New metro to airport

<p>I know people are always posting questions about how to get to the airport from UM, so I thought I'd just let everyone know that they finally finished the metrorail extension to the airport.</p>

<p>That's a $2 trip to the airport. Of course, if you'll have a lot of luggage I still think it makes sens to get a taxi, but if you're only bringing a backpack or a suitcase it seems like it would make SO much more sense to take the extension.</p>

<p>According to Miami, "The trip to [Miami International Airport] from South Miami will take
about 23 minutes once service starts."</p>

<p>That's about as fast as I could get there if there were no traffic on the road and I ran every red light on the way there!</p>

<p>During the day, the orange line train, which is what will take you to the airport, comes every 10-15 minutes, and after 7PM it comes every half an hour. (as a side note, this also means that during the day trains will generally now come every 5-7 minutes, unless you're going farther north than Earlington Heights.</p>

<p>Looks like our public transportation system is (finally) on the way up! (And just one year before I have to leave, too :( )</p>

<p>I would totally be excited about this if I wasn’t flying in/out of Ft. Lauderdale! Tickets to Miami are so darn expensive.</p>

<p>Just curious though, how long is the metro ride from Coral Gables to downtown?</p>

<p>UM is 4 stops from the start of downtown, Brickell, or about 8 minutes. The heart of downtown (Govt Center) is one more stop away. From either of those, you can get tons of places on foot or hop on the Metro Movers which are pretty cool with great views of our beautiful city (and free). </p>

<p>Sent from my Desire HD using CC</p>

<p>RoKr93 - I’m pretty sure rankinr posted a slick way to get to/from Ft. Lauderdale airport using something called a TriRail train - you have to make 1 transfer, but it sounded pretty easy.</p>