North and South - February CC Book Club Selection

Circling back to North and South, I have one final comment, which involves another historical footnote:

I really hope Margaret doesn’t invest her entire inheritance in the mill, because she and Mr. Thornton are in for trouble once the Civil War starts. In 1855, Elizabeth Gaskell could not have foreseen what would be coming a mere six years later – The Cotton Famine of 1861-65.

80% of the raw cotton for that trade came from the slave states of the southern USA. In July 1861, that fell to zero, literally overnight. It remained close to zero for the next three years. This can be regarded as the world’s first raw material crisis, and one of the most dramatic periods in Britain’s industrial and economic history.

About 4.5 billion lbs of raw cotton were denied to British manufacturers in the seven years to the end of 1867. This caused massive unemployment in the industry, leading to the Lancashire Cotton Famine. British cotton and the American Civil War – In Conversation with Jim Powell & Meredith Wheeler | Liverpool University Press Blog

Here’s a NY Times newspaper headline from that era:

Margaret and John will have barely gotten the mill up and running again, when disaster will hit. Lancashire Cotton Famine - Wikipedia

I hate to leave them on that note, but alas, as Gaskell wrote in North and South, “the cloud never comes in that quarter of the horizon from which we watch for it.” Let’s hope that Love (plus a comfortable nest egg) Conquers All.

4 Likes

We can start picking our April selection at any time!

Here is what Margaret tells Thornton about the proposal Lennox wrote up for her. It doesn’t sound like she’s giving him everything. I think my personal continuation of their story includes them remaining conservative in how much money they invest in the mill. :blush:

Margaret:
“Oh! here it is! and—he drew me out a proposal—I wish he was here to explain it—showing that if you would take some money of mine, eighteen thousand and fifty-seven pounds, lying just at this moment unused in the bank, and bringing me in only two and a half per cent.—you could pay me much better interest, and might go on working Marlborough Mills.”

2 Likes

Margaret was lending Thornton the equivalent of 2.5 million dollars! No wonder Henry Lennox didn’t show up.

1 Like

I mentioned the Year Without a Summer at dinner tonight, thinking I was so smart :nerd_face:, but my son said right away – “Oh yeah, that was the weather catastrophe that led Mary Shelley to write Frankenstein.”

So I just learned something else I didn’t know!: The Year Without Summer and the Origins of Frankenstein | by Spencer Baum | Medium

3 Likes

Yikes! I guess it was clear to Henry that he didn’t have a chance.

1 Like

I can tell I’m slowly moving out of my reading slump. I’ve books I want to read.

Razorblade Tears - S.A. Cosby. I’ve read this one. Warning - violence. But one and all in my IRL book club gave it a thumbs up.

A Dangerous Business - Jane Smiley. Western. And only 225 pages:

An amazing “mash-up of a Western, a serial-killer mystery and a feminist-inflected tale of life in a bordello” (The Washington Post).

The Marriage Portrait - Maggie O’Farrell. Renaissance Italy

Horse - Geraldine Brooks. Someone - an avid reader - recommended this one.

Repeat choices (though I think the ship may have sailed on one or two but maybe not). Anyway I looked to see what didn’t make the cut last go-round:
Lessons in Chemistry
Daisy Jones and the Six
Half Sick of Shadows
Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow
True biz

1 Like

An avid reader friend with excellent taste (similar to mine!) told me Horse is one of the best books she’s ever read. It’s been on my to-read list for a while.

1 Like

Horse sounds like a great story. I would love to read it in this group. I recently read Lessons in Chemistry and Daisy Jones and the Six . I enjoyed reading both of them. I would read them again if people were interested, but I wouldn’t put them at the top of my list anymore.

Ditto to everything @Caraid just wrote. I could have written her post.

(Also, I would love any of the other books on @ignatius’ list. I have most of them sitting at home unread!)

1 Like

Horses would not be my first choice, but I could read it. I know Tomorrow, and tomorrow and tomorrow and The Marriage Portrait are both on my list of things I want to read. I would probably enjoy Half Sick of Shadows, but everyone would have to be willing to hear us geek out on Arthurian mythology.

Geeking out on Arthurian mythology sounds like fun…and that’s one of the books I have waiting to be read. I bought it because I thought my daughter might like it, but somehow managed to never give it to her. :thinking:

Eliminating the soft vetoes, we have:

Razorblade Tears by S.A. Cosby

A Dangerous Business by Jane Smiley

The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O’Farrell (repeat author for us, if that matters to anyone)

Horse by Geraldine Brooks

Half Sick of Shadows by Laura Sebastian

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

True biz by Sara Novic

My top three from the list above.

1 Like

My top 3 from the list.

The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O’Farrell

1 Like

I’d be happy with Horse. I love Geraldine Brooks. Just put it on hold at the library.

1 Like

My top three from the list above.

BTW Zevin is also a repeat author. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry was one of my favorite book discussions.

1 Like

Putting this in alphabetical order, so I’m very flexible and will really attempt to read next selection ( see reference to by laws and selection process below ):wink:

In alphabetical order………
Half Sick with Shadows - would expand my genre, and Arthurian mythology sounds meaty for discussion.

Horse- those who love this really are all in on this one, an avid reader friend recently raved. Brooks had me with “Year of Wonders”, and “People of the Book”. Read that Horse can be slow going but then a page turner.

The Marriage Portrait - a goodreads reviewer, a librarian, named Debbie, former editor, ( don’t know her personally but respect her reviews. Raved, “pogo stick “ ( when she’s enthused its pogo stick bouncing time -

She wrote
“….this book joins the ranks of the great classics. Jane Austen,the Brontë sisters,move over. The book should be on the syllabus of college literature courses. I know there are a zillion O’Farrell fans, but I wish the whole world would sit up and take note. Why isn’t she more famous.

When I was done reading this gem, I kissed the air, and grabbed my pogo stick, …….Treat yourself to this amazing, amazing book !”

Regarding by laws, / selection process
I’ve been in reading slump, didn’t read last couple selections, so per CC book discussion 2014 by - laws #4829
“those who actually read the selections, have more say in next selection, regardless of longevity in the book club. “
:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

MIne, too!

My first choice would be *Half Sick of Shadows, then The Marriage Portrait and then Horse and 4th Tomorrow, and Tomorrow and Tomorrow. * I really hate to put them in order, but that is the order that I would be reading them, if they were on my nightstand. I read The Once and Future King many many years ago and loved it. But, these would be my choices with any of them being the following choice.

1 Like