NMF/NAF Package 2013-14 & Housing Question

<p>m2ck - “I do hope that Bama formally or informally awards “bonus merit” to those with particulary high stats - maybe ACT 34+. I would prefer that Bama come out with some formal award so that those with those stats can know what they’re getting.”</p>

<p>My only wish would be that they would “grandfather in” existing students who would meet such new “bonus merit” criteria!</p>

<p>M2CK - I think you should share the bonus merit idea with the powers that be, pronto. :)</p>

<p>“I do hope that Bama formally or informally awards “bonus merit” to those with particulary high stats - maybe ACT 34+. I would prefer that Bama come out with some formal award so that those with those stats can know what they’re getting.”</p>

<p>In regards to this, aren’t there already ‘hidden’ scholarships awarded to people with particularly good scores? Did we ever gain any insight as to what the cutoff for that would be? The only person I remember getting it was someone who had 1600/1600.</p>

<p>In the past, it has seemed that those with an ACT 35+ (SAT equiv) who apply early in the app season and who apply in an A&S major, get an add’l $4k per year.</p>

<p>It was confusing because those in Eng’g or other colleges, didn’t seem to get the extra money. Of course, eng’g majors with an ACT 30+ get an extra $2500 per year, but it was unfortunate that those with higher stats didn’t get a bit more.</p>

<p>Extra money was not AUTOMATICALLY given to students with a 35+ in the college of Arts & Sciences. Not this year anyway.</p>

<p>MichaelGScarn - “Aren’t there already ‘hidden’ scholarships awarded to people with particularly good scores? Did we ever gain any insight as to what the cutoff for that would be? The only person I remember getting it was someone who had 1600/1600.”</p>

<p>From someone with decision-making authority at UA, I was told that the “Presidential Elite” “hidden” scholarship is only awarded to students who have a 36 ACT or 1600 SAT (CR+M), and at least a 3.5 GPA.</p>

<p>Since I was the first one in this thread to reference the inconsistent benchmark of the NMF designation, I will assume that comments such as “some posters seem to have the attitude that NMSF status is not an accomplishment” were directed to at least some extent at me.</p>

<p>If you think that, go back and read my post. My comment was “there are students with higher stats (PSAT, ACT/SAT, GPA, etc.) with “only” full tuition, while SOME students with lower stats have full tuition + $40k.” That is not opinion; that is fact. There are students with 35 ACT, 4.0 unweighted gpa, 45 AP credit hours, and PSAT scores that would have garnered NMF status in 30+ states, and yet “only” have Presidential solely because they live in a higher cutoff state. Similarly there SOME NMF that likely have lower stats in all categories, and yet have NMF status solely because they live in a lower cutoff state.</p>

<p>The main point of my post was that it is ridiculous that an organization that carries the moniker of “NATIONAL Merit” varies the NMF designation on a state-by-state basis (and I’m not even talking about NA; that’s a different rant, although at least NA is a NATIONAL cutoff). To draw a parallel to the NMF situation, what would everyone’s reaction be if UA said that to earn Presidential you had to have a 35 ACT if you lived in CA or MA, a 33 if you lived in TX, but only a 29 if you lived in LA, MS, or WV?</p>

<p>Seeking…you’re right…it’s never been automatic. However, there seemed to be such awards given to those who applied early in the app season with an ACT 35+ or SAT equivalent who were in A&S. However, maybe the students had to be certain majors in A&S?? That’s possible.</p>

<p>But, never automatic/assured.</p>

<p>BULL-that’s EXACTLY right. It’s not being negative toward one or the other. The fact is that NMF is a designation of a specific achievement not necessarily higher ability designation. The fact that UA gave such an enormous NMF award has appeared to give some an exaggerated sense of accomplishment. That simply is not the case.
IMO, College Board is a money making mess!
ps It’s hard to “lose” something that you never had…</p>

<p>kind of like the top 10% (or is it 8 now) we have in texas. it is not fair to everyone. kids from maybe not as good schools can get into the top schools because they are top 10% IN THEIR SCHOOL. many kids from tougher schools could have higher stats in all categories than some of the top 10 from other schools, but they have little or no chance of getting into the top state schools. </p>

<p>NMF is a top percentage (i don’t know the number) from each state. kids in the lower scoring states benefit and those with good stats (but not quite good enough IN THEIR STATE) feel like it isn’t fair.</p>

<p>maybe they should do away with the NMF scholarship altogether and just make awards based on SAT or ACT scores.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>You’re making a big assumption, and in my case anyway, it’s incorrect. This thread is about UA decreasing the automatic scholarship for NMF. The people who are noticing that the scholarship has decreased are voicing disappointment because either they liked having a full ride safety in their pocket, or they really loved UA and now it’s going to cost more (or some combination of the two). </p>

<p>It’s not a judgement against those who aren’t NMF.
It’s not an opinion on whether or not College Board’s criteria for awarding NMF is fair.
It’s not a belief that UA owes NMF’s free housing.
It’s not complaining that NMF’s are entitled to free housing.
It’s not pretending that final notices have been mailed out to all official NMF’s.
It’s not a judgement of whether or not UA’s academics are good enough.</p>

<p>It’s simply finding out that this is the year that an NMF stops getting housing all four years. UA sets their scholarship criteria. It is what it is. Getting housing for four years is better than getting housing for one year. And for those with rising seniors or younger, it’s a change. For the worse. And it’s going to knock UA out of the running for some. And stating that fact, along with some disappointment that the gravy train for NMF’s at UA is starting to get a little leaner, does not equal a sense of entitlement or an overreaction. </p>

<p>I think the strongest reaction was from people who have been told by UA admissions personnel that the scholarship for the current cycle is staying the same, only to find out a week or more later that it isn’t. Didn’t someone say they’d even gotten printed materials describing the wrong scholarship info?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>my sister lives in Texas, and they are struggling with that as well. Especially since the graduating class her daughter will be in is 3000+.</p>

<p>M2CK: I think you are correct. The “hidden scholarships” in A&S for the 35+ students are not guaranteed, and I know at least three with 35s that did not receive those hidden scholarships. And I also know of one student that was given one of these scholarships with scores in the lower 30s. It appears that choice of major does seem to play into this, but I am only guessing. I also wonder if other critieria play into the distribution of said scholarships. Perhaps a certain type of community service, where the student is from, etc. Again, I am only guessing.</p>

<p>The University of Alabama can offer scholarships any way they choose. That is their right. Parents and students have to play by their rules. The change is dissappointing for the NMF in the class of 2013 I’m sure. But I think that some of the posters that have commented on the “fairness” of the NM competition have made some very good points. </p>

<p>DS chose Bama because of the incredible programs he interviewed for and the outstanding people he met. Would the guaranteed $40K of the NM scholarship have been a godsend…you bet. Did it stop him from choosing Bama…not for one second. </p>

<p>Voicing dissappointment over the change is understandable. However, current NMF and their parents need to realize that not all high acheiving students at Alabama are sitting where you are. During Bama Bound, a parent of a NMF student sat down at our table in a huff. She was all upset to learn that the cost of the meal plan was going up and furious that Bama was not going to cover any of the cost. She was also loudly complaining that the money for study abroad would barely cover the cost of airfare. I won’t bore you with the rest of the rant… What she didn’t know is she had sat down with two very well rounded students that fall in the 35+ territory that did not received this wonderful scholarship that she was so quick to complain about. I was sick to my stomach as I watched the faces of the students at the table.</p>

<p>Of course I know that not everyone is so insensitive. I also know that the high acheiving students (and their parents) without the NMF scholarship are very sensitive. Hey, it hurts. </p>

<p>Again, we knew the rules going in. Will some choose not to attend UA because of the change in the scholarshp…yes. But, will some choose to attend UA without this scholarship…yes. I personally know one student without the NMF scholarship that can’t wait for his next four years as a member of The University of Alabama community.</p>

<p>Well said Seekingknowledge!</p>

<p>Pinot-It’s no assumption…</p>

<p>After thirteen pages of this thread (and more to come, I am sure), I think it is safe to say that even if the decrease in the National Merit Housing award doesn’t cause potential NMF/NA finalists to consider other schools, the tone of barely concealed hostility towards the holders of the NMF/NA scholarship will certainly cause the parents of those students to wonder whether Alabama will be a hospitable environment for their students. </p>

<p>I’ve gotten PMs from people who are concerned about just that question. To the parents of those students, please let me assure you the administration, faculty and staff have never expressed anything other than happiness that my daughter chose to attend Alabama. Her roommates, who were all very accomplished honors college students, thought it was “cool” that she was a NMF – but were also happy that they get to choose their own housing in coming years. She has never encountered any open expression of the kind of ill feeling on display in this thread and I would find it highly unlikely that your student will either.</p>

<p>It really doesn’t make sense that anyone would be concerned about any hostility. It would be one thing if Bama had INCREASED its NMF scholarship. Then it might have been possible for another student to make a snarky comment. But, with the reduced scholarship there really wouldn’t be much/any reason for any hostility. </p>

<p>Frankly, I’ve always thought it best that when on campus (ANY school) that students NOT discuss what they were given…need-based aid, grants, merit scholarships, etc. It’s just not a good idea. People are people and there is always the possibility there will be a student who is really struggling to get their costs covered and that person is going to feel bad hearing about someone else’s big package (whether merit or need-based). The same can happen between parents. One family can be struggling to pay for college, while they know a family friend’s child is going for free (merit or need-based grants). Again, this is regardless of schools.</p>

<p>NMF kids are not harassed at Bama. Has there ever been a NMF kid who’s heard a snarky comment? Probably…but again, discretion about one’s scholarships is the best approach. </p>

<p>These are 18-22 year olds. Kids hear snarky comments about all kinds of things. My older son told me that his PhD roomie (he’s at another school) made a snarky comment that my son is spoiled because of something we bought him. this kind of crap happens…not often…but will happen ANYWHERE.</p>

<p>I’ve had snarky comments made about my NMF status before. Even if you don’t brag about it, a considerable number of individuals know that a crimson Dell = National Merit (at least for us older folk). So every time you use your laptop, you are essentially announcing it to the world, even if you don’t mean to do so. </p>

<p>The people making snide remarks towards me were mostly smart kids who also had scholarship, but were not NMF. Maybe they feel that the large amount of NMFs is over-hyped and that we aren’t worth the money, or maybe they are jealous of the scholarship. Whatever the case, you just have to treat it like water off a duck’s back. It’s not worth the effort to be that concerned over people. Just be humble and appreciative of the blessings you receive.</p>

<p>I need to stop posting…I’m just getting thoroughly irritated. Pointing out the fact that UA is more than generous with their scholarships does not equate to disdain for a student or their designation. I also agree that discussing scholarships among peers, merit or need based, is bad form. Believe what you may, but there is no ill will toward students regardless of a designation, a scholarship, a program, being a Greek or otherwise.
It’s about the parents of those students who post “they were robbed” is what makes me bananas. That is the only thing that I addressed. Nothing to do with the student body. Moving on…</p>

<p>Mesquite Girl – It is a shame that you encountered boorish people. The number of accolades that you’ve personally brought to the University show that the extra $30,000 that the University invested in you was definitely money well spent!</p>