Notification of Scholarships & Financial Aid

@Thelma2 So if you qualify for Aggie Assurance should you have been offered enough money to cover tuition?

@awesome7 I am not very versed in a lot of the different grants, scholarships and programs but am trying to learn what I can from the websites and past threads.
From what I understand, Aggie Assurance covers the gap some may have after other grants and scholarships are applied to cover tuition. Fees are not included in what Aggie Assurance covers.

In some other reading, and I don’t have confirmation on it yet, but that Aggie Assurance doesn’t kick in until the 12th day of class, which is after the bill is due. I don’t know how that works exactly and so a call to financial aid (or an email asking to outline the process) would be in order.

Here is the online info on it http://financialaid.tamu.edu/Aggie-Assurance

$500 opportunity, is this something almost everyone gets?

Daughter admitted to Mays in September, received Business Honors invitation packet Nov 4.
She has received Presidential Scholarship-
$3,000 per year/4 years + 1x $1k study abroad
She also has a 1x Opportunity Scholarship ($1k)
She was told Business Honors Scholarship wouldn’t be announced/given until March.

@52AG82

Congrats on your daughter receiving the Pres. Endowed Scholarship and opportunity award.
Do you know when the presidential scholarship was awarded as well as the opportunity award?
Thank you for the heads up on the date for the Honors Scholarship

Thanks! We weren’t expecting anything, so both were a pleasant surprise!
Jan 17 she was awarded the Opportunity Scholarship (doesn’t say why/what it is, but details come out in May). I can’t find the date for the Presidential Endowed, but it was early January.
She applied to A&M first of August, got acceptance the first round in September.
Nat Merit Commended (PSAT 1440), Top 4% graduating class-very competitive school,
33 ACT, 1420 SAT, 600+ volunteer hours, class officer, FFA Officer

:arrow_up: @Thelma2 I’m new to this, so couldn’t couldn’t figure out how to edit/tag/reply. My bad!
My daughter also got Business Honors acceptance packet/invitation Nov 4. Bus Honors Scholarship won’t be announced until mid March, per BH person that has been talking to my daughter.

Logo44: Did the Presidential scholarship appear before you completed the FAFSA? My son has an opportunity award, but I have not completed the FAFSA form yet.

52AG82 I asked this to someone else, did you complete the FAFSA form before receiving notification of the Presidential Endowed? Thanks in advance.

@Agparent66 my daughter submitted FAFSA in the fall, shortly after receiving A&M acceptance in September. The Presidential Endowed & Opportunity Scholarships appeared on her portal in January.

AFAIKS no merit scholarships require FAFSA. Only need based awards. Presidential endowed seems to be merit so FAFSA should be irrelevant.
Also note “Texas A&M does not stack Academic Scholarships”

Just curious if anyone has received any scholarships lately, or know when they might be coming out. I see where some have been awarded. Do you think that most merit awards have already been awarded? My son is OOS and just received an email today with acceptance into the engineering HC. To date he has gotten the Maroon award and two loan offers (which we will not be taking). His only hope of attending A&M would be to qualify for the waiver (a long shot, but someone has to get them).

He has several other good options (Iowa State and Auburn). He absolutely loves A&M! We are just praying that if that is the right place for him then he will somehow get the waiver. If he doesn’t get it, then that is the Lord closing that door.

Any information/insight would be helpful!

@1stCollBound all Merit scholarships have been given (per the admins on this thread). I believe individual college scholarships (like Business, Engineering, etc) will be given in March or later.
I understand OOS waiver is very difficult to guilt.
Perhaps @Thelma2 can give more info.

@52AG82 That is what I was afraid of (merit already given). We knew that it would be near impossible but were still hopeful that something would work out. Looks like Iowa State will be where he will end up. They have given enough scholarship to make it less than in state there. Auburn is in state for us and he has full tuition there with potential for more from eng dept and several ind. scholarships. All that being said, he would love an opportunity to experience something different. Thanks for the response and good luck to all!

@Thelma2 Do you have any additional information concerning merit scholarships? Thanks!

We spoke with a financial aid person at Aggieland Saturday. I asked how did they expect people to afford school when the scholarships for even top kids are very minimum. I said it is cheaper(with merit scholarships) for my kid to go 800 miles away to Alabama than it is for 90 miles away at TAMU. She said most freshmen do not get big awards because they want to make sure they will return the next year. Most departments save bigger ones for sophomores and up because they are invested in the school. She went on to say they had kids with perfect scores not receive any scholarships from TAMU.
Really frustrating when my kid busted their butt to get good grades to get into the school and get scholarships. However we will figure it out because there’s no where else they want to be.

IMO though, Alabama isn’t a fair comparison to TAMU engineering, for example. UA buys students with good stats to pad out their profile, and that is wonderful and how it is funded is no doubt, a discussion that would take much time. As it is the tax payers of that state are not paying for OOS kids to attend. In Texas, TAMU would be boiled alive for giving money to OOS students in that fashion, and the football program for sure would not be ponying up extra money for that. It IS apples and oranges. As Texas is packed full of high achievers, there is no need to buy students. Instate tuition is reasonable compared to some states. Room and board is what it is. It looks to me like top kids who get nothing at TAMU might get full AES plus stipend at UTD, so Texas has it’s own schools that give out merit yet might not make your list?

@texdancemom, Thanks so much for the response/info. Please don’t take offense to this but as a resident of AL, I would strongly encourage you to spend the extra money and send your kid to A&M. There is NO comparison (in my opinion) between A&M and AL. Not sure what your child’s major is but I feel it’s pretty safe to say it doesn’t matter. Don’t get me wrong, AL is not a terrible school, it just doesn’t compare to A&M. I know they are trying to build their engineering program (hence the heavy OOS recruiting $$) but most people in the state know that if you want a state school for engineering Auburn hands down wins out. Just my two cents…

@Sybylla, Just seeing your post. I completely agree that there is no comparison between A&M engineering and UA engineering (regardless of funding). AL has its fair share of high achievers, some stay in state but many choose to go OOS because their stats enable them to. Unfortunately some schools have the ability to offer more merit than others to OOS students.

I was just using UA as an example. I could have used any of the other OOS schools they were accepted to. My kid has no desire to go there now. It is just a shame high achievers have to struggle to pay tuition in their own state. The other Texas schools that may offer more money do not interest my kid at all. I want them to enjoy the experience, not settle.