***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

@AllenTx15 - I hear you and am going through the same issues now. I chose very few non-Common App applications to avoid the teacher / counselor frustration (though they have been very nice to all requests).

On another note - if the process was simple - perhaps the competition will be much much heavier?

@AllenTx15, D just submitted one last night and she was contemplating the exact same thing. She ended up also did a 50/50. Well, it was about 2/3 in why medicine and 1/3 in why the program. Since there was no other essays asking for why medicine, she thought working it in to the “why program” essay would be best. I agree with you totally about how complex and confusing the BSMD application process is. I am worn out just watching her.

Are there any programs left with due dates after 12/1?
D was going to submit for Penn State BSMD. After looking at the details this weekend, it looks like they need all materials arrive by 11/30. Is that correct? Since they are not on Common Application, we thought there is no way D can meet the deadline. Please share your experience.

@4beardolls . Rice’s MSP is due 12/1. My S got invite for Northwestern and UPitt GAP. GAP is due next week. There is time for Northwestern. We are from Texas and applying to only 6 or 7 BSMD programs. We dropped Penn/Jefferson due to cost. Penn clearly says they don’t give any scholarships to BSMD students. But its a very good program.

@AllenTx15 - Yes, BS/MD process complex and drawn out process. DS is also applying for 6 programs because of that.

@AllenTx15 Thanks for your comment about Penn/Jefferson. I have been kicking myself all weekend for DD cutting the deadline so close and now just have to forgo it. If they will not give scholarship to BS portion then that is expensive program. I do feel a little better now for DD letting that one go.

@DS also decided not to apply to Penn/Jefferson. He felt it’s too expensive given their rankings.

@AllenTx15 Thanks for information about Rice and NU but I think DD’s ACT34 might be too low for those two programs. DD applied to Pitt.

Any other mid or lower programs that have deadline 12/1 or later?

Fortunately we live in Texas that has requirement to take 80% instate students. That’s why we decided unless its a good program like Northwestern or Brown PLME, its not worth it. If he does not make it through BSMD he can always try regular route. The reason we were interested in BSMD is to avoid uncertainity and not having the stress of application process again.

My DS got notification for Full Tution at U Pitt. Not sure if it includes room and boarding expenses. It will be a great if he can get into their GAP program, but its a very competitive. Keeping no expectations for now. Just going through the motion of application process. Good Luck @srk2017 and @4beardolls

@AllenTx15 Congratulations to your DS full tuition at Pitt! That is wonderful!
We have not received any letter on merit scholarship.

Tx is a good state to be a resident for this process. :slight_smile:

Congratulations @AllenTx15 for Pitt for full-scholarship. I believe it doesn’t include room and board and Chancellors include that. We are still waiting on merit outcome. Our DS chose to apply to top tier programs and comfortable with going through regular route if needed. Only time will tell if that’s a good strategy or not :slight_smile:

Thanks. We just got notified last week. They may be in the process of sending out notifications. From what I understand, all GAP invitiees will be eligible for some sort of scholarship. There are so many bright kids, with limited number of seats in each program, it is very difficult to predict who can get in. I don’t think scores matter that much once you meet their minimum requirements.

Congratulation @AllenTx15. Can you please post your DS scores/Grades and date you have applied.

I think my son applied to Pitt in last week of October. He only took old SAT once and did not take new SAT.
SAT (M- 800, R - 800, W - 730 ), ACT - 36 and GPA 4.0 unweighted / National Merit Semifinalist
Subject Tests (M L2 -800, Chem - 800, Bio - 780)

@AllenTx15 Thank you. My Son applied in first week of October and has same credentials but did not get any scholarships. Did you do FAFSA?

@rsmith0208 No I have not done FAFSA. We got letter in regular mail from admissions office. My son said he did not get any notification in email. I was under the impression that most honors students get some sort of scholarships. Most probably mail got delayed due to holidays or they are sending it out in batches. There were three short essays required to be considered for scholarships. Did your son complete them? Most probably he did. Also may be he is nominated for chancellor/other scholarships. I am sure he will get mail soon. You may want to call admissions office and check on the status.

@AllenTx15 - I had Rice on my Common App, saying 1/1 was the deadline for RD. Thanks to you, I realized that the Rice Baylor application was due 12/1.
Question - the preferred method to submit MSP application (the PDF) is via portal. I submitted the Common App just now. When will I receive portal access?

@MedSciBud , that is a good question. I don’t think my son submitted his commonapp either. He got delayed with essays. I will remind him to submit soon. I am sure they would accept via email too. If you just submitted, you may get your portal access by 1st. Good Luck

@AllenTx15 - so I could have sent in the Rice Baylor MSP application without submitting the Rice Common App? I rushed to complete the Rice CA today because I read 12/1 was the MSP deadline!

@MedSciBud , My understanding is we do need to submit the common app by Dec 1st. Since you may not receive the portal ID by 1st you can email the MSP application.