Out of State Tuition Waiver

<p>How difficult is it to receive the $1000 for the out of state tuition waiver if you will not qualify for anything need-based? When would you find out if you had received it or not?</p>

<p>I’m interested to hear what people have I say, I’m hoping for this too.</p>

<p>The waiver is based on receiving scholarships that qualify for the waiver - there are both need and non-need based ones. Your chances are unique depending on which scholarships you qualify for, some are membership based (corps, honors, major, dept, etc) some are university wide. How hard is it? Corp scholarships (IMO) are the easiest, just join the corps. The others vary based on your competition. We noticed that the ones we know with freshman 4 year OOS waivers were basically in the top 1-5%, with some ‘wow’ item on their resume- but, that could be just who we know. The time frame for finding out about scholarships seemed to be late Jan - March, but some additional scholarships did come in much later. There isn’t a specific date for scholarship notification - each group is on its own timeline. Good luck!</p>

<p>Thank you so much AGmomx2! How much time would the corps take up? I really want to be in a sorority so I don’t know if I could do it all with an engineering major. I got a 2100 on my SAT and have a 4.23 GPA on a 4.0 scale and my school does not rank, but I was estimated to be top 25% by A&M, do these help or is it likely not enough?</p>

<p>Mine are not in the corps, but they are both Greeks. Greek life can take up lots of time or not too much depending on your involvement level ( leadership, activities, etc.). Your first year you will have one or two meetings a week (pledge class mtg. & whole sorority mtg) for the first semester, second semester & beyond just once a week. If you want a leadership position, you will spend much more time based on the specific position. It is unusual for Corps members to be Greek, but it does happen. I do know that Engineering majors are in sororities & they do just fine. Greeks do have required GPAs, so you will have to stay organized if you’re going to try to do it all. Regarding scholarships, it depends on what your whole resume looks like - very few are based solely on GPA/scores - but sounds like you have a good start. There are corps parents on here - hopefully one of them can enlighten you on the corps. I’m sure the corps will also call you – they called both of mine.</p>

<p>Thank you so much you have been extremely helpful!</p>

<p>Can I join Corps after/if I’m accepted and then get the OOS? When I applied I didn’t specify if I wanted to join during application.</p>

<p>@Smooth76 - I think you should go to the site corps.tamu.edu and figure out how to apply separately for a Corps scholarship, and also schedule a Spend The Night visit with the Corps. You wouldn’t actually join the Corps until your New Student Conference during the summer. However, you can get on their radar and start the ball rolling before that.</p>

<p>@bark39 - your stats are great for a Corps scholarship, but I can’t imagine doing all three (sorority, Corps, engineering) successfully. The Corps does take a lot of time, and you should try Spend The Night before planning to join. There may be exceptions for a few people, but I think that in many ways the Corps takes the place of a fraternity or sorority. In the Corps, you would be part of a unit and hopefully make a lot of friends that you could count on. In my son’s unit, each class year is approximately 15 to 20 people, so that is of a similar size to the Greek organizations.</p>

<p>@whydoicare - I am really not that interesting in joining the Corps to be honest, so how likely is it that I would get a non-Corps merit-based scholarship? Is there anything else that I can do that I might be missing?</p>

<p>top 25% isn’t likely to get you any kind of merit scholarship at tamu, IMO.</p>

<p>the majority of tamu students are top 10% or better.</p>