Aside from the scholarship opportunities, does selection into the NHRP affect college admissions decisions at all? If a Hispanic student with identical grades, scores, letters, et c. at the time of application but with a low PSAT score or GPA < 3.5 at time of junior year have the same chances for acceptance at a college compared to a NHRP student?

@exhausted123 my daughter got a 1470 in NJ and didn’t get an invite either. Her brother got the same score a year earlier and did, so I am not sure what happened. I am going to do the self-nomination for her.

Made the visit to FSU, this month, and they don’t participate in NHRP recruitment. FYI

Visited UAB, great for any pre-med majors who want a city environment.

The process was similar to that for me, but not every university clearly advertised or sent me information! I had to do quite a bit of digging for certain schools (especially the ones in Florida.) And I know that ASU will reimburse a portion of your plane ticket, and even gas if you choose to drive there, but I am not certain on the full amount. I believe my reimbursement was given by the Barrett Honors College as well, so you might want to check on whether the reimbursement will be given for just an ASU visit, or a Barrett one. My family and I visited in early December, because tickets were very cheap then. I’m unsure of UofA and their process (if any) for reimbursement. I will say I received around $25,000 in scholarships per year from them, along with automatic admission to the honors college (for ASU you have to apply.) From ASU, the scholarship will be around $26,000 yearly for me. Hope this helps :slight_smile:

@Homerdog, in the west region the cutoff for class of 2018 and class of 2019 didn’t change.

I just contacted Florida State University and they no longer offer any scholarships for NHRP

Cut off for Florida for 2019 graduates was 1370

Too sad Florida State doesn’t provide merit aid for NHRP. Does anyone know if U Alabama at Tuscaloosa does? And Huntsville? Just want to make sure there’s a good % OOS student population

Hey, does anyone know if a 203 is a good score? Is it competitive to be qualifying?

@MangoLover11223 The cutoffs are not based on the three-digit Selection Index. They are based on the regular four-digit PSAT score.

@evergreen5 ah i see. Do you happen to know the cut-off for WA and NY? My friend is also applying and we just want to know if we have a decent shot

also-- as a sidenote-- how are they determining whether we are actually hispanic? On the form it asks the counselor if we are hispanic, but how would they know?

I think most counselors base their response on what race you are registered as at your high school. If the counselor looks you up and you are not registered hispanic they may want more information is my guess but I don’t know for sure. Also as I’m sure you know you had to check the hispanic box when you took the PSAT.

@MangoLover11223 It appears that NY (if it is in the Middle State region as I assume) is 1320 and WA (West) would be 1280, according to an incomplete table put together by Compass (googling nhrp and compass should find it). But, if your friend checked the hispanic box on the PSAT, he or she should already know the cutoff as they would have been invited to apply (and the form was due May 1, if I recall). Also, it’s easy to email NHRP and ask what the cutoff is - there’s an address somewhere on the NHRP web pages.

Deadline June 30 Find it on their site: https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/scholarships-and-recognition/national-hispanic-recognition-program