Possibility of being rescinded from Davis/Santa Barbara because of a D 1st semester

<p>During the fall of 08, I took a job at California’s Great America (a theme park) and that kinda messed up my grades. My mom had just received a notice that she would be laid off from her job so I felt as though I had to help out my family somehow, even with a minimum wage paying job. The D I got was in AP Biology, and I got into Davis and SB as a bio major. Yeah, can’t make this stuff up.</p>

<p>Does anyone here know about how likely Davis or Santa Barbara are to rescind admission based off of that grade?</p>

<p>I do have a fallback school (University of the Pacific), where I applied to their accelerated law program and was accepted to. They had me do an interview with them and I explained my situation, and they took me anyways. </p>

<p>This D is still really freaking me out though.</p>

<p>For Davis and SB, it should be okay as long as you notify them of your situation ASAP.</p>

<p>Well, I told them right after I received notice of my acceptance. Pray for me, college confidential. :(</p>

<p>We are in the same boat as you with my daughter, but here the reason is the teacher. His tests are very hard, he uses MIT lectures which these high schoolers are not understanding. Grades are based on tests only. She ended up in D with only 0.3% less than C. We posted the grade even before the decisions came out. Just waiting to hear from Davis. She has good backup of private schools with good scholarship amount but Davis is close to home and her top choice. Please post if you get any reply from them.</p>

<p>Good Luck! But I was just wondering, that law program is pretty good. Why not just attend UOP?</p>

<p>Mainly, money. I don't know how much financial aid I can get from UOP just yet.</p>

<p>I thought that admissions to all UC schools required maintaining a 3.0 unweighted or better for senior year AND no D's or F's.</p>

<p>^If you write to them and have a plausible reason, it should be okay. I know 2 seniors who got Ds and called the admissions office 2 years ago, and they were told to do better 2nd semester.</p>

<p>Yea should be ok if you notify them asap. Berkeley even allowed a D.</p>

<p>^ really?</p>

<p>That's odd. UCSC does not accept D's at all. I don't understand it since it is a lower-tier.</p>

<p>musicluver, Davis admissions have been out for 2 weeks now. Check the online UCDavis account or contact them.</p>

<p>She already got into Davis and we posted the reason also. We are waiting to hear what wil be their reaction.</p>

<p>88888888, Do you know exactly what is the case when Berkeley accepted 'D'?</p>

<p>They sent me a response... that my letter was forwarded to a counselor. That's all.</p>

<p>may i ask if you've heard back from them yet? the same thing happened to my sister in AP Calc and haven't heard from davis for about a week now. by the way did you email them or hand-write a letter? thanks.</p>

<p>Still, no replies. They sent me financial aid packages and invites to their open campus things, but other than that, nothing</p>

<p>Did they send you a financial package by mail?</p>

<p>same, my sister also received her fin aid package and invites but nothing about the D. its like acceptance letters all over again-.-. did not get hard copy of fin aid but received a card mailed to us stating her fin aid is on-line.</p>

<p>I'm in the same situation as some of you guys. I received an F in my last semester of AP Calculus as well as Bruin10's sister, and I recently e-mailed UCSB to see if I was going to be rescinded, and today I received an e-mail that said:</p>

<p>Dear ******,</p>

<p>As long as you have maintained an overall B average GPA during your senior year, the low grade in AP Calculus will not affect your admission status.</p>

<p>Best wishes,</p>

<p>Office of Admissions
UCSB</p>

<p>So I'm guessing one failing grade doesn't matter to UCSB as long as the class is not required and you remain a 3.0 GPA which is most likely weighted. However, I also e-mailed UCSD about it because I got accepted there and I still haven't received a response. I'll keep you posted on what UCSD says since UC Davis and UCSD are kind of similar with their admissions contract. Good luck and congrats on getting in!</p>

<p>I hope we'll get the same response agenalay. crosses fingers XX. How long did it take for UCSB to respond to you?</p>