Presidential Scholarship

My current HS Junior daughter will likely qualify for a Presidential Scholarship for 2016. However, from what I have read, this would not necessarily mean that she would be accepted into the Honors program. I believe that this could be a deal breaker for her.

When do scholarship students find out about acceptance into the Honors program and any additional scholarship awards?

Thanks so much

If your student qualifies for the Presidential Scholarship then she WILL qualify and be accepted into the Honors College without any question.

<<<
However, from what I have read, this would not necessarily mean that she would be accepted into the Honors program.

[QUOTE=""]

[/QUOTE]

???

I’m not sure where you read that (where did you read that???), but if your D applies, she will get into the HC 100%.

Honestly I can’t remember where I read it, but I am pretty sure it must have been on CC. I’ll look back and try to find it. But I know that I did read the UA website and while it says that the National Merit students are automatic admits into the HC, it does not say that Presidential scholars are. So I assume that though it might be rare, it is not impossible to be a Presidential scholar and not accepted into the HC.
PS thanks for the info ccforlife :slight_smile:

From UA: What are the qualifications for being admitted to the Honors College?

Starting Fall 2014, entering freshmen with composite ACT scores of at least 28 or composite SAT scores of at least 1250 (verbal and quantitative) and at least a 3.50 high school GPA are invited to apply to the Honors College. Upon receipt of their Honors College freshmen applications, all National Merit Finalists and National Achievement Finalists are admitted automatically. Students will be notified of their acceptance by mail. Admission to the Computer-Based Honors Program and the University Fellows Experience is a more involved admissions process reserved for incoming freshmen.

If you have those qualifications, then you’re admitted.

The required test scores for the Presudential Scholarship are higher than the required test scores for admittance to the HC whether in state or out of state.

Although I have no experience with the Honors College at Alabama, the Honors colleges at the universities in my state have made it clear during information sessions that they are very competitive and that the requirements posted on their websites are minimum requirements and do not guarantee admission to the honors college. I’d contact the Honors College directly to be sure. Good luck.

That ^^^ is not true at Alabama.

UA does NOT have competitive admissions to the Honors College. Any applicant that has the minimum stats and applies will get admitted.

Other schools do things differently. At UA, there is no guesswork.

However, for CBHP and UFE admissions, those are highly competitive.

@carolinamom2boys

OP, the students still need to apply to HC. :slight_smile: It is an automatic acceptance with the GPA and standardized testing stats.

As mom2ck said, there are some highly competitive specific HC programs at UA - CBHP and UFE, and then HC programs that take more students like Emerging Scholars (can get into research as a freshman) and the STEM MBA program - which my DD is in. All 4 of these HC programs are in addition to HC program.

HC gives priority class registration, which is great. For second semester, when registration opened for DD, her #1 schedule pick was accepted in seconds. Ditto for her 3rd, fall term 2015 schedule.

At UA, these HC programs give students the best of both worlds, with opportunities a large school can provide while also having tailored experiences.

Thanks for the info!

Yes don’t forget to apply as it is a separate application on the website you complete AFTER you are accepted into UA.

Thanks!