***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

Thank you @rsmith0208 ! We don’t know much about CNU and there is not much information so far. We didn’t know it is not yet accredited, this is very helpful. Thank you!

@rsmith0208 it is accredited by WASC and the med school is on step 3/5 for LCME. Has there been a med school that has gotten to step 3/5 and not become accredited in the US? i can’t find any

I have been trying to read up on the accreditation. It looks like a school can complete the LCME accreditation only after they graduate their first batch of doctors, and thus the pending LCME accreditation seems to be a normal status for a medical college that just started. I did come across the Florida Dade medical college history - a reality to be aware of when it comes to for-profit colleges in general.

@Mom22DDs if CNU didn’t receive full accreditation for some reason they told me that they already have partnerships set up to send all of their medical students to other accredited medical schools in the US

@bsmd02017, so that’s not exactly true. If a U.S. medical school were to lose accreditation thru the LCME, it’s not automatic that you’d be able to get a spot at another LCME approved medical school. There was a recent case like that with the San Juan Bautista medical school LCME accreditation story, that I won’t go into here, but even that requires that the host medical school have space in their med school class, etc. It’s in no way a guarantee. Med school transfers by themselves are so restrictive even w/o the accreditation reason.

Here is my analysis of the program:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/19139605#Comment_19139605

Thank you @Roentgen ! We are in California and thus exploring CNU for having DD nearby at the only BSMD program within the state. Everything else she has applied to is OOS and quite far. The decision is hers, and from what I understand, quality of education, not distance, will be the main factor. I’ll read up on the program and also lookup the case of San Juan Bautista so we can be aware of the risks.

@bunny101 , Thanks

Thank you @bsmd2017 ! Are you going to be at CNU on Jan 21? We are planning to be there.

@Mom22DDs - what is on Jan 21 at CNU ? Anything special ? Thanks

@Mom22DDs,

No, I completely understand. It sucks for California residents since both the Bachelor/MD programs at UCSD and USC-Keck have been phased out, leaving none left in California until CNU’s just popped up . Just looking at your daughter’s standardized test score stats and her CV, I honestly think she would even do just as well if she decided to go to a 4 year traditional undergrad that she loves, close to home, and took the MCAT. You could give me 4 years to study for the ACT and I still don’t think I could get a perfect score. Just something to keep in mind so that in May when you all are seated at the table and going thru your options, your daughter doesn’t feel like she’s compelled to take a Bachelor/MD acceptance even if she feels like she’s compromising way too much, or esp. if she is the type to get more homesick (to be fair, every kid starts out saying they will never get homesick, and inevitably they do, lol).

@ILDocter I have the same question–I’m confused, haha.

Thank you @Roentgen ! We are not banking strongly on our DD getting into BSMD due to her GPA. She had an injury that took her out for a whole semester, giving her a string of B’s that semester. We’re not sure if schools would look past that, though she’s been a straight A student since. If she’s not going to a BSMD program, she is still going to pursue MD path, and for BS, we (more than her) would like her to stay in-state.

@BSMD2017 - we signed up for the CNU open house online at californianorthstateuniversity dot formstack dot com slash forms slash openhouse_registration - please let us know if you’re going to be attending too.

@Mom22DDs, most likely, Bachelor/MD programs will look at the cumulative GPA overall and her class rank on her transcript (if your school does class rank or gives the decile/quartile/etc. your daughter falls in), and not overly focus on a particular semester. They will look at that, in combination with rigor, in terms of coursework, in their high school curriculum. Best of luck to her!

Thank you @Roentgen !

Hey Guys, so CNU said that they would release my decision after sending in transcripts. Do you know if they had already announced that all the slots were now officially full?

Hello all, did anyone apply Baylor? Their Medical track application essay is “Why do you want to pursue your career in medicine at Baylor University and Baylor College of Medicine?” Does this mean you write more about why you want to do medicine in Baylor Medical School or why you are interested in Medicine typical to other schools. My DS is applying and he is confused about where to focus his essay. Any advice is greatly appreciated

I think you should first answer why you want to pursue medicine and then answer why you want to pursue medicine at Baylor.

@AllenTx15 - this is not a why doc question but more about why those two specific schools. So you need to talk about both Byalor undergraduate and Baylor medical school. They want you know you actually reviewed the program instead of just applying. Is there a why you want to be a doctor essay prompt?

Agree with @srk2017. This seems to be a why Baylor question.

Thanks @bpc2017, @srk2017, @MedSciBud . Yes it does look more like Why Baylor. I am thinking it may be safer to go with why medicine and how Baylor program satisfies his needs…50% each.

The BS MD application process looks so complex… I feel bad for kids. Each one of these programs have different Reco needs, how you mail them and the multiple essays they have to write. Teachers and counselors frown on giving too many custom reco’s and transcript requests. I wish there was simpler process