Nervous about living in private dorms?!

<p>Ok so, to start off I just want to say that I've been doing a lot of research on here and other sites and have gotten some valuable insights. I'm starting college at UW-Madison this fall and I'm going to be living in the Regent 101 apartments with my sister. My parents are really generous and are paying; I actually wanted to live in the dorms because I thought it would be easier to make friends and it's a bit cheaper (I feel really bad that they're paying but I'm still dependent on them) but our parents pushed for the Regent. I'll be sharing a 2-bedroom with 3 other roommates. The thing is, I've been reading stuff about the private dorms and now I'm really nervous about it. Some things I've been seeing are that most people living there are from out of state (I'm from WI), they're really antisocial, are perceived as snobs or rich, and that its hard to meet people/friends. I've also read a lot of terrible reviews about the place. Also, I'm not really into partying (I like weed but that's about it), but because of Madison's reputation I'm concerned that it will make it harder to make friends. I'm not sure if Regent is super boring or party-like, I've read conflicting comments on here.</p>

<p>Can anyone please give me some advice and/or experiences to ease my nerves a little? I'm already a shy person but once I get to know people I'm really outgoing. I don't want to be isolated from other students because I'm living there. My goal is to break out of my shell and make the most of my college experience, I don't want it to be a repeat of high school.</p>

<p>Most people are friendly and the rest are not really worth worrying about. Dorms are just one place you spend time and it is just as likely you can make friends in classes or the gyms etc. Most OOS kids are not rich–just professional class. Some are even poor. I don’t think the Regent has any special reputation except many football players used to live there–may or may not today. It is also convenient for engineering.</p>

<p>Your fears have likely been heaped upon you so being fearful is really not your fault. But recognize this fact and go with an open mind, excited about the adventure that is laying ahead. BTW, everyone is a little scared. Facing fear will be a great moment for you. GL</p>