Not Rescnded but...

<p>My son got home from SOAR only to find a letter in our mailbox from the admissions department. The letter addressed the fact that he had a case of senioritis (my word) Spring semester whereby he got his first 'C' grade on any report card. He got an A, a B and 3 C's. Basically, it stated that in reviewing his final transcript and noticing a drop in scholastic performance, UW in certain cases will rescind their offer of admission in such cases. The letter then went on to say that in my son's case, rescinding the offer will not apply (but seemed to imply some level of consideration) and encouraged him to address the reasons for the decline and listed a few on campus support systems (GUTS, for example) that he may want to reach out to once he arrives on campus. Quite the disconcerting letter to say the least. As he was reading the letter, the thought that he was going to get rescinded flashed in his mind. Shook him up some. I can't really say I appreciated the letter myself.</p>

<p>Why not? He was admitted on certain assumptions and then did not live up to those. Others probably were denied with similar quals. It’s just a way of saying shirking off is not really acceptable and we expected better of you. And that is correct. They are trying to get his head back into his studies as the #1 priority. He will have many more distractions in Madison and needs to get his act together.</p>

<p>I am wondering if I can pay a college to send a letter like this to my son sometime around spring break next year. I know he is going to need it. Sending it mid-summer is not really going to help though!</p>

<p>WOW. Sounds like your son deserved it. My son did hid his worst second semester senior year (including a 5 on the AP Chem test taken in May and a C in the course second semester)- senioritis is the word to use. A UW Honors degree and double major later HS is ancient history. As embarrassing as it may be you may want this letter known to his HS so others will learn that the whole HS career counts. I’m sure your son learned his lesson about slacking off. I’ll bet he is sure to study harder this fall- the purpose of the letter. UW wants him to succeed but he showed them it is not a sure thing by his last semester. It is nice they had concrete suggestions for him as well.</p>

<p>Thank you for sharing this warning. It may help this fall’s seniors. Your son learned a lifelong lesson without dire consequences. The timing was nice- just after SOAR and not the day before- he was able to enjoy SOAR and college anticipation was fresh in his mind. I’ll bet a year from now this will be a distant memory and he will be eagerly waiting for the fall semester at UW.</p>

<p>Yes…the only part I was a little taken aback by was the implication that his getting rescinded was a consideration. I’m fine with the rest of it and the splash of cold water it provided him.</p>

<p>Parenting is hard work. This letter saves you admonishments to work hard unlike senior year and comes from a reliable source. You should save it for the future when he gets a major job, award, grad/prof school…- a memento of what he almost gave up but didn’t.</p>