On campus Housing Fall 2012 - Rising Sophomores

<p>What are the prospects for rising sophomores to get on campus housing for Fall 2012 if they contract on time?</p>

<p>If they contract early their chances are good. </p>

<p>Last spring, some sophs who wanted on-campus housing were put on waiting lists, but in the end I think they all got housing. (Bama was probably unsure at first because it knew that this year’s frosh class was going to be bigger, so frosh housing needs were bigger).</p>

<p>That said, you may find that going off campus saves you money. My younger son is at The Retreat this year (pretty much all Bama students) and it’s cheaper and much better than campus housing…the place is like a resort!!!. and, there is Crimson Ride service.
[Tuscaloosa</a> Student Housing | The Retreat Clubhouse at Lake Tamaha](<a href=“http://www.retreatalabama.com/]Tuscaloosa”>http://www.retreatalabama.com/)</p>

<p>Also, to attract more students, The Bluff just opened more apts (these with 4 bedrooms), a pool and community room. Don’t know why the new pool/clubhouse isn’t shown on the site. Crimson Ride service as well.<br>
[The</a> Bluff at Waterworks Landing - Tuscaloosa, Alabama’s Luxury Apartments](<a href=“http://bluffatwaterworks.com/default.htm]The”>http://bluffatwaterworks.com/default.htm)</p>

<p>If they are interested in the Retreat or Bluff should they contract now? Is this refundable if S wants to live in fraternity or elsewhere.</p>

<p>If S is considered a sophomore now, will he be considered a rising junior for housing, or is it based upon years on campus. I’m concerned as a rising Jr. he might not get a dorm, or is advanced standing just for class selection?</p>

<p>Is the Retreat or Bluff a 12 months commitment? 10 month?</p>

<p>The Bluff is a 12 month commitment unless the student has a study abroad commitment or is graduating. </p>

<p>The Retreat is a 12 month commitment. The 12 month commitment is still cheaper or the same as 2 semesters in honors housing. We pay about $550 per month. </p>

<p>We signed son’s lease in January for the Retreat.</p>

<p>Wow, I looked at the links, pretty sweet. Particularly the washer/dryer and dishwasher. All of these are contracted with the management companies, right? Not UA? Both said cable/internet & maintenance are included. What does that leave? electricity, heat or a/c?</p>

<p>Can anyone comment on the general level of safety at these apartments and the surrounding area? After the recent homicide of a UA graduate student, that is of primary concern to this parent. Any other comparable safe alternatives?</p>

<p>These are in safe areas and are gated. </p>

<p>That homicide that you’re referring to was at 2am (not in a good area) and sounds like there was some kind of altercation before the killing between the victim and shooter…which can happen anywhere. Frankly, few places are 100% safe at 2am when those who will do bad things are roaming around.</p>

<p>*Wow, I looked at the links, pretty sweet. Particularly the washer/dryer and dishwasher. All of these are contracted with the management companies, right? Not UA? Both said cable/internet & maintenance are included. What does that leave? electricity, heat or a/c? *</p>

<p>Yes, having a w/d in every apt is very convenient!!! </p>

<p>The Bluff can be contracted thru Bama Housing and when you do it that way, it includes all utilities.</p>

<p>The Retreat is contracted thru The Retreat’s office and part of the rent goes to towards utilities. However, if the students use too much electricity, then they are billed for the excess which is divided by the number in the cottage. (The Retreat consists of cottages).</p>

<p>Good question MA Bama, inquiring minds would like to know.</p>

<p>The Bluff can also be rented by contacting the complex’s management company. Note that the rates and terms offered by the management company may be different from those offered by UA Housing and Residential Communities.</p>

<p>Most student apartment complexes aren’t going to be in posh residential neighborhoods as they have a relatively large footprint. Regardless of where one lives, one should always use common sense and try to avoid becoming a target for criminals. This may not always work, but will significantly reduce the risk of being the victim of both petty and violent crime.</p>

<p>Is pricing better through UA Housing or the management company?</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>You’d have to call the management office for their direct prices which will depend on the apt size. The Bluff now has 2 Br, 3Br and 4 Br apts. And, ask about utilities. </p>

<p>At The Bluff, I don’t know if you have to have your roommmate(s) picked out if you go privately and how that is all handled lease-wise. If you go thru the school, you’re only responsible for yourself and you don’t have to have a chosen roomie. </p>

<p>At the Retreat, you’re only responsible for leasing your own room, and you don’t have to have your roommates picked out.</p>

<p>Regardless of where one lives, one should always use common sense and try to avoid becoming a target for criminals. </p>

<p>Exactly…being out and about in the middle of the night anywhere can be dangerous. I used to work in Los Angeles. Work started at 7am and ended at 3:30 pm. We used to joke that the criminals were still sleeping during that time, because we were never bothered. But, I certainly wouldn’t be walking around there late at night!!</p>

<p>The scumbag who killed that kid fired his gun at someone else a few blocks away at a gas station off 10th ave. The bullet obviously missed his intended target and struck the kid in the head a few blocks away. There was nothing that apartment complex could’ve done to prevent that from occurring.</p>

<p>lil bro is very happy with his off campus apartment at University Downs off 15th st. They offer an all inclusive package (cable, internet, electricity, etc etc) that comes out to about $600 a month per student for a 2br 2 ba. It’s technically within walking distance to campus but it would be a hike. But a bike ride would only take 5 mins</p>

<p>DD lives in Sterling Crimson. When we signed the lease we were not aware of the neighborhood. I think if we had known that it was a little sketchy we probably would have looked elsewhere. the complex itself is very nice…all the amenities…pool, gym, 42 inch flat screen, wireless, parking, security gate both at the entrance and as you enter the building. You have the option of getting it furnished. yo do pay electric but it is less that $30 a month. She pays $605 furnished but does not have a view of the pool…those are $10 more. For us this is actually just a 1 semester thing…she will be moving into the House at semester and a random roommate will be placed in her room if she cannot find a subletter. It is 8 tenths of mile form campus…very walkable and perfect on game day but i would not walk it alone at night.</p>