***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

@hebegebe - @goldenrock posted a list earlier if you go through the thread.

Edit - Sorry, his compilation was for interviews.

I found this in last year’s thread.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19802186/#Comment_19802186

@iwannahelp, if you can, I would try to read the actual journal article for yourself rather than go off of the summarizing by the AMA. I don’t have that article for Northwestern but here is one from Brown PLME in which the conclusions that are drawn from the article don’t really match the actual data collected in the journal article.

http://www.browndailyherald.com/2015/10/13/plme-students-reach-similar-outcomes-as-peers/

Someone cited the data (Premed '14) from the paper in the comments section: http://journals.lww.com/academicmedicine/Citation/2016/03000/The_Association_Between_Premedical_Curricular_and.36.aspx, showing that when looking at the actual data collected, traditional students actually did BETTER than PLMEs on Year 1-2 exams, USMLE Step 1, shelf exams, and USMLE Step 2 CK, all with a p < 0.001 (meaning there’s less than 1 in a 1000 chance of that result being incorrect, based on observed error).

@texaspg,

Thanks for the link. I didn’t remember seeing it this year.

@hebegebe, you can go here to this link: [url=<a href=“http://pdfs.journals.lww.com/academicmedicine/2012/11000/The_Scope_and_Variety_of_Combined_Baccalaureate_MD.48.pdf?token=method%7CExpireAbsolute;source%7CJournals;ttl%7C1471632037084;payload%7CmY8D3u1TCCsNvP5E421JYK6N6XICDamxByyYpaNzk7FKjTaa1Yz22MivkHZqjGP4kdS2v0J76WGAnHACH69s21Csk0OpQi3YbjEMdSoz2UhVybFqQxA7lKwSUlA502zQZr96TQRwhVlocEp/sJ586aVbcBFlltKNKo+tbuMfL73hiPqJliudqs17cHeLcLbV/CqjlP3IO0jGHlHQtJWcICDdAyGJMnpi6RlbEJaRheGeh5z5uvqz3FLHgPKVXJzd++Xw1xrBvVGm3URNugOVtdD1lEJl5bkX3rS6oP5PYOQDkJ1lhUGsa/M2nUcu8yeJ;hash%7C4Ro3mZxubuT8CgHlC/+3tw==%5DLink%5B/url”>http://pdfs.journals.lww.com/academicmedicine/2012/11000/The_Scope_and_Variety_of_Combined_Baccalaureate_MD.48.pdf?token=method|ExpireAbsolute;source|Journals;ttl|1471632037084;payload|mY8D3u1TCCsNvP5E421JYK6N6XICDamxByyYpaNzk7FKjTaa1Yz22MivkHZqjGP4kdS2v0J76WGAnHACH69s21Csk0OpQi3YbjEMdSoz2UhVybFqQxA7lKwSUlA502zQZr96TQRwhVlocEp/sJ586aVbcBFlltKNKo+tbuMfL73hiPqJliudqs17cHeLcLbV/CqjlP3IO0jGHlHQtJWcICDdAyGJMnpi6RlbEJaRheGeh5z5uvqz3FLHgPKVXJzd++Xw1xrBvVGm3URNugOVtdD1lEJl5bkX3rS6oP5PYOQDkJ1lhUGsa/M2nUcu8yeJ;hash|4Ro3mZxubuT8CgHlC/+3tw==]Link[/url], go to pages 7-9 and look under the “Seats Available” column. This data was collected in 2011, but it will at least give you a ballpark figure.

Can someone please shed some light on CSS profile? Is this needed for merit aid? Is there any advantage to sending this to the schools?

Thank you, @Roentgen.

Does anyone know approximately how many applicants are accepted into Drexel’s direct medical program?

@chocolatina1001, see my post here: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19883326/#Comment_19883326 (click on Link, click on “Article as PDF”) about 27-45 people.

Hi, do you mind if i ask what your D did instead of shadowing and internships? I am from the bay area as well and im having an incredibly hard time trying to figure out where to volunteer and shadow

@Roentgen Thank you!

In Temple University’s FAQs under the question “Does this program guarantee entry to Temple University Lewis Katz School of Medicine (LKSOM)?”, the response is “The Pre-Med Health Scholar Program provides provisional, not guaranteed, acceptance to LKSOM. Accepted health scholars must still maintain their academic profile, take the MCAT exam, and submit a special application to the medical school during their Junior year of college.” Does the special application mean that even if the GPA and MCAT requirements are met, there is still no guarantee for getting into the medical school?

Getting decent hospital volunteering opportunities in CA is very difficult due to age and liability issues.

@chocolatina1001, so I would try to find out from current students (if you get an interview) how often it is that someone meets the GPA and MCAT requirements and still not be given admission to Temple (now Lewis Katz). I imagine it doesn’t happen very often unless there are huge “professionalism” type of issues. This program seems similar in nature to the SLU Med Scholars program. In many ways all combined programs are provisional acceptances, you don’t meet a set of criteria, your acceptance to the med school is effectively nullified. You don’t get to just float your way thru the undergrad and make it to the med school, regardless of academic performance.

@Roentgen Does this program really seem similar to SLU? I thought SLU had more stringent requirements like interview etc where you’re basically applying to medical school again.

@chocolatina1001, I meant more in terms of having a required GPA, taking the MCAT, filling out an AMCAS special application as a formality, volunteer exposure, etc. not in terms of the actual specific criteria between the two programs being similar.

@Roentgen Thank you! I agree it would be wise to apply and if you get the interview then inquire more into the requirements.

@chocolatina1001 Here is my take on your question and follow up. As @Roentgen responded many programs are guaranteed as long as maintain the stipulated GPA and MCAT score (and mostly it is on or above the previous year averages). At the same time, I will not equate SLU on the same equation like Temple or OU etc. Because SLU, there is a big uncertainty of interview. But Temple and OU, there is no interview, that is a big difference. Most of the students who are applying BS/MD are above average students and maintaining the GPA or MCAT is absolutely doable as long as they have the reasonable study habits and maintain the tempo.

Interestingly, just came back after 5 days of attending OU orientation and happen to meet in person the OU Medical college admission director. Here is my interpretation of the special application. It means there will be mention or some thing to indicate you are part of the special program for OU or Temple. The app is same as generic AAMC (whatever the abbreviation) app. But you need to indicate that you coming thru the special process (and hence there will NOT be interview for your MD app for OU). That is what the special application resulting in. She clearly told, since you are already interviewed by OU MD chair, there is no need for another interview after 3 or 4 years.

One interesting point she made (which was not explicit in any of the OU material). She told, even in case if the student did not meet either GPA or MCAT, students can still apply and the only difference now is student need to appear for OU MD interview and may or may not get selected (similar to the regular MD app). Obviously, it does not make any sense if the student does not strive to maintain and avoid the interview. For example, for this year MCAT score was 492. But she cautioned to wait for 2 more years since this year some students wrote old MCAT and some new MCAT and hence the numbers may not represent the whole picture.

@GoldenRock Thank you for the clarification!

Hi! My son is a senior this year. He has a cumulative GPA of 3.91 thus far and has earned a 2400 in the old SAT, 800 in SAT-Math II and 800 in SAT-Molecular Biology. He has earned 5s in AP Bio, AP Calculus AB, AP English Lang & Composition, AP US History & AP world History in his junior year. He took the two-week surgical anatomy course at Stanford last summer, volunteered with Projects Abroad for 4 weeks this past summer, and volunteered for a local doctor upon his return home.
My concern is this: He has not taken any course in physics- not even a regular on. He had taken Bio honors, Chem honors, AP Bio, and AP Chem (the last as a senior). Colleges like NWU’s, Feinberg require one year of physics. Does this mean he would not qualify for BS MD colleges, or should he apply despite this? Does anyone know of BS MD programs that will be OK with the lack of physics?

@goldenrock - are you sure about 492? That seems to be only 14 points out of 56?

I was talking to some of the kids in Houston to UTHouston and Baylor programs. They were mentioning needing 7 points in each section at a minimum.