Pitt Merit Aid thread - Class of 2027

Chancellor invites were sent out today. Not sure if they were all sent out or if they just began rolling them out. But thought I would post for those that are asking.

5 Likes

Yes, I think itā€™s time for us to move on. No invite here. Itā€™s all good. I appreciate all the info on this site and wish everyone well! :grinning:

3 Likes

By email? In portal?

My OOS son got 8k merit aid and was pending Honors college invite. We are moving on and will give up the seat in CS in next few weeks.

2 Likes

The invite came by email

3 Likes

@OHToCollege As the mother of a sophomore @ Pitt in the business school, and as a Pitt Grad myself, a few thoughts: 1) Pitt has never been generous with merit compared to other large state universities 2) Pittā€™s holistic application review is real and has been this way before ā€œholisticā€ was truly a ā€œthingā€. 3) Pitt builds a team. In my opinion, it will be difficult for applicants seeking merit with very little extra curriculars to add beyond academics.

5 Likes

So your child received an invite to interview for Chancellorā€™s? Wow! Congrats!

1 Like

What do you mean about being holistic before holistic was a thing? Prior to 2020, Pitt wouldnā€™t even accept honors or activities lists in any format. Acceptances were based on GPA, test scores, and rigor.

3 Likes

Yes, she did. She had to decline the interview though because she received her official letter that she is a 2023 Pitt Stamps Scholar yesterday. So obviously, the two scholarship processes are independent of one another. She will be committing to Pitt and she canā€™t believe how fortunate she has been.

I do hope your visit with Pitt went well this past weekend.

6 Likes

If you get on Pittā€™s UG Catalog page (https://catalog.upp.pitt.edu/), you can search for classes and you can see the cap (maximum number of seats) for each course. I typically check what freshmen courses my S23 has to take in his major and check the cap on those courses. I know this takes some time, but if you really worried about class size and want to get good information this is the best. The published student to faculty ratios are useless and class size - as others mentioned it - will be major and year specific.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s amazing! Congrats to her! We had a very nice visit! The MVP multicultural event was welcoming, informative and fun. Many colleges ā€œtalk the talkā€ about wanting to increase diversity and create a home for all backgrounds but Pitt truly ā€œwalks the walkā€ as evidenced by staffing dedicated to diversity & inclusion, educational programs and courses and events like this. Very impressive!

5 Likes

@skitcher congrats to your amazing kid!!

1 Like

Congrats to you as well! We were turned down for Stamps :slightly_frowning_face: - but I see it why now. :wink: No worries, S23 received tuition exchange (full tuition) so we are very happy and excited.

3 Likes

Great news on the TE! Congrats! I looked further up and I see that your child is going into CS. Seems CS was a tough sell for merit this year, so bravo!

And when we weā€™re driving home from the in-person interview for Stamps, my daughter had said that all of the candidates were so amazing. She said she would be surprised to receive the scholarship but she would be happy if any of the people in her interviewing cohort got it because they all seemed more than deserving.

1 Like

Yes, we feel super lucky. I feel the same way as your daughter: reading these threads I realize how many amazing kids with great stats and accomplishments are out there. Wishing luck to everyone - if not at Pitt then somewhere else!

Congrats to your daughter. How exciting for you all.

And reading about these kids committing to Pitt makes me excited for them to grow together!

2 Likes

My son was admitted to the honors college and has exceptional stats, but received no merit aid. We will be focusing on other opportunities that he has. Wish everyone the very best. Pitt is a great school, your kids will flourish there.

6 Likes

I wish you the best. My kid has excellent stats, was not invited to honors and received merit. I guess they try to spread things aroundā€¦

1 Like

Hi there! Help! Anyone know how to try to find merit aid awards? We checked the documents and the other instructions listed here through the portal under ā€œfinancial aidā€. We are finding conflicting information about award datesā€¦ March 1 and April 1.

1 Like