act 34 ss, 33 normal
a lot of ap classes
play piano since 3 years old
decent essay
good recs
university scholarship</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted</p>

<p>Date decision received: 1/31
Accepted at which school/major at Miami: School of Communications - Advertising Marketing major</p>

<p>Stats:
SAT Total: n/a
ACT: 30
SAT Subject Tests:
GPA - Unweighted on a 4 point scale - 3.75
AP/IB classes: Bio, english lit, english lang, environmental science, world, us history, gov
Essays: Excellent.
Teacher Recs: Excellent
Counselor Rec: Excellent
EC highlights: Varsity Soccer, Jazz, Combo, Wind Ensemble, Link Crew, Club Soccer, Lots of work experience</p>

<p>Location/Person:
State or Country: WA
School Type: Small, academically focused. IB school
Ethnicity: white
Other Factors, hook?: parents unemployed. </p>

<p>Any Other Information such as scholarships: nothing yet.</p>

<p>Decision: ACCEPTED</p>

<p>Date decision received: January 31
Accepted at which school/major at Miami: Undecided/College of Arts and Science</p>

<p>Stats:
SAT Total: 2260 M: 740, CR: 740, WR: 780,
SAT Subject Tests: Math II: 700, Literature: 700
GPA (weighted): 4.44
AP classes: US History II, English Lang, Econ, Stat, Calc BC, English Lit, French V, Physics C
Essays: strong
Teacher Recs: strong
Counselor Rec: strong
EC highlights: Varsity XC, Spring track, and winter track every season, XC captain senior year, Model UN club co-founder, environmental group member, NHS, youth group, job at local shop</p>

<p>Location/Person:
State or Country: NJ
School Type: Small, competitive, public
Ethnicity: white
Other Factors, hook?:</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted</p>

<p>School/Major?. College of Arts and Sciences</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT I: 2000 cumulative; 690 CR, 680 M, 630 W
SAT II: Literature 700
ACT: 28
Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 3.60
Rank (percentile if rank is unavailable): Top 13%
AP (place score in parenthesis): AP English (not taken yet), AP Environmental Science (not taken yet)
Senior Year Course Load: AP English, AP Environmental Science, Drama/Theater, Economics, Business Law, Human Physiology and Anatomy, Probability and Statistics, Calculus
Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): N/A
Essays: About being Welsh
Teacher Recommendation: Really awesome teachers that I am close with
Counselor Rec: Good
Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): S.A.D.D. (secretary), Students for Environmental Action, Yearbook, Basketball, Soccer, Lacrosse, Mentoring, Alcohol Education, Volunteering at local dentist office, and I work 20hr/week during school year, 40hr/week in the summer.</p>

<p>Other
State (if domestic applicant): MA
School Type: Public
Ethnicity: White

<p>Received the “Dickinson Scholarship”!</p>

<p>My son was accepted to of UM under Early Action and we were thrilled. BUt we did not receive notice of a scholarship when we opened the acceptance letter. We thought he would be eligible with:
GPA- uw, 3.9/ w, 4.1
ACT - 32
Loads of APs
Lots of extracuriculars, fine arts, theater, music, good recs, great essay.</p>

<p>Any ideas on why he wasn’t offered any scholarship money?</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>@Snoopy</p>

<p>I’d call up the Admissions Office and discuss with them their reasoning behind their decision. I did the same because I didn’t receive any scholarship money (4.29 w GPA, 1350 SATs)</p>

<p>Magics, what did admissions say when you called about scholarships?</p>

<p>They said that once a decision is made on scholarships, it can’t be changed. So, if one wasn’t awarded a scholarship, there is no possible to way to be reconsidered.</p>

<p>On my personal behalf, my admissions director told me that SAT’s and GPA were not the only main factors involved, but rather, the progression of academic history from 9th grade to 11th grade. My grades slumped downward following the first semester of 9th grade, even though I was taking all IB classes.</p>

<p>Decision: Rejected… guess I’m the first rejection on here, oh well. My Test scores are not very high :/</p>

<p>Stats:
SAT Total: 1850
SAT Subject Tests: US History 650, Literature: 680
GPA: 3.5W Cumulative (3.9W cumulative not including freshman year)
AP classes: AP Lit, AP Government, AP Art History
Essays: Excellent. Interesting, personal, topic.
Teacher Recs: strong
Counselor Rec: strong</p>

<p>EC Highlights:

• 200+ hours of service through church and school community service group
    -4 years as a member of my school’s community service club
    -4 years varsity softball
    -Activities director of school’s National French Honor Society chapter
    -Attend weekly in church youth group
    -Job at a well known clothing store (12 hours per week) since July
  • 4 years of community service as a camp counselor in the summers
  • 2 years of participation in Harvard Model Congress</p>

<p>Location/Person:
State or Country: CA
School Type: Small. Private prestigious college prep school. Very academically challenging.

<p>Hope this can help a potential junior applying next year to see how they stack up.
Congrats to all who were accepted though, I wish you guys luck!</p>

<p>Thanks Magics. We were hoping for scholarship so probably will look at different school options my son has received if there will not be a scholarship at U of M.</p>

<p>Has anyone had information about the Honors program in their packet? My daughter was accepted and received the Dean’s Scholarship. She had a 31 ACT but she goes to a private school that does not rank, so I was wondering if she would qualify.</p>

<p>My daughter was accepted; Dickinson scholarship; no word about honors program. My understanding is that they wait to see what the class looks like and offer to top 10% to 15%. Not sure when that happens. Her stats were:</p>

<p>ACT: 31
GPA: 3.58
Rigorous college prep private school; no rankings; tough to get into school
AP classes (not many offered): AP Spanish, AP English Lit
Essays: Strong
Teacher Recs: Strong
Tons of ECs including international service, 3 Day Susan Komen 60 mile walk, etc.
Applied to : Communications/Journalism (English ACT = 33)
West coast
White female</p>

<p>Hasn’t visited UM yet, but will in April. All the best to everyone.</p>

<p>I am a bit lost as to how I got no scholarship money whatsoever. 33 ACT, 90/100 gpa with 7 APs, solid essays and recs, well-rounded ECs. and it sounds a bit daunting that their scholarship decisions are incontestable</p>

<p>ACCEPTED!</p>

<p>School of Communications (Journalism) </p>

<p>act: 24
gpa: 3.98 (top 10%)</p>

<p>tons of EC (100+ service hours) volleyball manager, theater production, MAT, NHS officer, Senior Class Officer, SADD Leader, Minister of Hospitality, Student Ambassador, Pro-Life Club</p>

<p>7 APs total (4s on APUSH, Bio, Eng Lang)
Senior Year: Calc AB, Gov, Econ, Eng Lit</p>

<p>fantastic CA essay, counselor and teacher recs</p>

<p>white, male
private school in texas</p>

<p>no scholarship info in packet</p>

<p>My son was accepted and received the University Scholarship and is really happy!</p>

<p>Stats:
weighted GPA 4.4 in public school (does not rank)
4 AP classes Jr. yr, 3 AP classes Sr. yr.
ACT 33,
SAT 1450/2150 (superscore)
SAT II Math level II 800, US History 770
good ecs (sports, choir, drama)
good essays
I assume recs were good from counselors and teachers.</p>

<p>State: CO</p>

<p>He and we are really happy because he didn’t have time to decide on any one school for ED, applied to a few schools EA, was told by the guidance counselor two weeks ago that this was a tough year and that places he applied to RD that would have been OK for someone with his stats 2 years ago (NW, USC) were now reaches. </p>

<p>But my son was talking about the U to us back in the spring of his jr year and told me all about Donna Shalala even then. My husband and I did not pay much notice since we didn’t know much about the place, but now the U has our full attention!
He plans to visit in March or April to make sure it is a fit.
Good luck to all!</p>

<p>does anybody have news on international acceptance?? I’m from Canada and I do not know anybody here has gotten it yet</p>

<p>My son got accepted - received in NY mail 1/31/11 - School of Business</p>

<p>GPA: 99.878
Class Rank: top 5% out of about 500 students public school</p>

<p>SAT :
2050 (CR: 620 M: 770 W: 660)</p>

<p>AP: Physics-4, American History-3, Economics, Government & Calculus BC - senior year</p>

<p>Extracurricular Activities/Community Service:
Varsity Lacrosse (JV captain)-playing sport since 2nd grade
JV basketball 2 years (played church league 2-12th grade)
Volunteer Church youth group
Coach Youth Basketball
Team Leader Relay for Life cancer walk and other Comm. Service, etc.</p>

<p>Honors:
Scholar Athlete
Some AP award (?)
Essays: Awesome, unique and heartfelt
Teacher Recommendation: not sure
Counselor Rec: not sure

<p>Reflection: High GPA, decent SAT
Any Other Information such as scholarships:
Got the University Scholarship</p>

<p>@ alan - I’m international as well (England) and I just rang up just to check how everything would work. They told me that international students will start finding out as of next week (on myUM) and that they are just getting everything ready to post out (which could come with luck by the end of this week).</p>

<p>Kinda lame how there was no mention of this beforehand as I’m really sad now… Too much hype!</p>

<p>@Snoopy- We went down after we received “special invite” to discuss potential scholarships. They said they looked at SAT (CR/M-at least 1350)/ACT and then looked at strength of academic courses. Next was your GPA and EC/CS. If you were between 2 awards and you had a strong Writing score on SAT or outstanding recommendations that might be enough to push you to the higher award. I think it also helped that we went down there and my son interviewed with the admissions officer after applying before decisions.
Good luck to everyone else.</p>

<p>Posted by proud father of a new Miami Cane!!</p>

<p>Decision: Accepted
Date decision received in NY mail: 1/31/2011
Accepted to: Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science</p>

<p>Objective:
SAT Total: 2230 M: 760, CR: 760, WR: 710
ACT: 33 composite (English:31, Math:34, Reading:31, Science:35)
SAT Subject Tests: none taken
GPA-UW/W: 96.38 weighted
AP/IB classes: Bio(5), USHist(5), WorldHist(5) - currently taking: AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP English, SUPA Public Affairs, SUPA Economics, SUPA Forensics
Note: always took most difficult courses offered, either AP, Honors or SUPA </p>

<p>Subjective:
Essays: Doesn’t everyone think theirs is good?
Teacher Recs: didn’t see
Counselor Rec: didn’t see
EC highlights: Drama club, Choir and Select Choir, All county chorus, Instrumental music (1st clarinet), NHS, Science Olympiad, usual community service, Piano recitalist, Certified SCUBA diver (30+ dives: mostly ocean - hold advanced open water and several specialty certifications).</p>

<p>Location/Person:
State or Country: Upstate NY
School Type: Public
Other Factors, hook?: Most Distinguished Junior award, XEROX technology award. </p>

<p>Any Other Information such as scholarships: Received University ($24k) Scholarship</p>