OFFICIAL Early Action Thread (Purdue Class of 2014)

<p>Congrats on his acceptance to Purdue, RSquare!!! Ready to be a proud parent of a Boilermaker? :P</p>

<p>I know jimgotkp. My parents were dumbfounded. Never wanted 2 go to state even if I got in though. Will probably making the trip alone up to west lafayette next month for one more visit.</p>

<p>Virginiafan - the NCSU decisions are out? I thought they weren’t coming out until the 15th?</p>

<p>never mind - just checked and he was accepted.</p>

<p>Virginiafan if your planning on staying for a night in WL then I recommend you calling the Union Club Hotel which is in the Memorial Union and ask if they have any special rates for accepted students who came to visit. They may have a special rate since the hotel is university-owned. Would also try to recommend you visiting when classes are in session for the spring semester also. If you planning on grabbing a bite to eat you should get some Jimmy Johns since it MAY take over your life there. :P</p>

<p>Sorry Jimgotkp, if I may, I have been to WL many times (son of alum) and have stayed in the Union Club Hotel a few times, it is very nice. And if you do not want to stay in your room the entire night, just wonder around the Union, the basement with the sweet shop and all that was my favorite. You can shop in the little Purdue store and you can get pretty much any info you need on the university there. </p>

<p>Now as for the food, dont go to jj, they are everywhere, I think a stop to Triple XXX, or Bruno’s, a little more expensive, but probably the best pizza I have ever had. If none of that sounds good and you have a car (assuming you do) there is always Lafayette which has a ton of little unique places and it just few miles further. I got nothing against jj but I think there are more neat places to go.</p>

<p>Oh yeah I second the visiting during school time, I kind of regret making all of my visits inthe summer where you dont get the true feel of the university in action.</p>

<p>The Union does have a lot of stuff to do from the Rack N Roll to the stores but after an hour you will get bored most likely. I had my own experiences with this actually when I wandered around the PMU when I got accepted. The store in the PMU for Purdue apparel and all is OVER PRICED, Follett’s and University Bookstore will have sales during Day on Campus or whatever the new name is now. If you want average Purdue apparel that is cheap then go to Discount Den which is in Chauncey Mall right across from Chipotle and Chase Bank. It’s basically on the hill of State St. with Hot Box, Taco Bell, Basil, the new Five Guys Burgers & Fries, and University Spirit. </p>

<p>Why I recommended JJ is because from his username I figured he would be from the East Coast where there are barely any JJ’s. If he came on a visit I doubt he would want to use more money on food. If I was going to recommend good food thats a bit expensive I also would’ve recommended Bruno’s, Scotty’s, Lafayette Brewhouse, and Nine Irish Brothers which are all great restaurants in the area. I will admit, I did forget about Triple X but that is a great recommendation.</p>

<p>Thanks for the advice guys. I will remember the Union Hotel. Also Jim the funny thing is, that I love jimmyjohns. We have a few of them in North Carolina. I get it like once a week for a quick, delivery study dinner when I don’t have time to make something or go get something. I have visited Purdue once this summer but I really want to visit it when students are around (as due my parents, especially when it is cold so I can know what it is like to freeze my but off).</p>

<p>I wish I visited the campuses of the universities I applied to! Purdue’s campus sounds great.</p>

<p>My bad then, I guess you do have a JJ’s nearby which is really hard to find in the East Coast. But yeah it is nice to know how it’s like freezing your ass off if you plan on visiting during January especially. When you buy plane tickets don’t forget to put insurance on it if your flying in Jan. or Feb. especially! I had to sleep in the airport one time when I went to visit during my senior year cause of the weather, it was terrible and since I didn’t put insurance on it I barely go no help except a new ticket for the next day. If I put in insurance I would’ve been accommodated in a nearby hotel since I was also 17 at that time.</p>

<p>Yeah Jim that stuff is way overpriced, when I go its just to look at the stuff, but you are correct about the chauncey mall or w/e. I think I even have a shirt from there. I think I like folletts the best.</p>

<p>PS Triple XXX - One of the best burgers and rootbeer I have ever had!</p>

<p>What do you think about visiting over the Martin Luther King holiday? I know Purdue does not have classes but students will still be around right?</p>

<p>I think it sounds good. However you gotta think some of the instate students would go home. But I still think you would get a good feel.</p>

<p>The Root Beer is without a doubt one of the best. You should try Lafayette Brewhouse whenever you have time which is across the river. It isn’t that far from campus since there is a pedestrian bridge next to Border’s and the movie theater. They have great root beer too which they make fresh a long with their own beers which you have to wait till your 21 :frowning: </p>

<p>I think MLK weekend is fine but a good number of students leave to Indy or Chicago with their friends. There are still students around but won’t really be doing stuff around campus. Expect to see people walking around hungover like crazy in the mornings haha. The worst time for parents to visit the campus is the weekend of Halloween in the morning lol</p>

<p>ahahahahhahahaha, That made me laugh!</p>

<p>I was thinking of setting up a visit for my son over MLK day, too. There should at least be some students around.</p>

<p>Kind of random but I this thread made me want to order Jimmy Johns…so I did. The End.</p>

<p>lol! 10 char</p>

<p>any filght from NYC to Purdue and UIUC? Need to take a flight to Chicago?</p>

<p>Non-Stop is expensive from EWR to IND. I would recommend going LGA to IND and taking the Lafayette Limo to Purdue. Drops you off at either the PMU’s Union Club Hotel, Purdue West which is across from McCutcheon, or some times infront of Ford. If you plan on flying to ORD then they have a shuttle bus too, forgot the name of it but it’s a longer bus ride since Chicago is further from WL than Indy. The bus is however a bit better and has a tv with a DVD player and they always play a movie on it so that’s a positive. Lafayette Limo’s shuttle bus is pretty lousy when it’s really crowded since theres no leg space or seat space. LGA-ORD would prob be the cheaper one compared to LGA-IND or EWR-IND. Not sure about UIUC. If you visit UIUC first then fly to ORD and take a bus to campus then take a train or bus back to Chitown and then take Amtrak down to Lafayette and walk it or take a taxi to campus since it’s not that far but quite a hike since you have to go up hill.</p>