***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

@LotR98 The only and best option is to go to each and every program web site which is of interest to you and review the requirements (rather than relying up on any one) and compile which programs do not have physics requirement.

Can your son register for physics for this year, even now? Is there any schedule conflict prevented him?

Though it is not relevant to your question, just FYI to any parents planning to apply to any medical colleges in India. Per MCI (medical college council of India), the requirement for applying to medical college, 1 year of Physics, Chemistry and Biology in high school in year 11 and 12 (I know a student whose application was rejected since he did his chem in year 10).

@texaspg Thought she mentioned 492. I did not discuss much about that at all since for OU, the req is the score needs to be on or above the previous year average. Every year it increases by some amount so, for my D, another 3 or 4 years and hence I told her to target for old 35 (I have not spent time to understand the new score process yet). The OU average for 2014 was old 31 or so. She gave a page for 2016 students stat which my D has. Will post later if I could get a copy of it.

@goldenrock - 31 seems like good number. It translates to something like 511 on the new scale which is a lot higher threshold.

35 is much much steeper btw. We are now getting to scores that are very competitve for schools in the top 30.

Hello everyone,

I want to apply to some BS/MD programs this fall and would like your opinions on which med programs I am qualified enough for. Thanks in advance!

Here are my stats:

Asian Male

SAT (Superscore): 2230 (CR-670, M-770, W-790 Essay:10)
SAT II: 800 Math II, 750 Biology E, taking Chem in Oct.
ACT: 32 (Math:33, Reading: 28, Science: 35, English: 32) - Retaking in Sept.
(Will low test scores hurt my chances?)

NC GPA (Unweighted) - 3.96
NC GPA (Weighted) - 5.125
Class Rank: 7/631
Attend Top Public School in NC
Student in North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics Online Program
Taking courses offered nowhere else in the country, which include Honors Medicinal Chemistry and Honors Bioinformatics

AP (7 AP’s taken):
Biology (4)
Calculus BC (5)
Statistics (4)
Human Geography (5)
US History (4)

Senior Year Courses:
AP Computer Science A
AP Physics II
AP US Government and Politics
AP Psychology
Calculus III (at NC State)
Honors Anatomy and Physiology

NCSSM Courses (Semester-Long Courses):
Honors Bioinformatics (Taken)
Honors Computational Chemistry
Honors Medicinal Chemistry

Major Awards: Winner of Genentech Emperor Science Award in Cancer Research, President’s Volunteer Service Award recipient, Selected and Completed NC Governor’s School in Mathematics, Junior Marshal (Top 35 Class Rank), Research Paper passed first set of edits for Harvard’s Journal of Emerging Investigators (should get accepted & published)

Extracurriculars:
Varsity Men’s Tennis Player (9-12)
Research Lab Assistant at UNC and Duke (11-12)
Key Club (9-12) / Executive Board Member (10-11)
Science Olympiad (9-12) / President (11-12)
National Technical and Spanish Honor Societies (11-12)
Quiz Bowl Team 9-12) / Co-Captain (10-12)
Tutoring Club (9-12) / President (10-12)
NC School of Science and Mathematics Ambassador (11-12)
NC School of Science and Mathematics SIDE Leader: Create and teach enrichments to K-12 students across NC (11-12)
UNC Hospitals Volunteer (11-12) 200+ Hours
Red Cross Volunteer (9-12) 50+ Hours

Teacher/Counselor Recommendations will be very good, as I know my them very well and interact with them daily.

@chocolatina1001

Here are the latest published stats/seats for the Drexel combined programs:

(tot. no. of applicants/interviewed/matriculated)

Drexel/Drexel: 1938/110/29
Lehigh/Drexel: 464/19/4
Villanova/Drexel: 184/45/9

Good luck!

Does the Villanova/Drexel program still exist?

I’m applying to UCONN special program in medicine and was looking at their supplemental essay questions. There seems to be no word limit stated. Does anybody who’s applied before, know about a word limit or if there is recommended length for each one?

I was also wondering for the second essay, where they ask for your interest and hobbies outside of the health sciences would it be cheesy to say volunteering or are they looking for something like actual hobbies (running, cooking, reading etc.)? I know one of my biggest hobbies is baking but I don’t see how that would relate to my interest in their medicine program so

FYI, last year we happened to be at a college fair where the head of admissions at Case was present (I didn’t know who he was at the time but he gave us his card). When my ds mentioned PPSP he told my ds to make sure he had “clinical experience”. He said they don’t even consider applications without clinical experience.

For UConn, all the essays have a 600 word limit.

Anyone has any information on UMiami BS/MD program? The website still says under review.

@chick5, this is the supplemental application from last year: http://www6.miami.edu/marcom/dualdegree/medicine_Supplemental_App.pdf

It seems to have disappeared from their new Dual-Degree program page:
http://admissions.miami.edu/undergraduate/academics/programs-of-distinction/dual-degree-program/index.html, although there is still this page: http://admissions.miami.edu/undergraduate/academics/programs-of-distinction/dual-degree-program/dual-degree-program-in-medicine/index.html.

I would call over to undergraduate admissions, at the bottom of their webpage, 305-284-4323, to confirm that the Dual-Degree Program in Medicine (formerly called Honors Program in Medical Education) still exists.

Thank you @Roentgen

Has anyone been able to call Miami and confirm the Dual-Degree Program in Medicine still exists? I called today and it went to message, but I will try again Tuesday. Just wondering if anyone had already heard back from them.

I was wondering
 Some programs have multiple colleges linked to the medical school. Is it possible to apply to all of those colleges that have the same linkage? For example, Drexel has links with Lehigh and Villanova. Can I apply to both Lehigh and Villanova to increase my chances of getting into Drexel’s BS.MD program?

@cheezyspartan - As long as you qualify to apply for each of the programs, there is no limit to how many you can apply to leading to the same medical school.

@cheezyspartan Not only each feeder college/program may have their own requirements, the app process and fees also will vary. For Drexel, there is only 1 fee ($150) irrespective of how many feeder colleges you applied. But AMC, for each feeder college and if get invited to apply to AMC, there is a $115 per college fees to apply.

I called Miami today. The admissions person said that the program details will be posted around the middle of September. The program exists but the structure of the program is changing. Don’t know what that means.

@chick5, I wonder if they’ll be increasing the undergraduate portion to the full 4 years as their traditional med student applicants usually come in with. Miami HPME (now Dual-Degree) was a 6 year program, then they increased it to 7 years, so it wouldn’t surprise me now if they just tack on one year so that students have a greater offering of courses and majors available and come in with the same number of years/experience as their traditional applicants. Don’t know the curriculum of how it is now, but it’s also possible that they’ll incorporate more hospital/medicine/patient care type exposure in the undergraduate years of the combined program (if it wasn’t already there), similar to UMKC’s curriculum and UT-PACT (when it still existed).

@cheezyspartan, just an FYI, the Villanova-Drexel Med combined program no longer exists: http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19854777/#Comment_19854777

Hey guys,

So I am extremely excited about the ongoing/upcoming application process and I am 100% set about my decision to go this route into a career in medicine. I’ve had so many conversations with the right people, and I know I can make such a big impact wherever I go. I was just wondering if you could tell me my chances of getting into REMS (Rochester Early Medical Scholars) and other BS/MD Programs, and what else I need to do before that December 1st deadline.

Some of these stats will be INCLUDE SENIOR YEAR*
SAT: 800 M, 800 W, 760 CR (2360)
PSAT: 1460/1520
ACT: 34
SAT Biology: 780
SAT Math: 800
SAT Spanish: 780
SAT Chemistry: Taking in October

By end of first semester Senior year, 5.15 Weighted GPA, 3.998 Unweighted GPA

APs: AP Spanish Language (5), AP US History (5), AP English Literature 5, AP Spanish Literature 4, AP Biology 5, AP Physics I 5, AP Physics II, AP Chemistry II, AP Psychology, AP Government, AP Statistics, AP Calculus BC

Other notable Courses: Honors Organic Chemistry, Honors Anatomy/Physiology, Honors Genetics, Honors Biodiversity, Honors Medical Problem Solving, Honors Spanish 6 (school had to make a new class for me AND I’m not a native speaker)
Brown University Pre-Med Summer Program (3 weeks summer 2014)
Johns Hopkins CTY Advanced Spanish Online Course (8 weeks summer 2014)

2 years Junior Varsity Basketball, Captain Sophomore Year
1 year Varsity Basketball
1 year Varsity Track/Field. Varsity Cross Country

4 years of Symphonic, Concert, and Pep Band (the only person who plays the Euphonium)

1 year of debate (2014): Novice Policy Semifinalist at Notre Dame Tournament, Novice Policy Semifinalist at USC Tournament, 1st place in 2 local high school tournaments in Novice Policy Debate

National Honor Society President-Elect (2015-2016), President (2016-2017) - organize around 12 service opportunities per year for the entire group

Health Occupations Students of America Chapter President and Founder (2014-15), HOSA Bowl State Semi-finalist out of 18 teams (2015)

School’s STEM Program Co-Founder, VP in 2014-15, and President (2016, 2017) (consists of 5 science clubs- Engineering, Medical, Ecology, Astronomy, Competitive Events), nearly half of student body, does more activities than the next 3 most active clubs combined, as it is an extension of the school’s education is heavily backed and funded by the school administration)
Student Congress Member- distributes school funds to clubs

Science Bowl Regional 3rd Place out of 32 teams (2015)/Captain (2 years)

Hospital Volunteering: Promoted to Designated Team Lead (actually train other volunteers), since 2013, 750 hours
Lou Ruvo Cleveland Clinic Center of Brain Health: 100 Hours
Autism Clinic: 75 Hours
Recycling Club Member: 20 hrs/yr for 3 years

Significant Shadowing Experience: 11 doctors, 3 days minimum each
University Research Intern, 10 weeks in Biochemistry Lab with 3 undergraduate students (2016), using novel Platinum compounds to induce cell apoptosis (programmed cell death) in breast cancer and prostate cancer cell lines

Bausch and Lomb Outstanding Junior in Science- $40,000 scholarship to the University of Rochester upon acceptance; given to the top science student in the junior class, as selected by faculty
Sophomore Class Student of the Year (2015)
National Spanish Exam: Gold in Levels 3, 4, and 5 and First place in the State all 3 years, First student in state to take level 6 next year
National Merit Semifinalist

National Spanish Honor Society (2 years)
Cum Laude Society (Top 6 students in the grade) (2 years)
Likely Valedictorian (only 1 student)