North and South - February CC Book Club Selection

Let’s go with Horse.

It’s on everyone’s list somewhere (albeit in varying positions): @ignatius, @jollymama, @Caraid, @VeryHappy, @mathmom, @AnAsmom, @jerseysouthmomchess, @silverlady. We haven’t heard from @Marilyn, @Colorado_mom, @stradmom and a few other regulars, but hopefully, they’ll be on board.

The other top contenders were clearly Half Sick of Shadows, Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow and The Marriage Portrait – and I’d love to see them on the list for the next round.

But for this time, I think it would be best to have something with wide appeal (I’m pretty sure I replied to myself a few times in the North and South discussion :joy:). Horse is relatively well-known and Brooks is a highly respected author whom we’ve never read together.

It might be good not to have a repeat author this round (O’Farrell, Zevin) because Gaskell was also a repeat (Remember Lois the Witch?)

I’m on a long wait list for Horse, and that might be an issue for others as well. However, we have a while before April 1st, so there should still be enough time for both waiting and reading.

Thanks, everyone!

3 Likes

Thanks, @Mary13 .

It’s a good thing I didn’t remember, because I hated it!

1 Like

Well done ! Horse should have broad appeal !

1 Like

Hi, sorry, we had a daycation yesterday in La Jolla, taking advantage of BOGO Museum Month and senior admission prices so didn’t have a chance to respond.

Horse sounds fine to me! I requested it on ebook (#329 on 56 copies) and hard copy ( #116 on 121 copies).

2 Likes

I’m #94 on 82 copies, so it shouldn’t be long.

2 Likes

I’m #138 – I don’t know how many copies, but the line always moves quickly.

Okay, you know the usual question: What are you reading in the interim?

Right now I am reading My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry by Fredrick Backman. Backman is the A Man Called Ove author. I am about a third of the way through and it keeps my interest, but I’m not yet sure how much I’m going to like it. I think I will, but we’ll see.

1 Like

First and foremost, thanks to @Mary13 for leading another good discussion. Thanks also to those who added to the discussion with a special nod of appreciation to @jerseysouthmomchess for all her “research.”

My sad little interim reading:

The World Played Chess - Robert Dugoni. An IRL book club choice. I’m almost through with it and my overall feeling is “meh.” Could just be remnants of my reading slump lingering; I have two friends give it strong thumbs up.

Spare - Prince Harry. I’ve heard much about the book, positive and negative. However, nobody told me I’d be bored. Maybe I wouldn’t be if the book was shorter, but Harry doesn’t seem to have 400 pages worth of memoir in him. At this point in my reading, Harry just seems on a rinse and repeat cycle. I may change my mind; I’m only a little over halfway through.

Nothing else in mind really. I’m actually thinking of rereading North and South. I think I’d get more out of it after our discussion.

Or I may look it some of the books not chosen this time. Or maybe someone will spark my interest with one of their interim books.

1 Like

I’ve been too busy to keep up with my regular reading. I accidentally let a couple of holds at the library lapse because I simply lost track of time. Now I’m back of the line to get those books :expressionless:

I tried to read both North and South and Peyton Place but didn’t get beyond the first 2-3 chapters. Possibly, I’m getting into a reading slump — I read a lot of books during the last half of ‘22.
I’m reading a lot of regency and romance fluff. I can finish one in less than 2 hours so no great investment of time. No recall of what I read beyond a week either. I can see a bad habit forming so I put all the books we considered on hold. Hoping I can shake off this slump. Only problem is that nothing is available sooner than 18-19 weeks!

2 Likes

I live on Regency and romance fluff (including historical and paranormal fluff)! I’ll try the occasional best seller, but only if it’s upbeat for the most part. I only read tough depressing books for the CC book club :wink:.

1 Like

In my youth, my romance fluff used to be all the “mysteries of romantic suspense” by Mary Stewart, Madeleine Brent (aka Peter O’Donnell), and M.M. Kaye. But those authors are all dead and gone. Anything similar out there these days? Sometimes, I just need a literary palate cleanser. :slight_smile:

Not suspense, but historical: https://www.isoldemartyn.com/ Much of what I know about the War of the Roses comes from her early books.

Jayne Anne Krentz has a ton (reading her latest right now). She also writes historic romance under Amanda Quick and future under Jayne Castle. Lots of paranormal under all names.

Julie Garwood has a long series with related characters.

1 Like

My mind candy is JD Rob’s In death series :grinning:. Newest one came out and I finished it in 2 days! I also never could get Peyton Place or North and South finished. Butienjoythis group and keep trying.

2 Likes

Just ran into this website - fun! I have to admit I used to read a lot of the authors that are supposed to be close to Mary Stewart but no longer. This is going to give me a lot more fluffy authors to check out!

Also I think I made it through about 15-20 of JD Robb’s In Death series before I stopped. I dip into Nora Roberts books from time to time when I’m bored. She certainly has a formula under any pen name.

1 Like

And if you really enjoyed this month’s book:

Clarification about my comment, ( trying to be funny) about mentioning the “ by - laws ….and selection process,
That was totally in jest, and I was commenting on my totally lack of reading MANY of the last selections,
please, please don’t think I was commenting about any one else being in a slump.

And, everyone’s input makes this the best selection process, I felt guilty making a suggestion, having not read so many,

In honesty, I love that people plug in and out of this book discussion, if a selection isn’t read for any reason, one month, there will be the next discussion in two months! This book club has longevity because so many participate, when they can, life happens.

Ok, carry on, going to the back of to the classroom now :rofl:

4 Likes

I just finished reading Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir (author of The Martian) for another book club. It’s science fiction, which I generally eschew, but I loved it! Very chatty and easy to read. Contains a lot of science – real science – so if that’s not your thing, you can skip it.

4 Likes

I never ever miss a JD Robb book. Love your thumbs up! I don’t have my hands yet on her newest one but should soon.

For anyone interested: I highly recommend started with the first in the series - Naked in Death - because that’s where it all starts. Like many books that are first in a series, I doubt it’s the strongest of the bunch. However, it definitely sets the stage.

By now, those inhabiting the books are no longer characters but friends.

4 Likes

No clarification necessary! Every member has the by-laws memorized and knew exactly what you were talking about. :rofl:

I’m glad everybody feels free to come and go as they please from month-to-month. This wouldn’t be any fun if it felt like an obligation. The various tastes and personalities have made for some really interesting and diverse book selections over the years.

5 Likes