Northeastern University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

Looks like they are still working on integrating the mills college into northeastern. For now it looks like students spend a semester or year and finish in boston. But it may change in the future.

1 Like

I spoke to a parent whose daughter applied ED last year. Her preference was Boston campus, but she was accepted to NUin so they told her the ED contract was no longer binding. She really didnā€™t want to start off her college experience abroad, but was open to the idea since Northeastern was her top choice. However, she ended up having a change of heart after a visit to American University and decided to attend college there. Her mom was very grateful they released her from ED and applauds the policy as do I.

If my son applies EA, are these the possible results? Do students get rejected from EA or all are moved to regular decision or encouraged to switch to ED2? Thanks for any insight!

A) Acceptance to Boston campus
B) Acceptance to NUin (one semester abroad)
C) Acceptance to Global Scholars (1 year abroad)
D) Acceptance to London campus (temporary or all 4 years)
E) Acceptance to Mills campus (temporary or all 4 years)
F) Moved to regular decision
G) Rejected

1 Like

My son applied for the financial aid pre-read on October 9th since he is considering ED. We still havenā€™t heard back, but we know they received the FAFSA & CSS Profile. I called and the financial aid person I spoke to said that he would need to apply first and the financial pre-read would be in his portal after applying, but I donā€™t think this is accurate. Maybe she thought I was talking about the actual financial package students get after acceptance? I mentioned we were using that pre-read to determine if he would apply ED or EA and she said to just apply either way and he could change it later. Can anyone who did the pre-read confirm the procedure? Thanks!

1 Like

I sent you a message.

3 Likes

If you apply ED and are offered anything other than regular acceptance to the Boston campus the decision is not binding. It has always been that way.

3 Likes

Does Northeastern allow self reporting of SAT scores for EA/ED?

1 Like

Just wanted to add for anyone considering the program now called Global Scholars - you cannot apply any federal or state loans/grants to this program. Iā€™m not entirely sure why.

Also, if you participate in the Global Scholars program in London your student will need to apply for a student visa. As part of the process you need to demonstrate your students access to an entire yearā€™s worth of tuition and living expenses, i.e. an actual bank statement for roughly 90k.

1 Like

Yes. They have updated portal and you can now add scores from multiple test dates.

1 Like

Great points!

Federal and state loans are for institutes of higher education in the U.S.

And yes, a student visa is required - and can sometimes take a while to get.

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure of the new program global scholars (is it just a name change) but as NUbound, students are not actually matriculated at NEU until their second year when they are considered ā€œtransferā€ students, and therefore federal aid cannot be used. Same with NUINā€¦ you are not matriculated in that case until spring semester. NU has increased their institutional aid for these programs, but a lot of people are self pay.
A new 4 year program at NU Oakland or London likely is considered matriculated in NU but I guess that remains to be determined. (I imagine at least Oakland would be bc itā€™s domestic.)

1 Like

My understanding is the only folks at Mills this year are continuing Mills students, new NUIN and NUBound students. Those two latter programs only took students from certain majors as they are somewhat continuing the social Justice, women empowerment focus Mills had. That may change over time but remains to be seen.

1 Like

Can you share info on the Global Scholars program? It is not on their website.

1 Like

I am making an assumption that the Global Scholars program is the new name for the NU Bound program based on what I saw on the Common App. Iā€™m happy to answer any questions about the program in London - if I can. I have limited information about the Mills campus. My daughter is at the London campus, and I just visited with her 2 weeks ago.

2 Likes

Please keep us posted if you visit the Oakland campus. Will be interesting to see what they have out there.

Is she committed to do all 4 years in London and is the cost the same as if you went to Boston?

1 Like

No, she is headed to Boston next year. I really have no idea what NU is planning to do with the 4 year program. Itā€™s definitely been a time of transition. The school only officially became NU London sometime at the end of the summer. I do know NU completely revamped the course offerings in London to mirror what is offered in Boston. NCH (the former college) was humanities based and many of the London NU students are stem and business so itā€™s a big change for the remaining NCH staff.

That being said my daughter is loving it. The housing and campus are great, London is great. there are roughly 600 NU students currently at the London campus. My daughter was not initially excited by NU, and definitely not excited about a year abroad, but so far, itā€™s been great. The buildings are modern, the area is safe and bustling. The NU kids are definitely taking advantage of living in London and travel opportunities. I would be thrilled if my currrent senior had the same opportunity next year.

In re to cost I donā€™t have the numbers for Mills and Boston but Iā€™m 99% certain itā€™s more expensive. NU rationalizes it by saying London is really expensive which is very true. But there is no meal plan or meal credits included with the London tuition.

1 Like

Those in London are either currently NUin Or NUBound (one year). Any 4 year program is a new offering for fall of 2023 it seems.

1 Like

I am sure that if you are getting an NU degree, you are paying the same tuition costs as NU (bc youā€™ll pay NU.) That is the same as in study abroad. Housing and living expenses are what they are wherever you live. Mills/Oakland can be high cost bc of Bay Area housing costs, but honestly not much more than Boston can be (I live in the greater Bay Area.) Food expenses are usually cheaper if you are not on a meal plan (if you cook a lot on your own) no matter where you are. I imagine London is fairly high COL but I do not know the comparisons. I also think it is harder to live in Oakland without a car compared to Boston/London.

1 Like

Same with Millsā€¦ it only became NU this year.