Need Advice/Opinions From My CC Bama Friends

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>My daughter is in 11th grade and has one college on her list- Bama. Her grades are good 3.8 gpa and she is working hard to take the ACT on 12/14/13 to see where she stands. She will improve from there if she does not get the hoped-for result. She is doing very well on her practice tests, however. She is also tutoring for the science section because we have heard that it requires a special approach.</p>

<p>Now- here is my question: For the first time we are facing some teenage drama and she is being bullied. I have missed days from work to attend meetings. Two weeks ago she had a spontaneous illness in my car on the way to school due to stress. Her grades are actually better than ever (straight A’s). However, in order to escape a class where 3 of the 3 bullies are clustered we would have to take honors US history online through Florida Virtual. She cannot have her schedule shuffled around because she has computer art (they have a 3D printer like the one she saw at Bama on her tour), she actually designed the cover to the yearbook and is totally invested with lots of work, and is taking advanced topics photography. These classes are offered only one period per day. She attends a “prestigious” (and apparently treacherous) private school and they are willing to bend to the online history class. It is a requirement for graduation. However, will it look bad that she took an online class when she applies to Bama next August?</p>

<p>Thanks for reading my long-winded post!</p>

<p>Your poor daughter! I’m so sorry she’s going through this. I know you didn’t ask for advice, but I would want the bullies to switch classes. A private school surely has more prerogatives than a public. </p>

<p>I have no special knowledge of UA’s policies, but my best guess is that as long as FL accepts the history credit, UA will.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>With a GPA like that and such impressive extracurriculars and obvious passions, your daughter should have no trouble getting into Bama regardless of what classes she takes online. On a side note, If she has not yet taken the PSAT, I would recommend she does. Bama gives great scholarships for National Merit</p>

<p>Thank you, Junie! I think that maybe we are looking for a quiet way out. But you are right. Maybe they should switch. </p>

<p>Yes, Florida Virtual School online classes count for credit towards graduation at both public and private schools. I guess I am still suffering from that whole online class stigma, lol.</p>

<p>Yes, ert123, she took the PSAT and we are waiting on the results. Let’s see where that leads…</p>

<p>My son had to take an online class. It did not impact his acceptance at all.</p>

<p>Thank you, Kylesdad. It is good to know and makes me feel better.</p>

<p>Count our DS as another who took an online class and found no issues with Bama. DS had to take Honors Latin II online due to schedule conflicts.</p>

<p>My D took several FLVS classes with out any issues when applying to Bama!</p>

<p>Your D will be fine with the online class.</p>

<p>I agree that the bullies should take another class, however, I think your D will become more of a target if that happens.</p>

<p>Can I just say that i H-A-T-E bullies and bullying!!! Even with all of this talk in the schools about not putting up with bullying it just seems the schools still sweep it under the rug and pretend it does not happen. We have been down that road one too many times with our younger daughter. Thankfully, the middle school bullies went to a different high school than her. </p>

<p>Prayers that you and your daughter can stand strong and will get thru this and come out strong. </p>

<p>I’ve heard of others taking online courses. As long as it is approved by your state education board to count for high school credits for graduation it should be fine. We have actually talked about at least one online course for D2 for high school. Just trying to squeeze everything in. </p>

<p>HUGS to you and your daughter</p>

<p>DD has had several online classes and was accepted and given the Presidential, no problem. Hugs to you and your DD!!</p>

<p>Thank you so much for the replies and the support! :)</p>

<p>I think we are going to go that route. I agree with M2CK- I feel like she shouldn’t hide from these brats but at the same time if action is taken against them it will only get worse.</p>

<p>Have a great day everyone!</p>

<p>Oh- and I just wanted to add that the online course is through the state and approved for graduation credit. I just worry because it is a core course, but online classes are common today, I guess.</p>

<p>First off, so sorry about your daughter’s situation. Been there, too, with my sons. It’s never pleasant. Ironically, the latest person to “bully” my younger son is … a teacher. But that’s another story for another day.</p>

<p>My older son lived on online AP classes. Got 5s on all the exams. Went to UA as a National Merit and did extremely well. He even took several online classes while at UA.</p>

<p>The younger son, who probably will not attend UA, has an online AP econ class this year and loves it. He wishes he had taken more over the years.</p>

<p>So sorry that your DD is having a rough time. The online class is nothing to worry about. My DD went to high school in Illinois and it is common for the upper level students to take classes online through local community colleges, etc… in order to get the classes they want and maintain their extra-curricular activities. I don’t have any authority with the UA admission office but it sure looks like your DD has a lovely resume and she is going to be a shining star at UA. Bring her on down and let the Southern Charm of UA erase those bad high school memories.</p>

<p>First off, so sorry to hear about your daughter’s situation. It seems to me that this private school should have an honor code and that the school should take sanctions against these students for violating that code.
As it has been mentioned here in this thread, schools like to “smooth” these situations over as quietly as possible. In the long run, it is probably better for your daughter’s peace of mind to exit the class and have as little overlap with these bullies. I would however impress upon the school that if there is a further incident you will not be silent. Your daughter has a bright future ahead of herself and it is imperative that she focus her energies on that future. I would make it clear to the school that you will not tolerate ANYTHING that interferes with your daughter’s academics or her health (mental and physical). It is all too sad that schools themselves can become the bullies when they are trying to “smooth” things out.</p>

<p>I don’t see any problems with an online course that is accredited, after all there are many homeschoolers that take online classes and Bama accepts many of these students. If you have any questions or doubts you can always call the registrars office or the admissions office to put your mind at ease.</p>

<p>Best wishes for a quick resolution to this situation.</p>

<p>Thanks again, everyone! Yes- the school is smoothing everything over, but I am going to insist that they take action if anything else happens because at this point the bullies would have to actively seek my daughter out to cause any further problems.</p>

<p>I called the admissions office and all of your are correct. As long as it is accredited we are good to go.</p>

<p>Thanks again!</p>

<p>My D took several online classes, too, including aerobics! </p>

<p>I would encourage your D to take the SAT as well. Mine read the book Up Your Score first, which gives many great test-taking tips.</p>

<p>Breaks my heart, but I’m glad you took a risk and posted.</p>

<p>Keep a sharp eye out for secondary effects from her HS experience. We’ve observed a subtle and maddening symptom. DS was bullied and socially isolated for years (superficially because of a 23 hr a day scoliosis brace from hip to armpit, but there’s more to the story). He was shunned by the visually attractive prep school kids: sports, honors, extracurricular activities, church youth group, etc. </p>

<p>Now he’s a 6’ tall, blond, blue-eyed stud. But he is suspicious of and slow to approach the (plentiful and wonderful) “beautiful” kids at Bama.</p>

<p>We talked him through the process. Told him that the kids he would meet are not the same kids who socially isolated him. He obviously intellectually understands, but he hasn’t made many friends yet.</p>

<p>Just be vigilant and loving. Once you’ve worked through the class and credit stuff, spend a little time listening for some of these other challenges that may be incubating inside.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>^^^What a brave young man, your son, Bill. I hope my son gets a chance to meet him before he graduates. Truly an inspiration to all of us facing challenges in our lives.</p>