Pitt Merit Aid thread - Class of 2027

wow. Congratulations. That is amazing.

2 Likes

The only information I have is what they post on their website:

University Scholarships are the most common type of merit award and are primarily based on academic performance in high school. Criteria include weighted grade point average, rigor of curriculum (AP/IB/Honors courses), class rank (if applicable), and SAT/ACT results (if applicable). In addition, various non-numerical, holistic factors, as presented in the personal statement or Common Application essay, that describe the candidateā€™s background are also a part of the review process. These holistic factors allow for a diverse and multi-talented student body. Holistic criteria may include exceptional and unique talents; commitment to community service and leadership; significant family, job, or community responsibility; and contributions to cultural, economic, or racial diversity.

Number, Value, and Term of University Scholarships
University Scholarships range from $2,000 per year to $20,000 per year. University Scholarships are available for four years/eight semesters of undergraduate study provided the recipient maintains a 3.00 cumulative grade point average and meets all other terms and conditions of the award. Learn more about requirements governing University Scholarships.

Notification of Award
Due to the competitiveness of University Scholarships, most admitted students are reviewed by the Scholarship Committee several times before a final decision is made. As a result, those students selected to receive an award will be notified anytime between late-October and March 1 regardless of date admitted. Only students who are selected to receive an award will be notified.

Eligibility Requirements

• U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
2 Likes

@kat23 My daughter had basically identical stats to yours (including a 1420 SAT) and got $5,000 a year to Dietrich. Sometimes it depends on the undergraduate college.

@E_H1 Pitt merit awards are sent about two weeks after admissions decisions.

Thatā€™s probably the earliest you would hear about an award, but Pitt sends out merit awards through the end of February and it is possible that someone who applied early wonā€™t get a merit award until much later.

2 Likes

Where does your information come from? It runs counter to some of the experiences reported in the admissions thread, and counter to Pittā€™s FAQ on the subject:

When will I hear about Pitt Scholarships?

Review for scholarships is rolling. The Scholarship Committee meets weekly from October-February and sends out decisions weekly. It is not uncommon for a student to be reviewed by the committee several times before an offer is made, so donā€™t worry if you donā€™t hear back right away! Everyone who is selected to receive a scholarship will hear back from us by March 1 at the latest.

My info is from several dozen people I know accepted to Pitt as well as the vast majority of posts over the past two years (and my own experience). Most people hear within two weeks of acceptance. After that the odds of getting merit are greatly diminished.

1 Like

Are merit aids decided by major? Have any CS admits received awards yet?

2 Likes

@Gatormama did a spreadsheet last year of those on CC that reported merit. You can ask her for access to it as sheā€™s been very gracious to share with everyone.

Also, you could ask in the Pitt Class of 2027 discussion thread because some people have posted over there and not in here.

2 Likes

Not this CS admit - admitted 9/19 (one week after submitted). Strong test scores, rigorous course load, and strong GPA. OOS. Was hoping to hear by now.

1 Like

Ditto for my student, admitted to SCI 9/29 after 9/19 submission.

She wonā€™t need the merit, but it would certainly sweeten the deal, so itā€™s of interest to see if any does come at this point.

$20k, or $5k a year for 4 years. In state, 1540 SAT, 4.0 UW GPA, extremely rigorous course load, lots of APs and activities but no state or national awards.

Applied late August, accepted early Sept., received merit letter right at the time FAFSA was submitted. We cannot afford this so sheā€™ll keep on trucking. Best of luck to everyone!

1 Like

My daughter received $10k a year for School of Computing & Information. Her intended major is Digital Narrative and Interactive Design. OOS, 3.95 UW with 12 APs, 35 ACT, varied ECs with a focus on Game Dev and a couple of national awards.

Applied September 27th, accepted October 13th, and received the merit letter October 25th, though she just saw it today!

4 Likes

My DD 2021 was accepted to Pitts CS, but only received $2000/year merit (she was accepted within a week of applying in October, and didnā€™t hear about merit until January). Her stats were: Gpa 4.0 unweighted, 4.76 weighted, 13 APs, Mv Calc senior year, 1570 SAT (taken once due to COVID), science research, etc. She was a National merit scholar. She is now a sophomore at UPenn. I think they are less likely to give merit to high stats kids applying to CS.

2 Likes

DS applied 9/7 and was admitted OOS to Dietrich 10/19. Just received (11/3) $10k/year merit for undergrad (and was accepted earlier to law GAP with a $20k/year law scholarship).

4 Likes

My DS also admitted to law GAP with same scholarship. What are your sonā€™s stats for undergrad merit?

Question for those who might know: In past years did students who were considered for or received named Pitt Scholarships and/or Tuition Exchange receive additional merit awards earlier on as well? Is there any hope for merit of any kind if a student was admitted in early September and hasnā€™t received any merit yet? Any advice?

1 Like

My son applied 10/3. Got accepted into Bioengineering on 10/21. Received $40,000 ($10,000 a year) merit scholarship on 11/1. 8 APs, 5s on all, 1500 SAT, very high GPA, very involved (Captain of xc, President Model UN. Bioolympiad National Semifinalist, NHS, lots of volunteer). Heā€™s going to be applying for additional scholarships at Pitt. Heā€™s aiming very high (has REA in at Stanford, EA UNC Chapel Hill, Umich, Purdue, Madison, GA tech) RD Princeton, Harvard, Penn, Case Western, Johnā€™s Hopkins. Pitt is an excellent option for him. Because of the high reach he wants, Pitt allows him to do a LOT with research, study abroad, etc. APs and DE will allow him to basically have more than 30 credits. Iā€™d be happy if he ended up there.

9 Likes

lots of folks didnā€™t received merit in september but did later on.

3 Likes

Like weeks later, or months later?

3 Likes