NMF/NAF Package 2013-14 & Housing Question

<p>

</p>

<p>my son is NOT NMF, and has a red covered dell. Wonder if he will get any comments. It was purchased before he ever decided on UA, and is a total coincidence. </p>

<p>Maybe I am missing something, or not reading the same tone in the posts. Again, my son is NOT NMF. On Presidential. The only animosity we have is toward our school system that did not inform or prepare us about the potential NMF benefits. And some towards college board- but honestly, that is for many reasons even beyond NMF!! </p>

<p>As far as animosity directed towards the students, that is not really what I am hearing.</p>

<p>On one side we have some parents of students (and maybe some prospective students) who are disappointed that UA is changing the NMF package since they expect that their student will achieve NMF status, and in some instances they were told by UA at campus visits that the NMF package wasn’t changing. On the other side we have some parents of existing or incoming UA Presidential Scholarship students who are saying in effect, “The only reason my student isn’t a NMF and didn’t get an additional $40k in scholarship money is because we happen to live in the wrong state. That’s disappointment.” (And to you parents of existing NMF students who feel that your student’s accomplishments are being somehow downplayed/minimized, I’m sorry that I’m not assigning you to a side!)</p>

<p>I will venture to say that almost all of us are smart folks (or at least smart enough to raise some very smart folks!). Can’t we all agree (after 14 pages) that the other side has at least some degree of validity in their disappointment and move on?</p>

<p>The purpose of my original post in this thread (#152) was to give my opinion as to why UA is electing to cut the overall NMF package, and I think that opinion is still valid. UA has some smart folks overseeing their scholarship programs, and in almost all cases they do a great job of creating specific objective criteria for their scholarships (much better than most universities we encountered). With “comparable” universities cutting their scholarship amounts over the last couple of years, I think UA believes that even a reduced NMF package is in most instances superior to what NMF students will receive from “comparable” schools. Additionally, if in fact the number of NMF students on a campus no longer has the influence it maybe used to in the published rankings so many reference, then I can see why UA would move away from emphasizing (rewarding) NMF status. Conversely, if ACT/SAT scores do have significant weight in the rankings, I would expect that UA modifies their higher scholarship packages to further incent high ACT/SAT students to attend. Incent the results you are trying to achieve and you are more likely to achieve those results.</p>

<p>My son applied to Bama as a financial safety. He wasn’t NMF, but was intending on engineering, so I knew that he was eligible for full tutition + the $2500 engineering stipend. We didn’t visit until after he’d applied and been accepted. We didn’t have one of those <em>wow</em> first visits, he liked the school well enough, but overall, I left thinking the visit was just odd. We visited over fall break and among other things the engineering assistant prof we talked to really tried to convince us to go to Rose-Hulman a school 40 miles from our home. About half our visit was spent telling us how wonderful Rose is and what a top-notch education they provide??? I didn’t drive 7 hours to hear about a school that is practically in our backyard!</p>

<p>We did have a <em>wow</em> visit at Purdue, which is only a few hours from home and my son knew other classmates who would be attending.</p>

<p>I expected that my son would get a merit award from Purdue and just assumed that’s where he’d wind up going to school. However even though he ranked in approximately the top 10% of their applicants, they decided that something in his application made him unqualified for any award at all. I understand expecting that your child is deserving of an award and then not having it materialize. I was shocked, I was confused, I was angry, I was offended, and I still am. How could they not think that my son was deserving??? I still don’t understand.</p>

<p>In my immediate anger with Purdue, we went back to the drawing board. We started looking over our options again. My son who like Bama well enough on our first visit (and liked the thought of being 7 hours from home even better), convinced me to make a second trip. Our second trip went MUCH better and I started looking at Bama as a serious option.</p>

<p>However after my initial anger and shock subsided, I knew what was most important was that my son was happy with his choice. Sure I would never completely get over Purdue not providing the award that I thought my son deserved, but it was also closer to home, he had classmates that were going there, and all and all $20,000/year isn’t ‘unreasonable’ for a college education. Sure my son deserved a merit award, but his achievements also made him very deserving of me reaching a little deeper in my wallet if that’s what he really wanted. I told him that sure he could go to Bama for half the price, but if he REALLY wanted to go to Purdue, I’d get over my anger with them and make it happen. </p>

<p>He still chose Bama. Maybe because Purdue offended him too, maybe because he knew I’d never really get over my anger, maybe because he feels guilty about me paying his way, but probably just because it’s 5 hours farther away and he has some big wings he wants to spread.</p>

<p>Sure I’m going to love paying the tuition bill this year and know that I could be cutting corners and borrowing money to get him to Purdue, and I definitely get that money is a big factor in a decision, but personally even in the midst of being angry and upset, I could never imagine letting less than $10,000 per year make that decision for me (and that’s exactly the difference I was looking at between Purdue and Bama when I told my son it was his choice to make and whatever choice he made I would make it happen).</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Well, wonder no more. My son is NMF, entering his third year at UA and he’s received zero hostility about his status. To the contrary, he’s been treated with warmth and acceptance by honors and non-honors students alike. </p>

<p>I’m not saying anyone on this thread expressed hostility toward NMF students, but even if that were the case let’s not confuse the sentiments of a handful of anonymous posters on an Internet forum with the atmosphere at UA. And, for the record, lest anyone think asaunmom is hostile toward NMFs, fuggedaboutit. She’s a friend of mine and nothing could be further from the truth.</p>

<p>No one goes through life snark-free. The antidote, as a local celebrity once told me, is to embrace the philosophy that, “What you think of me is none of my business.”</p>

<p>Roll Tide.</p>

<p>Jrcsmom^^^I am very surprised at your son’s first visit…I can’t speak about the engineering dept. since I don’t have a student in engineering, however I am very relieved and happy that your second visit was much better. Just for future reference to prospective students, was the first or second visits set up through the Honors College?</p>

<p>I am sure that your son will have a great experience at Bama. I don’t believe that either you or he will be disappointed. There are many students in various majors who have chosen UA over so called more “prestigious colleges” and those that I know are prospering and thriving.</p>

<p>There are non-scholarship students who have crimson (red) computers, computers skins are very common. I really don’t think anybody looks twice at those colors. Seriously most kids don’t even take their computers to class.</p>

<p>M2CK has given some good advice, it is always best not to talk about your scholarship amounts. It is like the corporate advice about not discussing your salary with co-workers. There are various scholarships with different amounts that are awarded to incoming or current students, most people will never even know that you have a scholarship unless you mention it.</p>

<p>*I’ve had snarky comments made about my NMF status before. Even if you don’t brag about it, a considerable number of individuals know that a crimson Dell = National Merit (at least for us older folk). So every time you use your laptop, you are essentially announcing it to the world, even if you don’t mean to do so. *</p>

<p>Well, most kids keep their laptops in their dorm rooms, so they’re not announcing to the world anything. And, since many laptops come in colors (I have a red Dell as well), having a red one doesn’t necessarily equal NMF status.</p>

<p>My NMF son told me that he could tell the NMFs by the backpacks that used to be given out…black with a white Bama A embroidered on the back. He never had anyone say anything negative to him. </p>

<p>I do remember a friend of my son telling me that she (a NMF) did hear a snarky comment from a roomie about her getting free housing. Likely, the other girl had great stats and maybe had to take out loans for her housing or something. </p>

<p>Good heavens…are there schools where kids don’t make ANY snarky comments about ANYTHING? </p>

<p>Kids will always voice snarky comments about whatever they’re jealous about…someone’s parents bought them a better car, someone has a generous clothing allowance, someone can afford pricey study abroad trips. </p>

<p>My Vandy nephew luckily doesn’t have any financial issues, so it doesn’t bother him at all that his roomie is on a full need ride to Vandy. However, maybe if my nephew’s family was struggling to pay the cost and/or my nephew was going to be facing significant loans after he graduated, he might feel/say something inappropriate. It wouldn’t be right/polite to say something, but people aren’t always nice/polite when they’re bothered by something. </p>

<p>My goodness, wander over to the Financial Aid forum here on CC and you’ll find snarky after snarky comments about needy kids getting free rides to this or that fancy school, or other jealous posts. </p>

<p>Heck, this sort of thing even happens in the work place. At my last job, a co-worker google-earthed my home address, showed it to others, and made snarky comments about its very large size. I had to put up with comments like, “why do you even work?” </p>

<p>No matter where you are in life, some people are just petty, jealous, and will lash out if given the opportunity. </p>

<p>No one should fear going to Bama will mean some kind of uptick in snarky comments. If an odd comment is heard a couple of times over 4 years, that’s hardly anything to worry about because no school is going to be 100% “all nice talk” 24/7.</p>

<p>Kids make comments about everything. But lets get one thing straight: while in general there is no hostility towards students on scholarship at Bama (NMF, Presidential or otherwise), there COULD be a couple bad apples who feel resentful or jealous and therefore make snide remarks. I was not trying to insinuate that there is a an attitude of hostility towards kids with large scholarships. I’ve never ever felt that way. </p>

<p>I’m well aware that a school will not be 100% nice all the time. Random insults and hatred occur at almost all schools. I’ve been at Alabama for three years - I’ve seen racial slurs chalked into the ground, I’ve been insulted repeatedly for not having a Greek affiliation, and I’ve been looked down on as a female in engineering. THESE ARE NOT THE NORM, it’s a teeny tiny group of people who let their unjustified hate fester and feel the need to share it with others. I was simply sharing my experience - it happens, and eventually you get over it. Some people don’t mature past middle school. Anyone who is petty enough to verbalize these opinions to your face is probably not someone you want to associate with in the first place. </p>

<p>Regarding the computers, my class of NMFs computers are very distinctive and awkward looking (boxy, bright crimson, just really strange), and I’ve seen very few computers with skins that look similar. However, this isn’t even an issue now that they are getting iPads. I also agree that it’s wise not to discuss scholarships - it’s just like talking salaries. Never really a good plan, and no one I know really does it unless we are all applying for the same award or something.</p>

<p>(And just FYI, the COE is moving more towards a laptop focused curriculum, so more people will be bringing their laptops to campus. There are no computer labs in the SERC and NERC buildings).</p>

<p>Wow. 14 pages.</p>

<p>My D qualifies for Presidential (35 ACT, 4.0 GPA) and we already know she missed NMSF cut off in LA by several points. Had a pretty bad start to her junior year. I was disappointed but thankful she would get at least full tuition IF the Presidential requirements didn’t change for this year. And luckily they haven’t.</p>

<p>I can understand the frustration of those who visited one week and were told one thing and now see it’s something else.</p>

<p>But unfortunately, that is life. In LA and FL, state legislatures are imposing major cuts on college budgets. D is considering schools in those states and many don’t even post their scholarship info because it changes too much from year to year.</p>

<p>I’m wondering if a lot of NMSFs choose not go to Bama this year if maybe Admissions/ Honors will throw extra money to snag high stats kids late in admissions cycle??? </p>

<p>In any case, the presidential is a very generous scholarship, considering everything that Bama has to offer my D. It is quite high on her list.</p>