NYU Waitlist Class of 2026

yall I legit thought I had to respond to the waitlist today and sent it in it says I can re-submit do you guys think thats bad??

Thank you so much, this is so helpful!!! One last question – did any of the waitlisted kids get merit awards? I saw in their FAQ’s about waitlists that they can give waitlisted kids both need-based or merit awards, but I wanted to know if you actually heard of any merit awards being given to waitlisted kids. TIA!!!

Hi! I think maybe one or two got merit awards but a solid 90% of the kids accepted off the waitlist were given no aid whatsoever.

Also to the person who asked if resubmitting the waitlist form is bad— no. They just review the most recent form of the waitlist form you submit (or that’s what they did last year)

Kids started getting taken off the waitlist in mid and late April, from what I was reading on the waitlist 2025 board, so I guess it was from those who had submitted their forms right away?

1 Like

They don’t review the waitlist form as much as you’d think. Like, they don’t need it in order to take you off.

If you can get it in before the 1st, you should to be safe, but I distinctly remember them saying they didn’t review the forms till May, so it’s possible they had an idea of who they wanted to take off without reviewing the waitlist forms.

3 Likes

Can you share how you responded to the prompt?

2 Likes

any fellow waitlisted rory students?

1 Like

Waitlisted for CAS. Does anyone know how many people NYU placed on their waitlist for 2026?

2 Likes

me :confused:

Do you have any idea how many of us are waitlisted? I feel like we have like no chance of getting off the waitlist tbh. The acceptance rate for Rory is already low :smiling_face_with_tear:

I called admissions yesterday. They don’t publicize waitlist data unfortunately. She did say they do plan on utilizing the waitlist and will look after the beginning of May. I also noticed that they plan for a Freshman class size of 5700 compared to last year’s plan of 6700. If I had to guess they went lighter on admissions and heavier on weight list this year to accommodate an unpredictable yield and avoid being over-enrolled. I asked what the yield was last year vs their average & they said they do not publicize that data either. The bottom line is that anyone on a waitlist at any school should plan to commit to a school they have been accepted into. The odds of getting off a waitlist are low. So if you are still interested, submit what they ask from you and move on & get excited about the school you are committing to. It’s possible you will get off the waitlist & then you can decide if you want to change your plans last minute. BTW I have worked in a hospital for years and I can assure you that no one cares where you got your nursing degree - they only care that you do have a degree. To that point, especially when someone has an advanced degree - no one really cares where you got your undergraduate degree - just that you have one. Good luck and know that not getting into NYU is not the end of the world - this is just the beginning and you will be successful wherever you go!

10 Likes

thank you for the reply and the information. its nice to know that the undergraduate degree doesn’t matter as much as I thought and will be definitely take that into consideration when making my decision. thanks again!!

1 Like

Does anyone know how small the TISCH - waitlist is or if that even is a separate waitlist?

1 Like

how much are you guys writing for the expression of interest prompt?? i’m not sure if it’s better to write more or less.

is there like any way to have some idea as to why you were waitlisted

Thank you for your message. I checked Washington Square News. Last year NYU enrolled around 6500 students (NYU acceptance rate drops to 12.8% - Washington Square News). This year (2022), the school plans to enroll 5700 for NYC campus for the fall semester (NYU acceptance rate falls to 12.2% for 2022 admits - Washington Square News). My question is whether 5700 only includes fall enrollment and only for NYC campus or all three campuses? I note that quite a few schools have Spring enrollment. If the school decides to downsize its enrollment, it will be hard to get off the waitlist, especially compared to other years.

2 Likes

My guess is they want that 6500 number again & shot for 5700 in case their yield is high.I believe the numbers are for Fall admits only. Only guesses here as we can only know for sure what NYU publishes.

I wonder why they are only wanting 5700 students in their Freshman year class as opposed to last year’s 6500. What were the freshman year classes prior to last year? Seems like a big reduction.

From what I read the news, 5700 refers to the number of students enrolled at NYC campus in fall 2020, not including Spring number and students from other campuses (Shanghai and AD). 6500 however refers to total enrollment across three campuses, if I read correctly. I also checked common data set, it appears that NYU’s enrollment number is pretty stable for the past two years, ranging from 6600 to 6700.

hi guys, some questions:

1. besides filling out the waitlist form paragraph, are you guys gonna send in a LOCI also? or are you not going too since the waitlist form says to not send the admission committee anything.

2. how much/long are you gonna write on the waitlist form? will you be using bullet points to show your achievements?

3. volunteer events, acting credits done are acceptable as and update right?

thank u! good luck everyone