Pitt Merit Aid thread - Class of 2027

Try this link, then go to the menu bar on the left and click financials:

https://prd.ps.pitt.edu/psp/pitcsprd/EMPLOYEE/SA/s/WEBLIB_HCX_GN.H_DASHBOARD.FieldFormula.IScript_Main

1 Like

Thank you!

2 Likes

We head to Pitt tomorrow for the MVP event Friday & Accepted Student Day Saturday. Staying at the Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center. Does anyone know if we can walk to Pitt from the hotel or will we need to drive over? The MVP event begins at Alumni Hall (7th Floor Auditorium)

Also, if any of you have done an accepted student day, do the students get to pick and choose the agenda? If so, any recommendations or ā€œmust-seeā€ things? We did a Blue & Gold day last summer and did a bus tour of the city rather than full campus tour, so we should probably do the lower campus tour (we will dress warm!)

Thanks!

5 Likes

That hotel is right next to campus. No need to move your car until youā€™re ready to head home. Have fun!

2 Likes

Thread has kind of drifted from merit aid.

2 Likes

Yes, sorry! I donā€™t think there is a separate thread for 2023 honors so maybe someone should create one? And my hotel/tour question was definitely off topic-apologies, was just trying to find a quick answer.

3 Likes

I think you can pose this question on the Pitt Class of 2027 forum

1 Like

Huge sold out menā€™s basketball final home game tomorrow vs Syracuse and Pitt is on fire! Expect a lot of traffic but a lot of Pitt spirit if they win, LOL. The victory lights will turn blue and gold at Cathy if they win.

You will see a lot of construction on both upper and lower campus. This is going to last a long time. One major project is until 2024 and itā€™s my D22 major walking route to classes and very annoying. The Pitt News student run paper has written about it.

Itā€™s supposed to be around 50 degrees so you should get a good idea of campus vibe as more students will be out and about.

Have fun and be safe navigating traffic and busses!

4 Likes

You will be able to walk from the Wyndham. It is practically on campus.
There is a Basketball game tomorrow at 5. It is sold out but try to get to a TV preferably on campus or even in the restaurant at the Wyndham. You will really feel the Panther Pride. Have a wonderful weekend.
H2P :blue_heart::yellow_heart::blue_heart::yellow_heart::blue_heart:

4 Likes

My daughter is a nursing major so in general her classes are pretty small. But her English class has 19 people which is rather small. I think her biggest class was Psych and it was over 100. All of her classes are Professor led. Most of her labs are TA taught or assisted. She finds the TAā€™s in Chem, Bio and Micro to be super helpful. They often lead study sessions for the students. All of her professors have standing Zoom office hours and also allow in person hours by request. She hasnā€™t had any issues getting extra help. Her advisor is super nice but she does often take 2-3 days to reply to emails. Her Chem teacher first semester she cried the last day of class, and he even made it on her Instagram lol, so yes! Definitely forming great bonds. Again, I can only speak to her experience as a Nursing major, but hope this helps a bit.

This weekend on campus will be awesome due to the game, although the weather is not great. I would walk Forbes and Fifth Aves to get a feel for the on campus vibe of students, shops, places to eat etc. If you havenā€™t eaten at Primantiā€™s that would be a fun spot to watch the game.

Wyndham is very convenient. I would suggest you park in the Soldiers and Sailors garage. It will be cheaper than hotel parking and you can head in and out all weekend easily.

3 Likes

Folks, this is a merit aid thread.

2 Likes

Maybe some moderator can wave a magic wand and magic this discussion into another thread? Would it be better in the main Pitt thread?

4 Likes

Here is the general Pitt thread, where these tangential conversations would be more appropriate:

3 Likes

Wondering is Chancellor scholarship kids have gotten an invite yet. Would love to know when kids do, I think we need to celebrate them and cheer them on.

5 Likes

This is what I am wondering too. It would be a long shot for S23 (bc it is for everyone) but I would like to just stop wondering about things! So many apps and open items yet

5 Likes

Sorry wrong thread

1 Like

Entry level classes can be very large. My daughter had Chem 1 and 2 and Bio 1 and 2 classes that had 200-300 kids. Professors taught the class, but TAs sat in the lectures as well. Recitations were much smaller and labs are small. She has a biochem class right now that has about 120-150 students in it. Other generic classes are pretty big too, communications, macroeconomics etc. However she has never had problems reaching a professor or TA during office hours for help. Next year she starts into major specific classes and expects them to be much smaller (20-30 students)

1 Like

Almost the end of the month, and no news on merit (sadly); got accepted back in Sept - good SAT, GPA, ECs, National merit finalist etc. Received merit & Honors from other schools (higher/lower ranked), but not from Pitt which has been my first choice. Also waitlisted for Honors.

Guess you win some and wait on others :slight_smile:

Any suggestions for me?

2 Likes

It does appear this year Pitt is using merit as a tool to fill the class they want, as opposed to giving merit strictly on the basis of academic stats. Itā€™s been said Pitt is moving away from merit aid to financial aid on the basis of need. If chancellorā€™s doesnā€™t come through, my kid would move on too. Few years ago, my other kid with slightly lower stat had full tuition waiver, but this round, zilch!

2 Likes