Nursing School Applicant?

<p>Okay so I really don't want to sit here and brag about myself, but I was in a situation that I think a thousand other people must be in: utter fear of not getting into nursing schools. I heard a million times about how hard it was to get in, and freaked myself out a million times about not getting in. But, then I got into 4/5 of my schools so far, deferred from 1, and waiting to hear from 2 more. So, if you're really scared you won't get in, I'll post my SAT/ACT/GPA/EC's and whatever, and you may feel better.</p>

<p>Yes, it is an anxious time waiting for decisions,congrats on your acceptances…surprised by the number of decisions though…did you apply ED on all of them? D had 2 ED’s last year,but waited for RD on another,and that came in March…where are you thinking of attending?</p>

<p>Like most programs, the difficulty of acceptance into nursing programs varies with the school.</p>

<p>A student’s residence and background will be important. In addition, the time of application may be a factor. </p>

<p>I am interested in what programs you looked at as well.</p>

<p>It may be helpful to future nursing applicants for you to post your stats and schools in order to allay some fears of rejection…:confused:</p>

<p>It appears that many marginal students apply for BSN programs when they might be better off applying for a practical nursing program. Tens of thousands are turned away from BSN programs every year. </p>

<p>Also, there are colleges out there that admit marginal students to BSN programs, and then force many of the them out of the program. I’ve read of a couple BSN programs where 75% of the students don’t graduate with a BSN. Drexel is famous for not letting students take the RN exam unless they think you have a very high chance of passing it. If you don’t pass their pre-exam, they don’t give you a degree. That is particularly unfair because many students pass the RN exam the second time.</p>

<p>I applied for BSN programs at University of Pennsylvania, Northeastern University, St. Anselm’s, UNH, BC, Catholic University of America, and Case Western.</p>

<p>I applied early decision to Penn, and got deferred. I was accepted on early action to Northeastern (Honors + $20,000/year merit), St Anselm’s (Honors + $14,000/year merit), UNH ($6,000/year merit), and Catholic University (Honors).
I’m still waiting to hear again from Penn (fingers crossed!), BC, and Case.</p>

<p>SAT: 2070 (I didn’t submit this, though: 700/630/740)
ACT: 32 composite (I forget what they were individually, but I remember I only had a 27 in Science).
GPA: 90/100 unweighted. (All Honors I (highest in my Catholic high school) with the exception of an Honors Geometry class and 4 AP’s, none of which were science-related)
My high school is sort of competitve…a number of ivy admissions each year, and there are around 200 or 250 students. I’m only in the top 15-20%, probably around #35 in my class.</p>

<p>I do a lot of volunteer work, but mostly focused on the hospital volunteer work that I started last year in patient care. I don’t have much to say about sports accomplishments, but did well at some science fairs and am really involved in music. I wrote my essay about being yourself…sort of typical but I wrote it about how I quit band in middle school because I was ridiculed.</p>

<p>I’m white from a suburb in Massachusetts. There is literally 0 diversity here.</p>

<p>I’m currently leaning towards Northeastern, but would still love to get into Penn.</p>

<p>adams, we really appreciate your sharing this with us. this is good information. thank you.</p>

<p>Hello all, just an update:
I’ve been admitted to Boston College and Case’s nursing schools.</p>

<p>What does a 90/100 GPA mean? On a 4.0 scale?
Did you use those SAT scores or did you just use the ACT?
Would you recommend the ACT?
I am also looking at many of those schools and yes, i am having those same fears.</p>

<p>In terms of percentage, I think 90 is about a 3.7</p>

<p>adamsx22, congratulations! If u dont mind my asking, did u get into penn? what does it seem like penn looks at most? and which school did u decide on?</p>