***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

Thanks for the condolences everyone. But I’m just very disappointed because according to post 712 here, 74/80
OOS students get an interview for Baylor2. I thought that my essay was good, so the only thing that I think could’ve held me back is applying to both Baylor2 and Rice/Baylor? But the Baylor2 FAQ clearly states that a student can apply to both. I’ll just try to improve my application for HPME, which is the only BS/MD that I have left to apply to.

@Mom22DDs what does IMHO stand for?

@GoldenRock there aren’t any bsmd programs in Maryland, my home state, that I know of

@screenname2017 IMHO = in my honest opinion

@screenname2017 - how about neighboring state schools lIke VCU? I think PITT is stats heavy

@RochesterREMS Baylor and Rice are extremely difficult to get into for 2 reasons:

1. With Baylor they only have 5 available seats
  2. They are preferential to Texas residents. So if your out of state resident you may have 1 or 2 seats available to you.
    Don’t beat yourself up over Baylor. Hopefully you stand a better chance with Northwestern but if you have time and you really want to pursue BSMD, apply to more programs. In many sense these elite programs are really a crapshoot because you may have a perfect academic record and be at the top of your HS class and think you stand a great chance but keep in mind there are other candidates out there with the same record competing for the same limited amount of seats. Moreover honestly none of us know how these reviewers split hairs when the select who to invite for an interview.

@screenname2017 Congratulations! you have definitely shown consistency and commitment towards your future goal. Honestly, the chances for you are similar to those with everything near perfect. It is the usual coin toss probability. So, stay optimistic and apply to more programs if isn’t past the deadline. Time permitting you should definitely apply to VCU because their emphasis is clinical exposure which is your strength.
FYI- as per my observation, hence a very personal opinion- I think low tiered schools are score/stats focused. Mid tiered have specific emphasis like research, community service or clinical exposure. Last but never the least top tiered are more holistic in their selection approach. So, my advice to all applicants is- if you still have time, diversify and apply to all the 3 tiers if you really are committed to getting into a BS/MD program.

@RochesterREMS & @screenname2017 You are all wonderful and amazing kids and be proud of what you have done so far and continue to do. But in real world, lot of times you never know who and what happens in this competitive BS/MD program. So if at all possible, depending on your financial situations and many other factors, apply to few more if possible. VCU, Stony Brook, Hofstra, OU, Tulsa may have still dead line open (I may be wrong since I don’t remember the exact dates) and you may loose some aid in some situations (Hofstra with the current dates) etc.,
See what is possible. Don’t rely only on x or y and assume you have a very good chance. GL

VCU deadline was Nov 15’th

screenname2017 “In My Humble Opinion” =IMHO

@Green-tree. Hofstra BA/MD is a relatively new program, but from what I heard of it, it’s not bad and building a good name for itself. Their medical school is with the Northwell School of Medicine which opened in 2010. Northwell was previously called the North Shore/LIJ Health System which is a long standing, huge Healthcare Network servicing Long Island and part of New York City. The hospital system has a excellent name in the greater NY area. Hofstra has advantages in that the campus is only about 30 minutes outside Manhatten so for those who are from out of state this could be attractive. As far as residency matching goes I am not sure if the program has been around long enough to develop accurate statistics to other more established schools.

My DD has an admission to CNU, which is an in-state college for us. We are aware of the concerns around CNU around accreditation, and are trying to educate ourselves more about it. CNU being for-profit is in itself not a concern, but there is concern around clerkship options and stability. Given the uncertainty of getting into medical college, and DD’s resolve to get into medicine, she’s evaluating CNU’s 2+4 option thoroughly. Would folks here know if residency options have state-affinity? i.e., if DD did get good grades and did well in USMLE and MCAT, would she stand a higher chance of getting into residencies in California because her medical school is in California?

@mom22dds Suggest you post in http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/ There are few folks who are very active and knowledgeable and you may get response.

Interesting this year many folks have applied and so active about CNU. Last year though we came to know, no one cared about it. Just wait until April and take a very hard look before you consider CNU.

@empire007 On reading the last 2 posts, with out blinking (and not knowing anything about medical profession), would say Hosfstra will have much better chance for residency than CNU. Hosftra management is more experienced than CNU management (don’t ask me why?) Hofstra also gave a very decent aid for accepted students.

@RochesterREMS & @screenname2017 & Others: Based on old notes and based on last year data, there are still few schools whose dates are still open. But many in this list, in order to apply for BS/MD program, you should have applied or accepted for UG. Also dates may be different this year and you need to check it. Still there are some good schools and mid tiers schools. Since one of you in Maryland, Temple, Howard, Stonybrook are not far off.

NU, Brown, Wash, UAB, Stony Brook, Temple, OU, Tulsa, Howard, Rosemont/Drexel,

@thetop Unfortunately no one kept track of till what dates RPI/Union/Sienna & AMC sent the invite to apply for supplemental app. But we know for sure, these 3 are long elongated process. So don’t give up and you may get the invite to apply. Sorry not much of help to your question.

@screenname2017 On reading your post again, I am sure you may be already familiar and would have thought about it. Understand it is too early in life to decide about major commitments like pursuing career in medicine or military services etc. But if you are so sure about both, isn’t is better to go thru normal route and you can save tons of money, when it is free in that path?

@RochesterREMS - DD had sent a request to Baylor for the November round and received email that she was not being considered for current round but will be considered later. We then realized we hadn’t submitted a required essay, and let it go. Did you get rejected at Baylor or deferred? With your stats, it’s hard to believe you got rejected, thus asking.

@GoldenRock - is military MD education free?

I am not expert. Yes, as long you comply with what ever requirements and fulfill the obligation. You start even your UG there and that also comes pretty much free. OP may know more since s/he did the internship and interacted with physicians there.

Just had UIC Honors College interview yesterday. Can someone explain to me how the GPPA process works? Is there an honors college interview and 2 GPPA interviews (if you are invited) or something completely different haha. Thanks!

@Mom22DDs

Yes.

There are 2 pathways for a military MD: HPSP and UHUHS

HPSP is the Health Professions Scholarship Program. Students apply for the program separately from applying to med school. Once an applicant is accepted to med school, they become eligible for the program. There are 2 year or 4 year scholarship. Up to $40K/year in tuition** is paid plus a salary based upon rank. Participants must meet all the physical and psychological requirements for military enlistment, are required to enter the Military Match for residency and have a service requirement upon completion of the residency.

** if med school tuition is above $40K/year, a student will need to take out additional federal loans.

UHUHS–Uniformed Services University for Health Sciences is the medical school run jointly by the 3 branches of the military. Students apply directly to the school thru AMCAS. Applicants must also interview with, qualify for and be accepted for enlistment in a branch of military service as part of the med school admission process. Tuition is free and a salary based upon military rank is paid during med school. Participants are required enter the Military Match for residency and will have a term of service upon completion of residency.