New to sororities--quick 2 questions

<p>Alabama accepts weighted gpa for scholarships , so is that gpa the one sororities go by? We decided today to go to preview day in March. Am I correct that there is no quick registration and that the preview registration and fall recruitment registration are the same? </p>

<p>aphimommy will probably see this soon, but from my understanding (I’m a senior planning to rush as well) is that they go by what ever is on your resume but keep in mind they will receive your final transcripts and its probably good to include one with your sign up form
Also, from my understanding that form is a sign up for preview/interest in recruitment form. I know that the official form comes out in early May! Check out the panhellenic website for more info also check out their recruitment magazine “Greek Chic” it’s super helpful!</p>

<p>From what I understand, the university confirms grades to UA Panhellenic. What exactly that means, I don’t know, but the sororities do NOT go by what’s on the resume. Many PNMs list both their weighted and non-weighted GPAs. Last week, I was told that this year when women register for the preview weekend, they ARE registered for recruitment. Last year there were a number of young women who never actually registered for recruitment because they thought they had signed up when they registered for preview weekend. Sororities were receiving recommendations on PNMs not registered…when they notified UA Panhellenic, the panhel officials called the young women. A number of last-minute (literally!) registrations occurred because of that.</p>

<p>The Greek Chic publication is indeed very helpful, but it’s the 2013 version. 99.9% of it will be accurate, though. The new version will not be posted until a couple or three weeks before recruitment.</p>

<p>In August, about a week before recruitment begins (usually at or around the beginning of sorority work week), Panhellenic sends a list of girls who have registered for recruitment to the Registrars Office requesting final transcript GPA. That list is then shared with each sorority. Southlander is correct, sororities do not use the GPA on the resume as a final GPA but sororities do “look” at it to get an idea of what a girl has done academically in high school. While not a predictor of how a girl is going to do in college, sororities do not want girls who are immediately going to be on scholastic probation and a grade risk!
I would list both weighted and unweighted GPA.
I have to tell you I find the whole registering for Preview and recruitment at the same time confusing! I am sure that it will be addressed at Preview. Am I correct that in May you need to get on and pay for recruitment? I haven’t looked at the panhellenic website in a while.
Greek Chic is helpful but remember things can change (they seem to every year). </p>

<p>It is very confusing! What if you can’t come to Preview but want to register for recruitment? What do you do? This isn’t the case for us, but I am sure there are many girls who can’t make the March date.</p>

<p>Don’t worry! You don’t have to register right now. Registration is usually open almost all summer. I think it’s cheapest to register by July 1, and it goes up after that. They do know that a lot of PNMs can’t come to preview weekend. It’s helpful, especially if you know nothing about sororities, but it’s neither required nor necessary.</p>