Parents of the HS Class of 2021 (Part 3)

D21 who is at Williams had an event that took her to Amherst this weekend. The sisters sent us a sweet picture together. Later we found out one tested positive for Strep :grimacing: It really surprised me since never in all of these years of sore throats and tests, not one of us ever had one come back positive. When one mentioned it was going around campus, I was hopeful they didnā€™t pick it up. Not so. Iā€™m just hoping the other doesnā€™t get it, but they were masked up in the picture because they were indoors and it was brief encounter. :crossed_fingers:t4:

1 Like

I see it every day even in the dead of winter! (I live near a university).

1 Like

Polling all parents!

What is the general consensus about study abroad this year? I am excited for my Dā€™s opportunities and all for living life as normal as possibleā€¦ but I canā€™t get some nagging concerns about covid and general physical safety out of the back of my mind. I am sure a lot of it is me getting used to her leaving the nest and flying on her own, but there is more to it than that. See below.

We already agreed to her Maymester in The Netherlands (through her school and led by one of her professors). Dā€™s dad is Dutch, weā€™ve traveled there, she has family there. For those reasons, we were comfortable with that trip. Then a week ago the Dept of State changed the travel advisory to Level 4 Do Not Travel (due to covid and terrorism)! What?! I havenā€™t talked to family members about this yet and of course, a lot could change before April/May (and hopefully does!). This is not typical; we have family travel there regularly.

Now she has applied for a summer abroad in Kenya through SIT (in partnership with her college). It sounds like an amazing opportunity and is perfectly in line with her interests in medicine and healthcare access. It will also expose her to a part of the world she has never experienced and could be a once in a lifetime opportunity. The Dept of State has Kenya at Level 2 Exercise Increased Caution (due to covid and crime/terrorism/kidnapping). Admittedly, my concerns here are related to my own unfamiliarity with travel in this region.

Both programs are well-established and my D has spoken to kids who participated in these trips. Also, a lot could change with covid and general travel advisories before the spring/summer.

My D is 19 so to a certain degree it is her decision. But since we are paying, we get input and veto power! What if this were your kid?

If it were my kid Iā€™d let them go. They both sound like wonderful opportunities.

4 Likes

I agree with going for it @DramaMama2021 Travelling abroad has never been, and will never be, 100% safe.

Where in the Netherlands? D13 did a summer study abroad at Maastricht University and loved it!

3 Likes

Itā€™s at Maastricht. :grinning: They will use chemistry and mass spectrometry to analyze artworks, working with museums and art conservation labs. Sheā€™s a chem major. To be honest, this trip was never really in question, but I was surprised by the alert we got last week and started second guessing myself. We have traveled there enough to feel comfortable, although usually near Amsterdam and Utrecht.

It sounds like Iā€™m probably allowing empty nest syndrome to influence me and cloud my judgement. LOL My D is a fairly experienced international traveler (Mexico, Caribbean, Canada, Western Europe), but other than a school trip to Canada it has all been with us. Time to let go. :cry:

4 Likes

I think every child is different, obviously. Some are more independent and worldly-wise than others. If you think your kid is up for the challenge, then go for it!

In our case, I think my D needs more ā€œseasoning.ā€ Her school offers a very interesting and outstanding program at a university in the UK, where her senior year would begin a 4-year grad program (a total of 7 years) and weā€™re just grappling with the overseas concept when sheā€™s a 20-21 year old. :grinning: Applications have to be submitted next year I believe, as a sophomore.

2 Likes

@DramaMama2021 Because these are quality programs with established history (and if your kiddoā€™s got common, street-smart sense), I would 100% be supportive. Another parent said that itā€™ll never be 100% safe to travel anywhere, so there are risks involved. If your daughter is vaccinated/boostered and sheā€™s with a credible organization, I would let her go. She will learn a ton of life skills. Imagine how her med school app would look and the maturity she will have gained through these experiences!

3 Likes

@sushiritto @MommaLue Thank you. Those are good points and your comments helped put this in perspective. My D is quite independent and self-advocating, so I think she would do well in that area. And yes, this will look great on a med school app, in addition to being enriching on a personal level.

@Momof3B @CollegeNerd67 Thank you for calming my nerves!

Iā€™m extremely grateful she has these opportunities and we can make them happen (if she is even accepted for the Kenya tripā€¦ will know in Dec).

6 Likes

Keep in mind that if the cdc assessed COVID travel risk to the US we would also fall into Level 4.

12 Likes

Well now, that really does put it in perspective!

2 Likes

My D is planning on a study abroad next summer to Spain. I too agree the Kenya opportunity sounds amazing!

3 Likes

My D was there through her business program. Maastricht was home base but they also traveled to Germany, Poland, Budapest & Austria to study business models in those countries. I wish there was time to visit her there because it looked like an awesome city (they went into Amsterdam quite a bit too), but they were busy traveling and was a summer program, not a whole semester.

1 Like

Iā€™d be comfortable with the Netherlands and somewhat hesitant about Kenya. This is due mainly to access to medical care - if there were to be a big COVID surge, would the medical system be strained beyond capacity? If a non COVID medical emergency were to arise, would your child get the care she needs? What % of the population are vaccinated/have access to vaccines? How complete are the COVID-related statistics there? If it werenā€™t for the pandemic, I would not be concerned. I did study abroad in Africa and Asia when I was young and those experiences were life changing. With all that said, she could apply now, keep the option open, and assess public health conditions closer to the time.

For context, I have a kid who is currently living in Europe in an emerging hot spot, which is probably no worse than hot spots that have occurred and are occurring in the US. I know that surges come and go and they are careful but still I canā€™t help but worry when theyā€™re so far away.

2 Likes

I vote to let her go :slight_smile: I know some kids are more sheltered and more dependent, but it doesnā€™t sound like that applies to your daughter and I think she would make the most of the trip. Also, regarding safety, Iā€™ve lived elsewhere in the world, and my friends from places like Australia and Singapore view the USA as a risky place to visit due to Covid outbreaks and mass shootings. So some of it is perspective!

2 Likes

My D will be there for a Maymester, only 4 weeks. Kids are on their own Thursday - Sunday, and in years past have been allowed to travel to other countries. As of now, all travel is limited to The Netherlands due to covid. Obviously my D hopes that changes, but if not there is plenty to do there. Iā€™m glad the program is taking a cautious approach to making these experiences available in the ā€œcovid world.ā€

2 Likes

@rbc2018 & @Juno16 You both brought this into perspective! Thank you! Hey, I live in Atlanta and some friends here in the USA think I must live in a violent, crime-zone!

@mamaedefamilia Thank you for sharing that. You have done a much better job than me explaining my concerns about Kenya. I need to do more research, for sure. If she is accepted to the internship, I will dive into that. There is comfort in the internship is with the CDC and Kenyan Institute of Health (I think that is the name) so hopefully means access to some of the best doctors and medical facilities in country.

ETA: Thank you, @TVBingeWatcher2! It helps to know others are moving forward with study abroad plans. I hope your D has an amazing time.

4 Likes

Any parents here whose had kids transfer from a junior college to a major university? Iā€™m helping a kid with his transfer app and just wondering if they expect the same ECā€™s like they would kids applying directly from high school? Funding is limited so I want to help him prioritize his schools. I donā€™t think his ECā€™s are as strong but not sure if universities care more about the GPA (3.9) and less on the ECā€™s with transfers. Thx!!

GPA is way more important. Depends on the school, but the transfer apps my son completed didnā€™t even ask about ECs. Does the CDS list the relative importance in the transfer section? That might be the place to look.

Whatever is happening now in the Netherlands and other parts of Europe, huge covid surges, vaccine mandates, riots etc. will be over by May. One way or another. Herd immunity or not, numbers will be down by May.

2 Likes